Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Possibility of a Senior coalition for extra eligibility?

Wasn't sure if this warranted it's own thread, so mods feel free to move if needed...

Assuming March Madness is outright cancelled instead of postponed; what do you think the odds are that we will see a group of seniors across the country band together to lobby for an extra year of eligibility similar to what Northwestern players did about forming a union? It would absolutely wreck havoc on available scholarship numbers, but I think it would be an interesting case to make... Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Wasn't sure if this warranted it's own thread, so mods feel free to move if needed...

Assuming March Madness is outright cancelled instead of postponed; what do you think the odds are that we will see a group of seniors across the country band together to lobby for an extra year of eligibility similar to what Northwestern players did about forming a union? It would absolutely wreck havoc on available scholarship numbers, but I think it would be an interesting case to make... Thoughts?
    I see no reason why they should be given an additional year of eligibility. Since the regular season was over and tournaments partially (or completely in some cases) over, the vast majority had already played all the games that they were going to. For the young men and women that would have had a post-season, there is a loss of games but I don't see how that outweighs the normal season and post-season games are not guaranteed.
    That doesn't mean that they can't try - I just don't see a good argument to grant their request.

Just another reason for the NCAA not to do the selection show. If they never release the bracket, then players can't claim they were in the tournament (except for auto-bid winners).

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I see no reason why they should be given an additional year of eligibility. Since the regular season was over and tournaments partially (or completely in some cases) over, the vast majority had already played all the games that they were going to. For the young men and women that would have had a post-season, there is a loss of games but I don't see how that outweighs the normal season and post-season games are not guaranteed.
    That doesn't mean that they can't try - I just don't see a good argument to grant their request.
    There’s a lot of sports that are just getting going, such as baseball and lacrosse. They did not get to finish a regular season, let alone a post-season.

I also wonder if schools will be able to finish the academic semester/quarter, or if students in general will need to extend their educational stay.

Lots of unknowns right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    There’s a lot of sports that are just getting going, such as baseball and lacrosse. They did not get to finish a regular season, let alone a post-season.

I also wonder if schools will be able to finish the academic semester/quarter, or if students in general will need to extend their educational stay.

You are correct. I focused on basketball as that was part of the OP premise, i.e. the cancellation of March Madness.
    Athletes in other sports would have a much stronger argument regarding their eligibility - effectively, for them, it could be a presumed red shirt season across the entire NCAA sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    You are correct. I focused on basketball as that was part of the OP premise, i.e. the cancellation of March Madness.
    Athletes in other sports would have a much stronger argument regarding their eligibility - effectively, for them, it could be a presumed red shirt season across the entire NCAA sport.
    True, but a lot of those other sports like lacrosse and baseball have very limited scholarships (I think baseball has something like 12.7) so bringing a number of seniors back might not be feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by sbroc012 View Post
    Just another reason for the NCAA not to do the selection show. If they never release the bracket, then players can't claim they were in the tournament (except for auto-bid winners).
    Huh, I had never considered they might do a Selection Show, anyway, despite (very likely) canceling the tournament. But now that you brought it up, I hope they do it. I *think* I would watch, and I think I would participate in the debates afterwards about who would make the Final Four and such. Teams that put together a tournament-quality resume would hopefully find a small measure of satisfaction to being named to the field.

As to your original point, though, I find the likelihood of success for such a lawsuit to be very small regardless of whether a Selection Show occurs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

My S.O.'s granddaughter's boyfriend is a senior on the golf team at Brown. He was notified on Monday that his season was cancelled, and was really, really bummed. Of course, as of this afternoon (Thursday), the ACC has done the same for all spring sports. Major bummer for the senior athletes, but understandable.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    True, but a lot of those other sports like lacrosse and baseball have very limited scholarships (I think baseball has something like 12.7) so bringing a number of seniors back might not be feasible.
    It's really not that hard just to have an exemption, that seniors who gets granted this extra year of eligibility don't count toward the scholarship total limit.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The basketball season was literally over. That's why anything after last weekend is called "The Post Season".
    Sorry for folks in late Spring sports, but for the ones in the winter, such as b-ball, thanks for playing. (And in Duke's case, thanks for playing and being awesome and frustrating and awesome again.)

PS..enjoy your free pass, GT
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Granted, sports are an intriguing aspect of college life that we will miss. BUT what about the academics ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Granted, sports are an intriguing aspect of college life that we will miss. BUT what about the academics ?
    My wife is presently trying to figure out how best to present her course material through some form of online media. Students will be taught. It may be somewhat less effective than what they'd have otherwise gotten, but students will learn.

It is the grades below the college level that are by FAR the bigger problem. BTW, Durham Public Schools just announced that they will be closed after tomorrow (i.e. starting Monday). No specified end date as of now.

Many schools are already doing virtual (remote) classes. My nephew goes to Dayton. Feel bad for them. Probably a 1 seed with a chance to compete.

Why would seniors only get the extra year if something needed to be done? Just because it was their last chance they should get another? What about the Junior at a small school that won their AQ who next year would be needing to win their senior year and fails? He had 3 chances if you take out this year and that senior would get 4 over his career?

Either everyone gets one more shot since it was taken from everyone or no one does. Should be no special treatment for the senior class, it happened to everyone.

Every member of the 2006 Duke men’s lax team who was enrolled for the Spring 2007 semester was granted an extra year of eligibility. That’s the model.

Thanks to the efforts of interim head coach Kevin Cassese, every member of the 2006 incoming class save one enrolled. Can’t find any reliable information as to what was done about the scholarship limit for the 2007-10 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Why would seniors only get the extra year if something needed to be done? Just because it was their last chance they should get another? What about the Junior at a small school that won their AQ who next year would be needing to win their senior year and fails? He had 3 chances if you take out this year and that senior would get 4 over his career?

Either everyone gets one more shot since it was taken from everyone or no one does. Should be no special treatment for the senior class, it happened to everyone.
    THIS
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

We need a backup 5 next year and JRob, Javin, and Jack would fit that mold perfectly so I’m onboard with this

"The NCAA’s Council Coordination Committee has agreed to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.

Committee will also discuss issues for winter sport student-athletes."

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...09859856924672

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The basketball season was literally over. That's why anything after last weekend is called "The Post Season".
    Sorry for folks in late Spring sports, but for the ones in the winter, such as b-ball, thanks for playing. (And in Duke's case, thanks for playing and being awesome and frustrating and awesome again.)

PS..enjoy your free pass, GT
    I had not even thought about that until I read your post. They dropped their protest of being banned from the postseason just a little while ago. Their postseason ban cost them nothing.

Coach K released a video supporting this. It is definitely not just a completely unrealistic out-there idea.