Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC Tourney

ACC Tourney

Its already set as to who gets what bye. VSurprising as usually this is not set so early. None of the bottom 6 can catch the next 5.. none of 5 can catch top teams either.
    Top teams w double bye set
    Louisville 15-4
    Florida State 14-4
    Duke 13-5
    Virginia 13-5

One day bye and play on Wed are set too:
    NC State 9-9
    Notre Dame 9-9
    Syracuse 9-9
    Clemson 9-9
    Georgia Tech 9-9

The bottom 6 (first day play on Tue) are set as (( order is not set but these are the teams):
    Boston College 7-11
    Virginia Tech 6-12
    Miami 6-12
    Wake Forest 6-12
    Pittsburgh 6-13
    North Carolina 5-13

I was going to try to figure this out, but it appears that you already have...with two wins, BC still can't catch any of the five at 9-9 due to tiebreakers?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    I was going to try to figure this out, but it appears that you already have...with two wins, BC still can't catch any of the five at 9-9 due to tiebreakers?
    Ah, you got me... didn't see that. That may be the exception

I think he saw BC playing at FSU this coming weekend. That’s better than some ole tiebreaker 😀 - BC will not go 9-9.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Ah, you got me... didn't see that. That may be the exception
    BC would have the tiebreaker over State and Notre Dame at 9-11.

http://bball.notnothing.net/acc.php?sport=mbb

This is a very useful toy in a 15 team league, particularly this week.

Has a final decision been made about whether GT gets to participate in the postseason?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

With Louisville getting to 15-4, Duke is eliminated in contention for the 1-seed. Duke loses all possible tiebreakers with 15-5 teams.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    With Louisville getting to 15-4, Duke is eliminated in contention for the 1-seed. Duke loses all possible tiebreakers with 15-5 teams.
    Is that technically true? We certainly have a tie-breaker over FSU. Is there not a scenario in which that is relevant?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is that technically true? We certainly have a tie-breaker over FSU. Is there not a scenario in which that is relevant?
    Yeah, if all three are 15-5:

Louisville 1-0 against Duke
    FL State 2-0 against Louisville
    Duke 1-0 against FL State

So what happens?

FL State 2-1
    Duke 1-1
    L'ville 1-2
    Last edited by Reddevil; 03-02-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Yeah, if all three are 15-5:

Louisville 1-0 against Duke
    FL State 2-0 against Louisville
    Duke 2-0 against FL State

So what happens?
    Duke will only be 1-0 vs. FSU, and 0-1 vs. Louisville, for 1-1 overall. So FSU wins by virtue of its 2-1 combined record against Duke/Louisville, with Duke second and Louisville third.

And, of course, this scenario assumes a UVa loss to Miami and a UVa victory over Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Has a final decision been made about whether GT gets to participate in the postseason?
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Duke will only be 1-0 vs. FSU, and 0-1 vs. Louisville, for 1-1 overall. So FSU wins by virtue of its 2-1 combined record against Duke/Louisville, with Duke second and Louisville third.

And, of course, this scenario assumes a UVa loss to Miami and a UVa victory over Louisville.
    No. In the scenario you lay out, Duke gets the 3 seed. FSU gets the 1 seed since they have the superior record among the three. After that it's between Duke and Louisville for the 2 seed. Louisville gets the 2 seed because of the head to head record.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    No. In the scenario you lay out, Duke gets the 3 seed. FSU gets the 1 seed since they have the superior record among the three. After that it's between Duke and Louisville for the 2 seed. Louisville gets the 2 seed because of the head to head record.
    Ahh. Gotcha.

I don't think that's right. I think they do head-to-head among all 3 and rank them. FSU 2-1, then Duke 1-1, then Louisville 1-2. They don't do the tiebreakers separately for each slot. They only go to separate tiebreakers if the head-to-head doesn't break the tie.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    They first look at the record against the group tied, and then once a team gets the top spot, they go to another tiebreaker for the second spot. If there’s three (out of four originally), it’s the same three-way record. If it’s two (out of three originally) then it’s head-to-head for just those two.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I don't think that's right. I think they do head-to-head among all 3 and rank them. FSU 2-1, then Duke 1-1, then Louisville 1-2. They don't do the tiebreakers separately for each slot. They only go to separate tiebreakers if the head-to-head doesn't break the tie.
    See the following rules.
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/15/MBB_1215171609.aspx

Note the language: "If two teams remain tied, procedures (a) and (b) will be followed", that is, once you determine the top team, compare just the remaining two teams.

See the following rules.
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/15/MBB_1215171609.aspx

Note the language: "If two teams remain tied, procedures (a) and (b) will be followed", that is, once you determine the top team, compare just the remaining two teams.
    that only applies if two teams remain tired in a three way tiebreaker AFTER earlier tiebreak procedures are applied... hence "remain tied"

this differs from, say, nfl tiebreak procedures.

Is Georgia Tech playing in the ACCT? I haven't seen a certain answer in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Is Georgia Tech playing in the ACCT? I haven't seen a certain answer in either direction.
    AFAIK the NCAA in its infinite wisdom has yet to rule on GT's appeal. I do not know whether, absent that, they are in or out though given that "the original ruling on the field" was to suspend. (i.e. does the appeal act as a supersedeas of the ban?)