Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Anyone planning on going to the tournament? I wonder how much attendance will be down overall, considering coronavirus?? Could be weirdly quiet in the venue.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Anyone planning on going to the tournament? I wonder how much attendance will be down overall, considering coronavirus?? Could be weirdly quiet in the venue.
    Tickets in the upper corners for our game are going for about $8.50 each on Stubhub. Or about $50 after their fees. 😏.

(Their fees are about 50% surcharge.g

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    Does anyone know why ESPN/the ACC schedules only two hours between start times of the Wednesday-Friday doubleheader games ? They have done this before. No way two hours is sufficient.
    Just one of those quirky traditions.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We got a bit of bad luck in terms of our path. Our quarterfinal opponent will be either State, Pitt, or Wake. All three gave us trouble at some point this season, although the Wake loss was fluky.

Should be a tough path to a title for us: State/Pitt/Wake, then likely FSU, then likely one of two of the teams that beat us this year (Louisville/UVa).

If we win, that will likely be a pretty impressive 3-day run.
    I agree with CDu. I feel we like we got bad luck with our draw. I think one of the toughest matchups for us this year, among the middle tier teams, is N.C. State. Markell Johnson just carved us up for 3 halves this year; we seem to bring out the best in him. I know the zone worked for us last week, and I was thrilled to be in Cameron to witness our comeback last Monday night. But Keatts will be ready for the zone this time. And I thought Hellems was effective in the middle of the zone. Of course this assumes State wins their first game, which I think they will.

If we can get by State, though, I would rather be playing against Fla. State than Louisville. Not just because because we won, but because I think we match up better with them.

We have gone for the last 10 years. But for reasons that have nothing to do with coronavirus, will not be going this year.

I was really sad about it, but in light of all the recent events, have decided that it’s probably for the best this year.

I wonder how all this will affect the ticket scalpers, that normally command pretty high prices outside the arena.

Could be. The Ivy League just cancelled their tournament. Harvard just told its students to not come back from Spring Break. They'll hold their classes by video for the rest of the school year. Things are happening fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Could be. The Ivy League just cancelled their tournament. Harvard just told its students to not come back from Spring Break. They'll hold their classes by video for the rest of the school year. Things are happening fast.
    I imagine the tournament will go on via almost any means necessary. It's all TV bucks, so if the NCAA has to play it in an empty arena in fairbanks, they will.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The Governor has declared a state of emergency in NC, but has not asked the ACC tournament to make any changes. There are currently 7 known cases in NC, but I guess that could change rapidly. As far as UNC goes, my understanding is that there has been some talk of holding all classes remotely and asking the staff (like me) to work at home, but so far it is only discussions.

Howard

Seems to me pretty reasonable that if we want to be ACC Champs, we should have to be able to beat FSU and then either VA or Lville...having said that, the tournament has a way of springing surprises...very possible we end up playing someone else, OR we just don't get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    The Governor has declared a state of emergency in NC, but has not asked the ACC tournament to make any changes. There are currently 7 known cases in NC, but I guess that could change rapidly. As far as UNC goes, my understanding is that there has been some talk of holding all classes remotely and asking the staff (like me) to work at home, but so far it is only discussions.

Howard
    My understanding is that the declaration was needed to get access to certain federal funds. Folks will need to make personal decisions about the tourney. 5 ACC coaches over the age of 69.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    As far as UNC goes, my understanding is that there has been some talk of holding all classes remotely and asking the staff (like me) to work at home, but so far it is only discussions.
    I heard that UNC was moving to all paper classes, and would have tutors complete all of the players’ assignments so they don’t have to ever step foot in a classroom. When told of the news, the basketball and football teams asked what was actually changing.

Wait, UNC is playing a game today? Didn't realize the ACC tournament started this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Wait, UNC is playing a game today? Didn't realize the ACC tournament started this early.
    This is the Les Robinson Invitational...

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Not for everyone -- hah!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is the Les Robinson Invitational...
    Les Robinson Invitational referred to the first day of a four day ACC Tournament (Thursday back in the good old days when it finished on Sunday). Since this is the first day of a five day ACC Tournament, perhaps we can call this the Roy Williams Invitational, with tomorrow remaining Les Robinson?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Les Robinson Invitational referred to the first day of a four day ACC Tournament (Thursday back in the good old days when it finished on Sunday). Since this is the first day of a five day ACC Tournament, perhaps we can call this the Roy Williams Invitational, with tomorrow remaining Les Robinson?
    Either that or the Danny Manning invitational?

Tournament is underway. Wake and Pitt tied at 8 early.
    Bob Green

We got a bit of bad luck in terms of our path. Our quarterfinal opponent will be either State, Pitt, or Wake. All three gave us trouble at some point this season, although the Wake loss was fluky.
    If you compare possible QF opponents among the top 4 seeds, I like our bracket better than FSU's (Clemson) or Louisville's (UNC's). Clemson has a really good defense and plays a 5-out style that is hard for us to guard, and UNC is perhaps playing the best out of all the possible QF opponents.

It is only UVA (Notre Dame) that I would trade with. Wouldn't you agree?

Should be a tough path to a title for us: State/Pitt/Wake, then likely FSU, then likely one of two of the teams that beat us this year (Louisville/UVa).
    The current bracket guarantees we only have to play one of Louisville/UVA and so could be viewed as a positive. I mean, if we're trying to avoid "teams that beat us," playing FSU in the semis is preferable to other arrangements where we'd potentially have to face *both* Lville and UVA. (Note: I don't necessarily put much stock into whether opponents had previously beaten us or not).

If we win, that will likely be a pretty impressive 3-day run.
    I agree, but I think it's because winning the ACC tournament is hard in general, not because we were particularly unlucky with the draw. I think it's a decent draw compared to alternatives we could've drawn.

Halftime: Wake 41, Pitt 40.

Entertaining game. I’m looking forward to watching the 2nd half.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ... Since this is the first day of a five day ACC Tournament, perhaps we can call this the Roy Williams Invitational, with tomorrow remaining Les Robinson?
    That's banner worthy. The Roy Williams Invitational Trophy banner for First Team out of the Second Play In Game..
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'