Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triangle sports radio shakeup

Looks like some changes in store for anyone who follows sports media in the Triangle. David Glenn will no longer air on 99.9 The Fan. Joe Ovies will be taking that radio slot with his own new show. Adam Gold gets a new partner in Joe Giglio for the afternoon/evening slot.

Just thought some of the Triangle folks here would be interested! I tried to find an older thread about Triangle media but couldn't dig it up.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...240954196.html

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Looks like some changes in store for anyone who follows sports media in the Triangle. David Glenn will no longer air on 99.9 The Fan. Joe Ovies will be taking that radio slot with his own new show. Adam Gold gets a new partner in Joe Giglio for the afternoon/evening slot.

Just thought some of the Triangle folks here would be interested! I tried to find an older thread about Triangle media but couldn't dig it up.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...240954196.html
    Interesting. David Glenn's show has really gone way downhill...not nearly as good as he used to be. That said, there's absolutely no way Ovies can carry a show. He's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Interesting. David Glenn's show has really gone way downhill...not nearly as good as he used to be. That said, there's absolutely no way Ovies can carry a show. He's terrible.
    I'll agree about Glenn. However, he DOES know his stuff and gets good guests. Ovies shouldn't even be on a sports radio station.

David Glenn is excellent when he is interviewing someone. Probably gives the one of the best sports interviews of anyone in Triangle media. He is basically intolerable when doing anything else.

I have to believe that it was Glenn's decision to leave because if you were going to fix 99.9's lineup you would first do something about Sport's Channel 8, which airs from 10 to noon, like replace it with 2 hours of Gregorian chants or something. It's puerile and the primary host has the most nauseating voice on radio. Truly--it sounds like he swallowed a gallon of phlegm. He should relegate himself to MCing frat parties, that's his peak value to the entertainment world.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I have to believe that it was Glenn's decision to leave because if you were going to fix 99.9's lineup you would first do something about Sport's Channel 8, which airs from 10 to noon, like replace it with 2 hours of Gregorian chants or something. It's puerile and the primary host has the most nauseating voice on radio. Truly--it sounds like he swallowed a gallon of phlegm. He should relegate himself to MCing frat parties, that's his peak value to the entertainment world.
    Agree to disagree, Sports Channel 8 is the best thing to happen to Triangle sports radio in decades. Funny/entertaining and with a heavy focus on the Big 4(ish...giving Wake the benefit of the doubt here ). Probably most NC focused of any local show. Not to mention the Weather Moose is pure gold (lowercase!).

Oh, and I got mixed up. Adam Gold is taking the noon slot with a solo show, and the two Joes (Ovies and Giglio) will be doing the 3-6 slot together, I had it the other way around in my OP.

I also can't imagine this was Glenn's decision. My guess is his show just wasn't getting the listeners/engagement anymore. I'm sure Glenn will land on his feet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Oh, and I got mixed up. Adam Gold is taking the noon slot with a solo show, and the two Joes (Ovies and Giglio) will be doing the 3-6 slot together, I had it the other way around in my OP.

I also can't imagine this was Glenn's decision. My guess is his show just wasn't getting the listeners/engagement anymore. I'm sure Glenn will land on his feet though.
    It was my opinion that he was a cheats “ Homer”

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    It was my opinion that he was a cheats “ Homer”
    Glenn would be a good sidekick on Cheats womens’ field hockey radio broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I'll agree about Glenn. However, he DOES know his stuff and gets good guests. Ovies shouldn't even be on a sports radio station.
    Full disclosure: I was a show prep ghost for a major major radio show, non sports...and i've done political talk as host...so I listen with an insider understanding of what happens backstage...

Yep Glenn DOES know his stuff. He knows so much more about the ACC than Gold or Ovies ever will....and he brings a perspective to it. For years he was really good. But now his show has morphed...for all the "energy" he cranks up into the opening, he's really mailing it in. About 70% of his air minutes are spent repeating what is coming up or what has already happened. it's about a half hour show now spread over 3 hours. He also rarely really responds to calls....that takes top of mind attention...he just bounces off calls to say what he wanted to say anyway.

Really disappointing...he was the only good show on, for years. Now there are none. Sports Channel 8 is charming in it's own way, but this notion that "sports radio" has to be 30% Entertainment Tonight / pop culture is just a trend I don't agree with. I guess that's my "get off my lawn" rant...

