Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    How about today? This is why I started the thread back in February...I did fine, but my wife was very sick for more than a day, very unpleasant (and somewhat unexpected).
    Back to normal today, got lots of sleep. Thanks for asking!

Overall, none of it was unmanageable. But get the shots when you can lay out the next day or two if needed.

Got 1st one on Thursday since no plans for New Years. Sore arm, maybe a little tired (I used it as an excuse to take a nap or two).

But I'm more curious about rsvman's post today on COVID, and I know he checks in here. He said it's usually better to space out the shots, but I just read this entire thread and this hasn't been discussed.

rsvman, the Shingrix protocol is to get the 2nd shot in 2 to 6 months. I was planning on getting it right at 2 months, but should I wait longer?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Got 1st one on Thursday since no plans for New Years. Sore arm, maybe a little tired (I used it as an excuse to take a nap or two).

But I'm more curious about rsvman's post today on COVID, and I know he checks in here. He said it's usually better to space out the shots, but I just read this entire thread and this hasn't been discussed.

rsvman, the Shingrix protocol is to get the 2nd shot in 2 to 6 months. I was planning on getting it right at 2 months, but should I wait longer?
    Good question. I got the first pneumococcal vaccine in November. Was told a month wait for the COVID vaccine was OK.
    ~rthomas

The epidemiologists at my hospital say to allow two weeks before and after the COVID shot to get any other vaccine. I had my physical on 12/17 and my doctor brought up getting Shingrix. I said I am very interested in getting it, but I am getting my first COVID on 12/21, so I need to wait until two weeks after the second shot. She (my doctor) had no clue that there should be a waiting period. So, my second shot is 1/11, and I will be waiting at least two weeks after that before I subject myself to Shingrix. Not really looking forward to it, but I have know too many people who had shingles to know that it is much, much worse than the vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

2-6 months, as you stated...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Finally got my Shingrix shot #1 yesterday afternoon. My arm was sore that evening, and then both late yesterday and today I've had a racing heart rate, my face is flush, and I am very, very tired. However, I receive a tapered dose of methylprednisolone at the same time to help take care of a nerve problem in my back, so I can't tell if my reaction is to the steroid, the Shingrix, or a combination of the two. In any case, I set my appointment to go back after the first of the year for shot #2. The doc said it's 50/50 as to whether or not it's worse the second time, so I'll plan accordingly.
    With apologies for the self-quote, I got dose #2 yesterday. The answer is, "A bit of both." I didn't get the racing heart or the flush face, but my arm is even more sore than the first time, and I am utterly exhausted. Glad the new year didn't bring me any major surprises at work, because I'm probably knocking off in just a little while.

If the answer to the question is known, they are not sharing it.

I can tell you this, though. In the event that you get the second vaccine before two months has passed, the company recommends repeating the entire vaccine series. But if you miss the second dose until after six months, they say only one shot is necessary.

That suggests to me that, generally speaking, this vaccine follows the pattern of other vaccines: too short an interval can be a problem, but too long an interval usually is not.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I can tell you this, though. In the event that you get the second vaccine before two months has passed, the company recommends repeating the entire vaccine series. But if you miss the second dose until after six months, they say only one shot is necessary.

That suggests to me that, generally speaking, this vaccine follows the pattern of other vaccines: too short an interval can be a problem, but too long an interval usually is not.
    Thanks rsvman, I knew you couldn't stay away from a medical thread for long.

I procrastinated, then COVID hit, and figure my time in the COVID vax line will mostly come in April/May. So I thought it best to get the 2nd poke well before then.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

This is really helpful! I got my first shingrix shot in mid-November and was planning to get second shot in late January or early February. But I am now scheduled to get CoVid vaccine 1/13, which would put second dose of CoVid vax in early Feb. So, given this info, it seems it’s best to push the second shingrix into March. I did a lot of searching on the web, and even read my shingrix paperwork very carefully, and couldn’t really find any good advice.

Thanks RSVman!

And btw, Georgia, unlike many states, just pushed ALL those 65+ into group 1a. So they are vaccinating us starting on 1/11. This is very good news for those of us who are old!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    And btw, Georgia, unlike many states, just pushed ALL those 65+ into group 1a. So they are vaccinating us starting on 1/11. This is very good news for those of us who are old!
    I can relate to good "group" news, but it's pretty moot here until Warped Speed can get us some vaccine...they simply aren't shipping what they say they'll ship, makes planning futile.

I finally got my first Shingrix shot yesterday afternoon, after allowing a comfortable interval of three months to elapse since my second COVID vaccine jab. Fortunately, I've experienced no adverse effects other than a mild soreness at the injection site on the upper arm, which became noticeable a few hours after the shot but subsided by bedtime. I was able to sleep normally without any medication and to resume my typical daily activities (including the morning walk around Lake Eola). This was similar to my experience with the first COVID vaccine shot. Here's hoping that the second jab in a few months will be equally uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I finally got my first Shingrix shot yesterday afternoon, after allowing a comfortable interval of three months to elapse since my second COVID vaccine jab. Fortunately, I've experienced no adverse effects other than a mild soreness at the injection site on the upper arm, which became noticeable a few hours after the shot but subsided by bedtime. I was able to sleep normally without any medication and to resume my typical daily activities (including the morning walk around Lake Eola). This was similar to my experience with the first COVID vaccine shot. Here's hoping that the second jab in a few months will be equally uneventful.
    Yeah, I need to get mine. Not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yeah, I need to get mine. Not looking forward to it.
    Based on reports from others, I was apprehensive about the potential for unpleasant side effects that might endure for up to two days; but it turned out that the most painful part of the experience was paying $190 for the vaccine. I hope that you likewise suffer no discomfort after the shot.

Based on reports from others, I was apprehensive about the potential for unpleasant side effects that might endure for up to two days; but it turned out that the most painful part of the experience was paying $190 for the vaccine. I hope that you likewise suffer no discomfort after the shot.
    Thankfully, mine is covered by insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Thankfully, mine is covered by insurance.
    Mine would have been, too, but I haven't yet satisfied my deductible for this year.

1st dose today…sore arm is about it so far.

Following up on my earlier post, I got the second Shingrix shot on Friday afternoon, and am happy to report that the reaction was similar -- a little soreness at the injection site on my arm that started about 3-4 hours after the shot, but was not so severe as to make me uncomfortable or interfere with my sleep. This time, the upper arm soreness persisted into the following day, and I felt some barely perceptible achiness in my back and legs that lasted until late afternoon on Saturday; but after that all was normal again. Now we're hoping to get our third/booster shot of the Moderna vaccine for COVID in late September or early October, at about the same time we receive our annual flu shots.

Following up on my earlier post, I got the second Shingrix shot on Friday afternoon, and am happy to report that the reaction was similar -- a little soreness at the injection site on my arm that started about 3-4 hours after the shot, but was not so severe as to make me uncomfortable or interfere with my sleep. This time, the upper arm soreness persisted into the following day, and I felt some barely perceptible achiness in my back and legs that lasted until late afternoon on Saturday; but after that all was normal again. Now we're hoping to get our third/booster shot of the Moderna vaccine for COVID in late September or early October, at about the same time we receive our annual flu shots.
    Hope your body can handle all of those microchips
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I saw my father-in-law suffer a bout with Shingles. I am not a shingles denier. I'll be getting my shot...sometime in the future.