Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Congrats to Tre Jones and Vernon Carey!

Tre wins ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. Vernon wins unanimous Rookie of the Year. Both are on the All-ACC First Team, with Vernon receiving the most votes. Congrats also to Cassius Stanley for making the ACC All Freshman team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Tre wins ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. Vernon wins unanimous Rookie of the Year. Both are on the All-ACC First Team, with Vernon receiving the most votes. Congrats also to Cassius Stanley for making the ACC All Freshman team.
    Wow, Tre POY. It's hard to argue with the selection. My first reaction was, "really, POY?" Then to consider everything he does for Duke it makes perfect sense. Well deserved.

Cole Anthony way down on the third team. old roy will use that to get him to stay another year..

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Wow, Tre POY. It's hard to argue with the selection. My first reaction was, "really, POY?" Then to consider everything he does for Duke it makes perfect sense. Well deserved.
    Not bad a for a player assessed on the premier Duke fan site -- ahem -- as a "below-average offensive guard."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not bad a for a player assessed on the premier Duke fan site -- ahem -- as a "below-average offensive guard."
    Two players from the same class back to back ACC POY - impressive- Joey Baker has some pressure on him

Congratulations to our guys, there are definitely some weird results and anomalies such as:

-Vernon is the lead vote getter for All ACC first team but gets no POY votes?

-UNC comes in last in the conference yet gets 2 players on the ALL ACC teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Well, Carolina has had 1 win against a ranked opponent all year, so I guess 2 All ACC is about right. Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.

Congratulations to our guys, there are definitely some weird results and anomalies such as:

That’s what COY caliber coaching can do for a team. Oh wait.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.
    I agree that they are both good enough, but I always thought that winning was part of the unspoken requirement for these types of things. Is this evidence of the UNC journalism cabal?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Well, Carolina has had 1 win against a ranked opponent all year, so I guess 2 All ACC is about right. Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.
    Well, no. The big problem was that they had a bunch of injuries and were very weak after their starting 5 (even when healthy).

Honestly, Anthony could have been left off the All-ACC list by virtue of having missed so many conference games. But him as a 3rd Team guy is fine. But the problem for UNC was that they played about 15-20 games this season missing one of their key starters. When you have no depth, losing one of your best players is backbreaking.

No tears to be shed, but I don't really put this one on the coaching staff. Sometimes, you just have bad luck. About time UNC faced some of that bad luck .

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Two players from the same class back to back ACC POY - impressive- Joey Baker has some pressure on him
    Well, after red-shirting last year, Baker has 3 years to get the job done. Oh wait...

Congrats Tre! You have been an awesome leader for us this year!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Congrats also to Cassius for making All-ACC Freshman team.

From what I heard Duke didn't nominate Vernon for POY. I'm guessing so that he had Tre didn't split votes. That might have made Nwora the POY

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, no. The big problem was that they had a bunch of injuries and were very weak after their starting 5 (even when healthy).

Honestly, Anthony could have been left off the All-ACC list by virtue of having missed so many conference games. But him as a 3rd Team guy is fine. But the problem for UNC was that they played about 15-20 games this season missing one of their key starters. When you have no depth, losing one of your best players is backbreaking.

No tears to be shed, but I don't really put this one on the coaching staff. Sometimes, you just have bad luck. About time UNC faced some of that bad luck .
    Just like UVa won a ton of close games- UNC lost them. The outcomes of their two seasons could have been reversed. UNC will be back so we need to enjoy the bad luck when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1206 View Post
    From what I heard Duke didn't nominate Vernon for POY. I'm guessing so that he had Tre didn't split votes. That might have made Nwora the POY
    Good call, I just read that myself and I bet you are correct as to why.

Great news! But, what, no JRob votes for POY?

Seriously, Tre winning POY is reminiscent of the year Chris Carrawell won it. It's the desire, and both the willingness and unwillingness to fail, at the same time.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Alright stat geeks does anyone know the last person to win both ACC POY and Defensive POY year in the same season? Has it been done before?

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Alright stat geeks does anyone know the last person to win both ACC POY and Defensive POY year in the same season? Has it been done before?
    Nevermind it's Brogdon from Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Malcolm Brogdon.