Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Coach K gave us hope back tonight and should be commended for continuing to tinker.

Let's continue to see where zone and JRob can lead us. Maybe the zone gets figured out but we weren't going to accomplish anything doing what we had been doing, anyway.

Playing a stretch-5 in JRob makes the defensive quartet of Tre-JGold-Cassius-Wendell more viable offensively since those four range from poor to average in shooting ability.

We don't really have the height that you usually associate with zone defense (at least using the players we used tonight), but their quickness and activity can hopefully make up for it.
    JRob is certainly not lost out there and makes good decisions. He has practiced against a lot of great players. I am sure most every players he sees out there are not in Bagley's, Carters', Zion's or even Bolden's league. Hey it is working- he is responding- I say let's keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    K ripping fans talking about players...said if they wanted to talk junk about his coaching, that was fine..."they can come into cameron and look in the rafters"

he was angry...

He's right about ripping the players. What he said about the rafters is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    UNC is a running team that uses its bench. Can we use a short rotation against that approach effectively? It certainly worked tonight so shouldn't be abandoned but maybe a sigghtlye xpanded lineup to counter the UNC approach?
    Actually, UNC plays a 7-man rotation. Not that deep.

And if we're going to play a zone, we're probably going to play fewer players than usual since the guys don't expend as much energy in a zone. I would expect Jack and AOC to be out of the rotation. Maybe another player or two also.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I like mixing in the zone but also think it will be very matchup-dependent. NCSU and UNC-CHeat are good candidates because they shoot poorly - State had several wide open threes in the second half that they missed. Of course they were getting those when we were playing man too, so maybe there’s no difference. Against a team like Notre Dame or VT we’d be playing M2M full time.
    UNC historically has been a great team against the zone and this season put up 92 points in the Carrier Dome. It's true that they're not usually loaded with shooters, but their passing and offensive rebounding against the zone are amazing.

Now, with that said, Duke should zone them, anyway.

I loved the aggressiveness on offense in the second half. That attacking style from every position (even JG) has been missing the last few weeks. We drove and dished and when we fed Carey he attacked everyone they threw at him and made some nice passes. I was nervous after another sluggish, passive first half. I think you guys were right that the zone forcing some long misses and turnovers leading to run outs and easy (for me to say) baskets really lit the fuse. I guess that is another key for a young team...needing to siphon that emotion from somewhere rather than having to self-ignite it.

I fully believe the zone was key and needed to stop their guard penetration off the high screens, but there were a lot of uncontested shots that State just missed. Not sure that is a long term strategy, but could be effective in spurts. Carolina might not be a great 3 point shooting team, but that elbow shot will kill us. They wont miss as many as State did.

Still confused by the substitutions. Joey starts and then only plays a handful of minutes. Hurt had some solid moments in the first half but I'm not even sure he stood up in the second half. Seems like it would be hard for these kids to get into a rhythm in one game and them across multiple games with such inconsistent rotations. I know K is playing matchups and feeling out who has the energy/hot hand in a given game, but I would be frustrated as a player.
    Last edited by RollDevils; 03-02-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    K ripping fans talking about players...said if they wanted to talk junk about his coaching, that was fine..."they can come into cameron and look in the rafters"

he was angry...
    They don't have to go to Cameron. Everyone can watch the Capitol One credit card commercial throughout the NCAA Tourney.

The spark for our season is JRob and the 2-3 zone. Reminiscent of two years ago when Marvin was a defensive liability and we were getting torched on the dribble penetration. Good way to hide Vernon’s deficiencies on the ball screen.

Now the real test. Last few times we had decisive wins we started to think our poop doesn’t stink and lost our poise. Let’s play out the season with fury and a real chip on our shoulder starting Saturday! All I ask is that we play with great intensity and mental fortitude for the rest of the season. Go Duke!

Playing strong with the basketball

Is key for everyone, but Cassius and Wendell in particular. We need those guys on offense and they are so mich more effective when they play strong. Wendell is stronger and longer than pretty much everyone who guards him...he can score in the paint when he remembers that. When he lowers himself and hesitates, he gives the defense a chance. Cassius’ best trait is his explosiveness...when he combines that with playing strong with the ball...he is hard to guard.

And my Tv can vouch for this...but I was calling for the zone halfway thru the first half.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    They don't have to go to Cameron. Everyone can watch the Capitol One credit card commercial throughout the NCAA Tourney.
    Good one. As fans we get emotional and like to vent. Sometimes we have bad judgement.Ripping the fans to me is not a wise move.

Great win after being outplayed in the first half (and still somehow leading at halftime).

Keep it going.