Full disclosure: I was a show prep ghost for a major major radio show, non sports...and i've done political talk as host...so I listen with an insider understanding of what happens backstage...

Yep Glenn DOES know his stuff. He knows so much more about the ACC than Gold or Ovies ever will...and he brings a perspective to it. For years he was really good. But now his show has morphed...for all the "energy" he cranks up into the opening, he's really mailing it in. About 70% of his air minutes are spent repeating what is coming up or what has already happened. it's about a half hour show now spread over 3 hours. He also rarely really responds to calls...that takes top of mind attention...he just bounces off calls to say what he wanted to say anyway.

Really disappointing...he was the only good show on, for years. Now there are none. Sports Channel 8 is charming in it's own way, but this notion that "sports radio" has to be 30% Entertainment Tonight / pop culture is just a trend I don't agree with. I guess that's my "get off my lawn" rant...
    Yeah, and I can't stand Glenn's sanctimonious rants. But I might rather have him than Gold for 3 hours. Yikes.

I actually like Sportschannel 8. As you said, it is a little pop culture-y, but they all seem like good guys and I find a lot of it funny. Ben Swain is particularly amusing (also a good Twitter follow) and Geisinger appeals to the nerd/analytics side of me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    About 70% of his air minutes are spent repeating what is coming up or what has already happened. it's about a half hour show now spread over 3 hours.
    THIS is what drives me crazy about sports radio (and talk radio in general). It's not just Glenn.

I want to yell at the radio..."Just get to your point and move on!!! To a new subject! Novel idea!"
    It's amazing how much ground a show could cover if they actually did that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    THIS is what drives me crazy about sports radio (and talk radio in general). It's not just Glenn.

I want to yell at the radio..."Just get to your point and move on!!! To a new subject! Novel idea!"
    It's amazing how much ground a show could cover if they actually did that.
    And I'm afraid that's the point...covering ground means more content...more content means more show prep...more show prep means more hours for the same amount of money. That's why I said Glenn is mailing it in.

And part of this is in response to what talk radio has become...it's not a high revenue product anymore...it's more a low cost product. Glenn's show is on a bunch of stations...all of which in effect split the cost of the show. As does his website in effect.

The mess on 99.9 The Fan would never work except it's part of a multi media conglomerate. Long gone are the days where a single radio station had it's own manager, own receptionist, own office, own sales team, own on air staff.

That said, I've gone from being a big fan of Glenn to being extremely disappointed in his show now...and it's not me who changed. Maybe losing his biggest market will wake him back up.

Really big downgrade for 99.9, The Heel. I can understand breaking up "Adam and Joe" in the afternoon. The show was terrible. So frustrating because it's on when I'm driving home. With Mike and Mike in the morning become "Golic and Wingo" and DG leaving 99.9, there's really no reason left to listen to that station at all. Adam Gold from 12-3 is a disaster best.

As for David Glenn, I'll have to disagree with quite a few folks on here. I still enjoyed his show. He did a great job. Yes, he can be repetitive when you listen to him all the time. He does a great job with interviews, handles sensitive conversations with care and has a great knowledge of the ACC. He also supports the Hurricanes very well (I mean it's hockey in NC...) The one thing I took issue with was his handling for the UNCheat issue, he was way too forgiving and dismissive (sorry but spending $20 million on lawyers and about that much on PR firms to escape on a technicality doesn't make one innocent, and no, everyone else was not doing it). There are parts of his show that have become triangle traditions: The Big Tailgate Tour, Best and Worst of the Weekend. I can't count how many times I've heard great interviews on his show.

Sorry HBCK, but your description of the decline of the DG show is over the top and claiming that he's mailing it in is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Really big downgrade for 99.9, The Heel. I can understand breaking up "Adam and Joe" in the afternoon. The show was terrible. So frustrating because it's on when I'm driving home. With Mike and Mike in the morning become "Golic and Wingo" and DG leaving 99.9, there's really no reason left to listen to that station at all. Adam Gold from 12-3 is a disaster best.

As for David Glenn, I'll have to disagree with quite a few folks on here. I still enjoyed his show. He did a great job. Yes, he can be repetitive when you listen to him all the time. He does a great job with interviews, handles sensitive conversations with care and has a great knowledge of the ACC. He also supports the Hurricanes very well (I mean it's hockey in NC...) The one thing I took issue with was his handling for the UNCheat issue, he was way too forgiving and dismissive (sorry but spending $20 million on lawyers and about that much on PR firms to escape on a technicality doesn't make one innocent, and no, everyone else was not doing it). There are parts of his show that have become triangle traditions: The Big Tailgate Tour, Best and Worst of the Weekend. I can't count how many times I've heard great interviews on his show.

