Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Sports app recommendations

    I've been meaning to post this for a while...does anyone here have a good sports app recommendation? I've been wanting to switch away from ESPN for a while for a number of reasons.

    Ideally would be a clean look (easy on the eyes), lightweight (not a lot of bloat, one of my issues with ESPN), and have a high degree of customization for scoreboards (I want to see the scores of my different favorite teams across multiple leagues/sports in one place).

    Bonus points if there is an app that lets me add individual games to my "home" or "favorites" on the fly, so I can follow a specific game without having to follow all the games for a given team.

    So,what are y'alls favorite sports apps?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've been meaning to post this for a while...does anyone here have a good sports app recommendation? I've been wanting to switch away from ESPN for a while for a number of reasons.

    Ideally would be a clean look (easy on the eyes), lightweight (not a lot of bloat, one of my issues with ESPN), and have a high degree of customization for scoreboards (I want to see the scores of my different favorite teams across multiple leagues/sports in one place).

    Bonus points if there is an app that lets me add individual games to my "home" or "favorites" on the fly, so I can follow a specific game without having to follow all the games for a given team.

    So,what are y'alls favorite sports apps?
    I LOVE the Action Network app. It may or may not be the best for you given that it's built for sports bettors, but I find it to have the best user experience of any scoreboard app out there and, just for scores, it's still top flight in my book.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    I think yahoo is the best. Switched to it a few years ago from ESPN and never looked back. Only use ESPN now for live streaming.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    I like theScore mobile app
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  5. #5
    Another vote for theScore. Very clean, doesn't have a lot of nonsense.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I think yahoo is the best. Switched to it a few years ago from ESPN and never looked back. Only use ESPN now for live streaming.
    I, too, use Yahoo. Itís worked well for me (well enough to not seek greener pastures).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I like theScore mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Another vote for theScore. Very clean, doesn't have a lot of nonsense.
    I think we may have a winner. To get what I REALLY wanted took a bit of setup (adding a ton of favorites, and then customizing alerts for each so I don't get bombarded with news about Boston College), but I now get Duke BB/FB, all ACC BB/FB, a few miscellaneous teams, and then the top 25 for each sport all on one page, which was pretty much what I wanted.

    Plus the widget which puts those scores on my home screen. Thanks! (any other suggestions still welcome of course).

    Yahoo is ok, but in the past when I've tried it I didn't find it much better than ESPN, although it was a bit less bloaty/opens faster.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Another vote for theScore. Very clean, doesn't have a lot of nonsense.
    I have used The Score for a couple years. It is clean, simple and reliable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    CBS Sports app

    I use the CBS Sports app, just because it's not ESPN. It's fine, but not great.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    yahoo does everything in a sports app i look for...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    This thread aged well. So which sports app is best now that there are no sports?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Another vote for yahoo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This thread aged well. So which sports app is best now that there are no sports?
    Anything from EA Sports?

    -jk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This thread aged well. So which sports app is best now that there are no sports?
    I'm enjoying YouTube. Watched Ward / Ghatti 1, 2, and 3. Many think round 9 of the first fight is the best ever. Hard to argue. Also watched Mancini / Kim. I watched it live in '82 and I was morbidly curious. Of course the outcome was tragic, but it was a heck of a fight. Both were forgoing defense for offense. There is a well done video of Ray Mancini: The Good Son on there as well. Does a nice job of showing how that fight changed him, and showed a nice meeting with Kim's wife and the son he never knew who is a dentist now. From there it was Mancini / Camacho, then Camacho / Pazienza. Then I started watching Hot Ones - the show where they eat progressively hotter chicken wings. Very entertaining. YouTube sucks you into its vortex.

Similar Threads

  1. France Recommendations
    By pfrduke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 07:41 AM
  2. Laptop Recommendations
    By colchar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
  3. Mattress Recommendations?
    By dukepsy1963 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
  4. GPS Recommendations
    By jimmymax in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •