Christopher Columbus was Polish - And I must Suck at Math

A Duke "academic" has published a book that supposedly persuasively argues that Christopher Columbus was Polish.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l?fbclid=IwAR1

"Manuel Rosa, an academic at Duke University ... says the voyager was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland."

My 15 seconds of "in depth" internet research reveals that: "Władysław III (31 October 1424 – 10 November 1444), also known as Władysław of Varna, was King of Poland from 1434... until his death at the Battle of Varna."

Columbus was born in 1451.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A Duke "academic" has published a book that supposedly persuasively argues that Christopher Columbus was Polish.

"Manuel Rosa, an academic at Duke University ... says the voyager was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland."

My 15 seconds of "in depth" internet research reveals that: "Władysław III (31 October 1424 – 10 November 1444), also known as Władysław of Varna, was King of Poland from 1434... until his death at the Battle of Varna."

Things just took longer before the internet was invented, I guess.

Apparently, he is also claiming that Vladislav III did NOT die in the Battle of Varna, but instead survived and fled to Madeira.

Frozen sperm?

All those Yerpeen royal families are interconnected, no way of telling who begat whom...the Windsors were Germans, the Russki Royals swam in the same gene pool, when a new monarch needed a bride or groom, they just looked in the Royal Catalog and ordered a prince or princess (just as Victoria did with Albert).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    All those Yerpeen royal families are interconnected, no way of telling who begat whom...the Windsors were Germans, the Russki Royals swam in the same gene pool, when a new monarch needed a bride or groom, they just looked in the Royal Catalog and ordered a prince or princess (just as Victoria did with Albert).
    Inbreeding ultimately killed off the Habsburg lines in both Spain and Austria. AND gave them all a really nasty big jaw.

So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Inbreeding ultimately killed off the Habsburg lines in both Spain and Austria. AND gave them all a really nasty big jaw.

So there's that.
    Inbreeding also gave Europe World War I.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    So I guess the big jaw was not that horrible in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

So there's that.
    Thanks for sending me down that wikipedia rabbit hole, OPK. Geez

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Thanks for sending me down that wikipedia rabbit hole, OPK. Geez
    Then you'll love this: "The Habsburg Jaw and Other Royal Inbreeding Deformities"

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The...-and-Disorders

Through generations of royals marrying each other and therefore closing the ranks of their gene pools, the Habsburg Jaw manifested itself just about everywhere in Medieval Europe. The House of Habsburg, which is named after the Habsburg Castle in Switzerland, is associated with the Habsburg Jaw because so many of its members had it.

Charles II, the last Spanish Habsburg, was feeble-minded and physically deformed as a direct result of his limited gene pool. His ancestor, Joanna of Castile, actually appears in his family tree no less than fourteen times because of first and second cousins intermarrying. It is said that Charles II's genetic makeup was more muddled than it would have been if his parents had been brother and sister.

Charles II's mandibular prognathism was so pronounced that it was said that he could not chew his food and that the size of his tongue caused him to drool significantly. He also had mental issues and was considered mildly retarded. He didn't learn to talk until he was four and couldn't walk until the age of eight. As an adult, his speech was so poor that he was, for the most part, unable to be understood.
    Because, DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ArchDukeUniversityFerdinand!