Sorry HBCK, but your description of the decline of the DG show is over the top and claiming that he's mailing it in is just wrong.

Well we can all have our own opinions. I would remind you I said what I said as a one time big Dave Glenn fan...going back years....and as someone with an intimate knowledge of how radio shows get put together. Years ago I was probably one of his favorite callers...we had a GREAT CALL about Al "the mad Hungarian" Hrabosky...as I correctly guessed who Dave would say was "the most intimidating pitcher" ever in baseball.

I guess what I'm saying is I know him personally a little bit...met in radio studios, him finishing a show and me starting one...and been a caller...and a long time listener who absolutely appreciated that he alone among Triangle hosts understood the history of the ACC. I also am a big Caniac as he is. I know how much better he used to be, and how much better he still could be...and how much I wish he were...because Triangle sports talk now is a desert.

And this new NC News Network host they have is a true snore machine....

Well we can all have our own opinions. I would remind you I said what I said as a one time big Dave Glenn fan...going back years...and as someone with an intimate knowledge of how radio shows get put together. Years ago I was probably one of his favorite callers...we had a GREAT CALL about Al "the mad Hungarian" Hrabosky...as I correctly guessed who Dave would say was "the most intimidating pitcher" ever in baseball.

I guess what I'm saying is I know him personally a little bit...met in radio studios, him finishing a show and me starting one...and been a caller...and a long time listener who absolutely appreciated that he alone among Triangle hosts understood the history of the ACC. I also am a big Caniac as he is. I know how much better he used to be, and how much better he still could be...and how much I wish he were...because Triangle sports talk now is a desert.

And this new NC News Network host they have is a true snore machine...
    I've just been listening to Glenn for the past 5 years or so, and just recently, he's been alluding more and more to when he won't do the show anymore. I don't think his heart is in it anymore.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The last time I lived in the Triangle, I delivered pizza for a while in Chapel Hill (those folks were good tippers, I'll give 'em that) and my favorite show to listen to while driving around was "The Fabulous Sports Babe". She was so good at what she did, and was always entertaining.
    She was the last sports radio show that I really liked. I'll listen to 99.9 when I am in the Triangle, now, too...but it usually doesn't take long before I seek out music or NPR instead.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

As David Glenn was syndicated , I listened to him on the coast. We don't get Sports Channel 8 or the rest of the 99.9 the buzz line up. We get espn.

So David Glenn was good for what we call NC or local sports. ACC, Canes Hockey, etc. Where David Glenn liked to ramble , repeating him self in his monologues , it was better than listening to a National show.
    The last two days have been something from.. not sure,, but maybe NC Network ? a man who's last name is Johnson , and he's monotone to me. He really likes his ECU roots,, and I'm fine with that when there's something to report about from ECU sports ( their football team beating uncheats 3 straight times ) or their decent baseball team, or even Harold Varner III in golf.. but I don't need to hear he's a fan .. do that on an ECU call in show...

So, why did Glenn leave ?? is he on other stations in the state ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    As David Glenn was syndicated , I listened to him on the coast. We don't get Sports Channel 8 or the rest of the 99.9 the buzz line up. We get espn.

So David Glenn was good for what we call NC or local sports. ACC, Canes Hockey, etc. Where David Glenn liked to ramble , repeating him self in his monologues , it was better than listening to a National show.
    The last two days have been something from.. not sure,, but maybe NC Network ? a man who's last name is Johnson , and he's monotone to me. He really likes his ECU roots,, and I'm fine with that when there's something to report about from ECU sports ( their football team beating uncheats 3 straight times ) or their decent baseball team, or even Harold Varner III in golf.. but I don't need to hear he's a fan .. do that on an ECU call in show...

Glenn's show is syndicated on a handful of stations...so I would imagine that's still going on. And yeah, that Johnson guy, NC Network or whatever...old school, boring, not bright IMO. After this week with the ACCT - the schedule may change again on 99.9.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

It's my understanding that DG was let go by Curtis Media, his employer. He didn't work for 99.9, the local station here in Raleigh, he worked for Curtis Media and was broadcast throughout the state. I'll post more when I hear more (without invading DG's privacy).