Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Maybe it's time for K to bust out the Jimmy V triangle and two they have been secretly working on all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Agree 100%. State was killing us in M2M off the switch on the high ball screen, and for whatever reason we kept defending (and failing at) it exactly the same way over and over. Have Carey hedge on the screen, have Tre go under for once, do SOMETHING different, because putting Carey on Johnson isn't working. Switching to the zone took this set away, and State was not disciplined enough to continually get (and make) shots against the zone. Our first possession in zone they drained a 3, but kudos to K for sticking with it a bit longer and playing the percentages. For State, it was like Pedro Cerrano suddenly trying to hit a curve ball. We started to get runouts off of missed shots and turnovers, which led to easy transition buckets, and we started attacking the rim and moving without the ball (FINALLY) on offense). It was a classic case of defense creating offense.

Did anyone else think our 2/3 look was a bit wonky in that we pushed pretty high off the baseline and were giving up the alley oop and the corner 3s pretty regularly? It effectively took away the top of the key from State, and we were willing to live with them shooting FT line jumpers. Also unusual is how well we rebounded out of the zone.

My biggest worry is that UNC just torched Syracuse's zone, and Anthony has the ability to run the pick and roll effectively. I'm not ready to go to the zone full time (yet), but if it does work to break up the high ball screen we struggle with so much, I'm all for it being in our arsenal.
    I agree with this. The analytics will show that the zone was very effective, but the eye test showed huge gaps in the zone (FT line and baseline as you mentioned) that State didn't take advantage of. I'm not ready to say we are a good zone team yet or that it should be our base defense despite the effectiveness against State.

Also, while I share your concern that Cole Anthony is a good PNR player, UNC's historical insistence on playing 2 bigs does clog the drive/roll lanes more than someone like State or Clemson that played us 5 out, which I hope limits UNC's effectiveness in trying to exploit or PNR defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Maybe it's time for K to bust out the Jimmy V triangle and two they have been secretly working on all season.
    LOL. It worked pretty well for Rick Majerus at Utah that time they went to the Final Four, too, but Coach K has shown ZERO propensity toward ever using anything that anybody would ever describe as a "junk defense."

Personally, for what it's worth (and it's not much), I believe that defensive flexibility is a plus, not a minus; meaning that even "junk defenses" are called for and work well in certain situations. Aggressive man-to-man, sagging man-to-man, pack line, 2-3 zone, 1-3-1 zone, zone press, man press, triangle and two-----they all have their time and their place. The goal of the game is to score more points than the opponent; in other words, to WIN the game. Any approach that results in that outcome is legit to me, even if somebody else calls it "junk."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    LOL. It worked pretty well for Rick Majerus at Utah that time they went to the Final Four, too, but Coach K has shown ZERO propensity toward ever using anything that anybody would ever describe as a "junk defense."

Personally, for what it's worth (and it's not much), I believe that defensive flexibility is a plus, not a minus; meaning that even "junk defenses" are called for and work well in certain situations. Aggressive man-to-man, sagging man-to-man, pack line, 2-3 zone, 1-3-1 zone, zone press, man press, triangle and two-----they all have their time and their place. The goal of the game is to score more points than the opponent; in other words, to WIN the game. Any approach that results in that outcome is legit to me, even if somebody else calls it "junk."
    Giving up 113 points to Wake, even if it happened in 2OT, could also be referred to as "junk" defense.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Giving up 113 points to Wake, even if it happened in 2OT, could also be referred to as "junk" defense.

28 points in 6 minutes. #NeverForget
    April 1

How to win out!

And by win out I mean through the National Championship. Let Carey do his thinh. except don'get suckered up near the top of the circle. Playmore like a bigman does in a zone. Two guards handle the ball, and feed either drivers from the side o r 3pt shooters from the side. This scheme might be great, at least for a change of pace.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Goldwire was better than solid; he was good. He has improved so much in his ability to finish drives. Earlier in his career he had multiple embarrassingly horrendous layup attempts. His stat line from last night: 38 minutes, 11 points, 5 assists and 6 rebounds on 5 of 7 shooting with only 2 turnovers.
    And yet some feel the "5th starter" is still up in the air. I just don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

like Junk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    And yet some feel the "5th starter" is still up in the air. I just don't understand it.
    I'm less concerned in who starts as I do who plays effective defense and contributes on offense as well. And I would like to see that at the beginning of the game, not when we get down 10 or more points. Letting the opposing team get confidence right from the opening tip has been a biggggggg problem for most of the year. Now is the time to change that against the CHEATS.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    like Junk it.
    The Junkin defense was great for Duke Football back in the day.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Junkin defense was great for Duke Football back in the day.
    ...true...but considered to this day by some the biggest bust in Cleveland Brown draft history (and that's saying some). Never understood why he wasn't a successful pro. I guess Marty Schottenhemier wonders the same thing.

Now, back to hoops...