Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    That missed dunk in the 1st by Javin was huge.

If Carey had gone up quickly he would've bad a fairly easy basket. Instead, he brought the ball down, waited for the defenders to arrive, made a shot fake, and then went up and got blocked. He was behind the defense!

A lot of disappointing sequences that will be forgotten, but played a role in the loss. When Stanley was shooting free throws, made one then missed one, and we fouled Diakite on the block out. Well, that's a three-point swing. We lost the game by two points. Do the math.

Tre: 17
    Vern: 17
    Everyone else combined: 16

Also, Huff with 10 (TEN!) blocks. That’s why Vern tried to pump fake, since he was waiting for the block where he knew there’d be no call.

We win when we have a 3rd guy step up. Didn’t happen today. I hope we can get our revenge against the two teams next week and then some more in the ACC tourney.

Need to get much more from Hurt, Stanley and Moore. That is the problem right now- too inconsistent. Basketball teams can turn on a dime. If those guys don’t step up- the post season will be short. Experience matters unless you have a Zion or a Tatum. This team does not and doing what they can. Very disappointing to end this way. You want to be trending upward. But this is the time of year when games are close and you have to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    That missed dunk in the 1st by Javin was huge.
    That was a five-point swing.

Quote Originally Posted by RollDevils View Post
    No passion and no energy.
    Are you talking about the players ... or coaches.

As frustrating as that is. Its not like losing by 22 to State. We fought hard. UVA D is great. Just amazing. Two frustrating plays to me were the shot clock violations. One time Goldwire had ball and just never shot. Then we had 4 second out of bounds play and O’Connell checks in so he HHAAASS to know the situation. surely the coaches told him we have 4 seconds !!! inbounds to him and he just dribbles…. passes to someone like Delaurier who has to jack a three. HORRIBLE execution and coaching on those two plays. HORRIBKE. high school coaches do better. Um, “shoot the ball before the clock expires”. Hell. I know that

Also, the switch where they got Clark on VCarey killed us over and over. K Clarke goes right by Carey and a ‘bad’ offensive team became super efficient. The last few shots they got layups and dunks. Who says UVA has no offense. They are a good team that could do well in March

When their baskets are easy, and yours are degree of difficulty hard, you lose. So many Duke shot attempts had no chance of draining through the net.

Before NC State debaucle thought this team had a chance to win it all. Now we look lost on how to get a score.Carey and Jones are not enough to get it done. Our role players have definitely regressed.

The kids played pretty good defense.
    They need to stop with hero ball, Tre in particular. We need to share the ball more, move, and get open shots.
    K needs to trust the bench a bit more.
    Looking forward to freshmen as sophs, sophs as juniors.
    See you all Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by RollDevils View Post
    No passion and no energy. Consistent story for the last few weeks. Seems like a team that just wants the season to be over. I really dont understand the substitution pattern either.
    Perhaps it is just a young team on the road but they seem to lack energy outside of Cameron. Maybe they can turn it on in the tournament at a neutral site but that is what worries me about a first weekend exit. Dropping down the seed lines, will have to bring your own energy and just lost to an 8 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    ..yes...

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Both, as far as I’m concerned. There were numerous times over the last couple of weeks where I thought Coach K would take a purposeful T just to try and fire the team up. Haven’t seen anything close to that this season.

We fought. For all of our limitations, we fought. But this team does not play with poise. The last ten minutes were full of mental breakdowns and we played right into their hands. Hoping for an 11 game winning streak, but I can’t see much postseason success for us. The lessons we needed to learn we already should have. One of the more painful stretches of play I can remember in my nearly 40 years of watching Duke basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Need to get much more from Hurt, Stanley and Moore. That is the problem right now- too inconsistent. Basketball teams can turn on a dime. If those guys don’t step up- the post season will be short. Experience matters unless you have a Zion or a Tatum. This team does not and doing what they can. Very disappointing to end this way. You want to be trending upward. But this is the time of year when games are close and you have to execute.
    This team absolutely needs better outside shooting. Between Hurt, O'Connell and Baker it'd seem that should happen. Maybe they can't get in a consistent rhythm because their PT is all over the place. Start, don't start, get 5 min, get 30 min, etc.

We worried early in the season about the lack of two-way players. We still don't really have any aside from Tre, and I'll give Vernon the nod as well. K used the depth earlier in the year to keep the opposition guessing, often going offense/defense down the stretch of tight games with 2 subs at a time. We went deep in the first half but then he rode that Tre/Goldwire/Vernon/Cassius/Moore line-up for most of the last 10 minutes and I think they got gassed. Virginia is not really good, but, for the past few weeks, neither are we.

Can we have a separate thread for those who want to praise Tony Bennett and UVA...please...before it even starts.

So disappointing. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Duke team make so many knuckleheaded plays. Someone needs to teach Vern that there's a time to be a ballerina and a time to be a beast. That last shot had to be a beast shot.

It's pretty much been all downhill since Bilas said we had a good chance to win it all. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Want to see what playing times look like but I just can't help but think they struggle to get into a rhythm and honestly, one of those three have to be on the floor at all times for their offense. I just don't understand how you go against the best defensive team in the country and seem to prioritize defensive lineups.

I feel like Bart Simpson at the blackboard writing, “I will not Terp.”

Props to the Hoos.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."