Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    This may have been answered before but -- if I got my first dose today, would that lower or otherwise occupy my immune system such that I may be more susceptible to catching some unnamed airborne virus making the rounds these days?

Okay, but the bullet and got the first shot this afternoon. I figure it’s too damn hot to do much this weekend other than chill.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Okay, but the bullet and got the first shot this afternoon. I figure it’s too damn hot to do much this weekend other than chill.
    Freudian slip? Did you take the first shot in the but(t)?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Freudian slip? Did you take the first shot in the but(t)?
    LOL, damn autoerect.

LOL, damn autoerect.
    Well played, sir.

This may have been answered before but -- if I got my first dose today, would that lower or otherwise occupy my immune system such that I may be more susceptible to catching some unnamed airborne virus making the rounds these days?
    I don't think anybody knows the answer to that question. Theoretically, I suppose it is possible, although your immune system is designed to be able to respond to multiple antigens simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't think anybody knows the answer to that question. Theoretically, I suppose it is possible, although your immune system is designed to be able to respond to multiple antigens simultaneously.
    Thanks for the reply! I did some poking around and it did not sound like a big risk.

Didn’t want all my white blood cells working on the wrong thing.

Thanks for the reply! I did some poking around and it did not sound like a big risk.

Didn’t want all my white blood cells working on the wrong thing.
    so how do you feel today?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    so how do you feel today?
    Fine so far. Arm is a little sore at the injection point but nothing unmanageable or really painful. Just enough to let you know it’s there if you move a certain way.

{knock on wood}

And thanks for asking!

Fine so far. Arm is a little sore at the injection point but nothing unmanageable or really painful. Just enough to let you know it’s there if you move a certain way.

{knock on wood}

And thanks for asking!
    I strongly suspect you're in the clear...the bad reactions I've seen showed up early the next day...I believe beer and grilled meats will aid your recovery...

I strongly suspect you're in the clear...the bad reactions I've seen showed up early the next day...I believe beer and grilled meats will aid your recovery...
    Works for me!

{knock on wood}

And thanks for asking!
    Glad to hear that! I had my second shot 2 weeks ago. My first shot was Feb. 1st, so I was cutting it close getting my 2nd shot within the 6 month window. But I definitely didn’t want to start over!

I had very mild flu-like symptoms for a couple of days both times, probably a little less severe the 2nd time. But I agree with the sore arm - worst I’ve ever had after a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Glad to hear that! I had my second shot 2 weeks ago. My first shot was Feb. 1st, so I was cutting it close getting my 2nd shot within the 6 month window. But I definitely didn’t want to start over!

I had very mild flu-like symptoms for a couple of days both times, probably a little less severe the 2nd time. But I agree with the sore arm - worst I’ve ever had after a shot.
    Did those come on rather quickly? I’m about 19 hours out from the shot so hoping the little arm knot is the only side effect.

It’s not bad — but wouldn’t want to lift and paddle a kayak today. 12-ounce diminishing curls in the future for exercise, courtesy of a local brewery.

Did those come on rather quickly? I’m about 19 hours out from the shot so hoping the little arm knot is the only side effect.

It’s not bad — but wouldn’t want to lift and paddle a kayak today. 12-ounce diminishing curls in the future for exercise, courtesy of a local brewery.
    Yes. In my case, side effects appeared within 12 - 18 hours. So I suspect you are in the clear.
    Last edited by SavDukeGrad; 08-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    .. In case you don't know, shingles is one of the most common causes of suicide in the elderly. People who get shingles in the distribution of the trigeminal nerve (face and neck) often get what's called "post-herpetic neuralgia." This pain lingers long after the active replication of the virus is over, and it is very difficult to treat with pain medications. It alters the quality of life to such an extent that many people believe that they can no longer live with it, so they take their own lives.
    Wow, first time I ever heard this factoid. I believe it - my grandmother was one of the toughest people I ever met but shingles put her in a depression for two or three years. I got a mild case a couple years ago and ended up in moderate pain for less than a month. I got the regular vaccine within a couple days of onset so that may have helped attenuate it.

I need to get Shingrix.

{knock on wood}

And thanks for asking!
    Mrs. dd had the pneumonia vaccine last week and had similar symptoms/reaction and rapid recovery after 400 mg of ibuprofen each night for 2 days after receiving the injection.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Ymm, Beer. And grilled meats, too, of course.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I had shingles a few years ago around my waist, butt and groin and it was AWFUL! Walking in pants was super painful. But having it doesn't mean I can't get it again.

So yesterday morning, as part of my yearly checkup, I had my first Shingrix shot and the side effects were pretty bad. Last night I developed chills, nausea, and body aches. This morning I feel exhausted and like I was hit by a Mack truck, but I think the worst is over. Still better than having shingles, but I support all those who suggest not making any plans the night of, or the day after, the vaccine.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I had shingles a few years ago around my waist, butt and groin and it was AWFUL! Walking in pants was super painful. But having it doesn't mean I can't get it again.

So yesterday morning, as part of my yearly checkup, I had my first Shingrix shot and the side effects were pretty bad. Last night I developed chills, nausea, and body aches. This morning I feel exhausted and like I was hit by a Mack truck, but I think the worst is over. Still better than having shingles, but I support all those who suggest not making any plans the night of, or the day after, the vaccine.
    Yup, I plant to get my second on some Friday where rain is predicted for the weekend. Probably due in a few weeks, so I can get my flu shot at the same time.

MrsPK says I also need a distemper shot. Not sure about that.

Yup, I plant to get my second on some Friday where rain is predicted for the weekend. Probably due in a few weeks, so I can get my flu shot at the same time.

MrsPK says I also need a distemper shot. Not sure about that.
    Have you been coughing up fur balls, or developing hot spots? Excessive licking?