#UndefeatedinMarch

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Good one. As fans we get emotional and like to vent. Sometimes we have bad judgement. Ripping the fans to me is not a wise move.
    K is getting too old to care about optics. Good optics didn't help us one bit the last 30 years.

My only game in Cameron this year, and it was a good one! Cameron was loud! And the lady behind me only poked me once to tell me to sit down.

Markell Johnson was killing us the first 15 minutes. The switch to zone allowed us to get back into it, despite how poorly we had been shooting. We closed the half well, then finally came alive offensively in the second half.

Great game! Fun win! Loved the zone!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    K is getting too old to care about optics. Good optics didn't help us one bit the last 30 years.
    Either way I like that Coach K is fired up -- keep it going!

Offensive execution won this game. Starting after a Markell Johnson turnover with 15:35 to play, Duke had 26 possessions the rest of the game (including one possession dribbling the ball out at the end). We had 44 points on those 26 possessions (1.69 points per possessions), scoring on 23 of the 26, including a 10+ minute stretch in which we did not have an empty possession, scoring on 17 straight trips, which is insane. In the last 15:35, we shot 14-21 from the field and rebounded 6 of our 7 misses (NC State also picked up a DR off of a missed FT), plus we added 15-19 from the line. Here’s how it shook out:

Jones 2 FT after 2 ORs
    Jones 3
    Moore layup
    Cassius layup after 2 ORs
    Goldwire layup
    Moore 2
    Cassius dunk
    Cassius 2 FT
    Cassius dunk
    Carey 1-2 FT
    Carey 1-2 FT
    Cassius 2 &1
    Cassius 1-2 FT
    Goldwire 2
    Carey 2
    Carey dunk
    Moore 2 FT
    Moore TO
    Cassius 2
    Carey 2 FT after an OR
    Jones 2
    Jones 2 FT
    Jones miss
    Jones 1-2 FT
    J-Rob dunk after OR
    Dribble out
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Offensive execution won this game. Starting after a Markell Johnson turnover with 15:35 to play, Duke had 26 possessions the rest of the game (including one possession dribbling the ball out at the end). We had 44 points on those 26 possessions (1.69 points per possessions), scoring on 23 of the 26, including a 10+ minute stretch in which we did not have an empty possession, scoring on 17 straight trips, which is insane. In the last 15:35, we shot 14-21 from the field and rebounded 6 of our 7 misses (NC State also picked up a DR off of a missed FT), plus we added 15-19 from the line. Here’s how it shook out:

Jones 2 FT after 2 ORs
    Jones 3
    Moore layup
    Cassius layup after 2 ORs
    Goldwire layup
    Moore 2
    Cassius dunk
    Cassius 2 FT
    Cassius dunk
    Carey 1-2 FT
    Carey 1-2 FT
    Cassius 2 &1
    Cassius 1-2 FT
    Goldwire 2
    Carey 2
    Carey dunk
    Moore 2 FT
    Moore TO
    Cassius 2
    Carey 2 FT after an OR
    Jones 2
    Jones 2 FT
    Jones miss
    Jones 1-2 FT
    J-Rob dunk after OR
    Dribble out
    Great work, but I wouldn't undersell the defensive stretch that held NCSU to 8 points over 11 possessions from 16:30-9:30 in the second half, a cool 64 adjD.
    1200. DDMF.

It was no wonder the guys did better the second half. They had to play the entire first half of offense with Keatts out on the floor practically in their shorts and yelling in their ears!! The ref asked him once to get back of the line but never inforced it. Shoulda had a couple to big fat T's called on him, bless his unsportsmanlike heart.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Great work, but I wouldn't undersell the defensive stretch that held NCSU to 8 points over 11 possessions from 16:30-9:30 in the second half, a cool 64 adjD.
    From 15:35 to 7:38, there were 14 possessions for each side. We scored 27 points, they scored 10. That’s pretty much your ballgame.

Also, Cassius alley-oop #2 (the one-handed slam) was the SCTop10 #1 play.

Cassius Stanley’s dunk was #1 on Sportscenter Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    From 15:35 to 7:38, there were 14 possessions for each side. We scored 27 points, they scored 10. That’s pretty much your ballgame.
    Obviously, we'd like to bottle that level of play and use it often.

How did we do it and what sticks out?
    Overall good energy, strong rebounding, good defense, and really pushing the pace to get transition buckets and draw fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    It was no wonder the guys did better the second half. They had to play the entire first half of offense with Keatts out on the floor practically in their shorts and yelling in their ears!! The ref asked him once to get back of the line but never inforced it. Shoulda had a couple to big fat T's called on him, bless his unsportsmanlike heart.
    Love, Ima
    I thought the same thing, Ima. Reminded me of Buzz, the way he was out on the floor.