Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    But it still has to be better than getting hammered by shingles.
    And far better than being hammered by post herpetic neuralgia.

A close friend just got shingles. He's 43. And real excited about the next 10-21 days.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    A close friend just got shingles. He's 43. And real excited about the next 10-21 days.
    Yikes. My wife had adult chicken pox in her 30s and lives in fear of Shingles. I don't think I want to share this thread with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yikes. My wife had adult chicken pox in her 30s and lives in fear of Shingles. I don't think I want to share this thread with her.
    gotta get the Shingrix vaccine, just lay aside the next day just in case she gets a reaction.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...html#:~:text=

If this report from the CDC is to be believed, grade 3 reactions like the one I (and others on this thread had) occur only 10% of the time, pretty decent odds.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    gotta get the Shingrix vaccine, just lay aside the next day just in case she gets a reaction.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...html#:~:text=

If this report from the CDC is to be believed, grade 3 reactions like the one I (and others on this thread had) occur only 10% of the time, pretty decent odds.
    Thanks!

So . . .guessing this is a bad time to get the vaccine given what is going on? Specifically (1) does this temporarily impair/overload immunity responses of the body; and (2) the side effects may mirror dangerous symptoms?

(serious inquiry)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . .guessing this is a bad time to get the vaccine given what is going on? Specifically (1) does this temporarily impair/overload immunity responses of the body; and (2) the side effects may mirror dangerous symptoms?

(serious inquiry)
    It is doubtful that anybody is actually administering the vaccine at this time.

I don't think it would actually overload your immunity, but nobody knows what the result might be of contracting SARS-CoV2 while you are already in the midst of an inflammatory response; maybe it would make you LESS likely to get really sick, maybe it would have no effect, maybe it would result in worse disease. Nobody wants to find out.

And yes, the side effects of the virus could certainly make you think that you had something else, which might lead you to present for medical care, which would actually do nothing more than increase your risk of contracting SARS-CoV2.

But again, I doubt anybody is actually giving the vaccine right now, anyway.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I don't think it would actually overload your immunity, but nobody knows what the result might be of contracting SARS-CoV2 while you are already in the midst of an inflammatory response; maybe it would make you LESS likely to get really sick, maybe it would have no effect, maybe it would result in worse disease. Nobody wants to find out.

And yes, the side effects of the virus could certainly make you think that you had something else, which might lead you to present for medical care, which would actually do nothing more than increase your risk of contracting SARS-CoV2.

Thanks, rsvman. The Kroger pharmacy was doing them a few weeks ago and it’s been on my list of things to get done. Sounds like a hard pass for now.

Again, thanks for the response to a serious inquiry. Stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks, rsvman. The Kroger pharmacy was doing them a few weeks ago and it’s been on my list of things to get done. Sounds like a hard pass for now.

Again, thanks for the response to a serious inquiry. Stay healthy.
    Ah, my wife decided to forego her second shot, did not want to go into Costco (or pretty much anywhere) and the first shot knocked her out so badly that she just thought (as you say) it might be a bad idea.
    She can perhaps play catchup ball sometime in the coming months, perhaps she has to have two shots again as the window for her second shot has expired.
    Suddenly dropped from a high priority to a pretty low one...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Mrs. Neals went to the pharmacy today and got her second Shingrix shot. She didn't want to miss the window and have to redo shot #1. Her side effects the first time around were mild.

No, she did not ask if I thought this was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Mrs. Neals went to the pharmacy today and got her second Shingrix shot. She didn't want to miss the window and have to redo shot #1. Her side effects the first time around were mild.

No, she did not ask if I thought this was a good idea.
    She was smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I was in the wrong 50% and got shingles on Valentines day last year. ... Anyway, it affects appetite, energy level, balance, coordination and sleep pattern.
    Very sorry about your ongoing struggles, and wanted to share this, as well:

Mrs. Phredd3 got what she thought was a mild cold, which came with some malaise and itchiness in and around her ears. She also lost hearing, which she attributed to cold-related congestion, although she didn't have many other nasal symptoms. She went to the doctor after about a week. Long story short, the doctor concluded she probably had an otherwise mild case of the shingles and PHN. The hearing loss is permanent, and it only mostly corrected with hearing aids due to permanent scarring.

I was planning to go for Shingrix soon, but it will have to wait for a while at this point. Insurance only covers it if I go through my PCP, and that office isn't taking non-urgent appointments at the moment. But I will for sure get it. I'm an active musician hobbyist, and I would find hearing loss to be devastating.

My response to shot#1 was consistent with most of the replies. Wow! Never had an issue with flu shots, etc. I'm due for shot #2 now but can't quite fathom it at the moment...

I got the notice from Walgreens that they had started doing Shingrix shots again. I went ahead and got my second one done today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I got the notice from Walgreens that they had started doing Shingrix shots again. I went ahead and got my second one done today.
    best of luck, and don't make any huge plans for tomorrow, just in case! I think Costco is doing them again, too...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    best of luck, and don't make any huge plans for tomorrow, just in case! I think Costco is doing them again, too...
    When I got the first one I definitely avoided having any huge plans. And thankfully I had a very minimal reaction to the first shot.

This time, avoiding huge plans is sort of built into routine

But thanks for the reminder.

No issue whatsoever with either of the two stabs. And I must say I'm happy to have them floating around in my immune system.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the conventional wisdom about whether you should get the vaccine if you aren't sure whether you had the chicken pox? I have no memory of having had it, but I know that some cases are really mild and might not have been noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the conventional wisdom about whether you should get the vaccine if you aren't sure whether you had the chicken pox? I have no memory of having had it, but I know that some cases are really mild and might not have been noticed.
    Absent any family recollections or childhood medical records, I think your best option is to check with your primary physician. There is an antibody test that may help you: Varicella-Zoster Virus Antibody (IgG). Your doc can tell you how accurate it is. Then you and the doc can decide whether Shingrix is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I can tell you this, about 30% of adults believe that they have never had chickenpox, but 95% are seropositive. That means that one out of every four adults believe they haven't had it but are wrong.

Serologic testing is reasonably accurate. You can ask your doctor for the test. It is likely to come back positive.