Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Apologies if this type of question has been addressed upthread.

I got a Moderna booster shot last Friday (Nov. 19). I am scheduled for Shingrix first dose on Dec. 2 (so 13 days apart).

Is there any reason not to get my first Shingrix then (i.e., push it out further)? I initially was going to get both at the same time (which my wife thought was nuts), but was able to get my Covid booster more quickly than that.

Thanks.
    "They" are saying it is OK to get shots close together or even at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    "They" are saying it is OK to get shots close together or even at the same time.
    My pharmacist recommended stringing the vaccines two weeks apart.
    Tom Mac

Thanks to some of you here who encouraged my getting it even though I'm not sure whether I had chicken pox as a kid, I got my first Shingles vaccine last week. Sore arm for a few days, and felt tired/achy for about 36 hours. It's certainly worth that, if I can avoid the huge problems that two people close to me had when they developed shingles.

Close to a fever(99.7)* and chills 18 hours in. Not awful but unpleasant. Which is why I try to avoid getting sick.

*I'm normally 97.1 this time of morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    My pharmacist recommended stringing the vaccines two weeks apart.
    Thanks. I am doing almost that. None of my Covid shots (Moderna) bothered me; hopefully this won't, either.

Shingrix gave me the sorest arm of any of the shots. Aside from that, nothing much.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Close to a fever(99.7)* and chills 18 hours in. Not awful but unpleasant. Which is why I try to avoid getting sick.

*I'm normally 97.1 this time of morning.
    Don't let your experience here stop you from getting the second shot.

PHN is somewhat unlikely, but far, far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Agreed. The shot is much better than the virus.

GWIW, the Shingrix shots were much worse for me than either Moderna COVID shot of the booster. But I got the shots on Fridays and was fine by Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Oh, that was the second shot. Little to no reaction to the first. I did have shingles about 5 years ago. Some physical pain but not a big event.

Shingrix #1 an hour and a half ago. So far, so good!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Here's hoping the experience for both shots is as painless for you as it was for me!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Here's hoping the experience for both shots is as painless for you as it was for me!
    Thanks. So far, just a slightly sore arm.

-jk

I finally got my first Shingrix nine days ago. I had a three-day weekend and I heard it could knock one for a loop, so I got it at 5:45 pm on Thursday.

In the middle of the night I got cold and had a bit of a headache. For the next three days or so I felt mostly ok but got exhausted with even minimal exertion. I had to take Tylenol for headaches each of the first three days.

The arm soreness and a red spot on my arm were pretty persistent. The spot was visible for about 5 days and the arm was sore for a full week.

But, I survived. Can't wait to do it again. My plan is to get it in January.

The only vaccine I had that caused worse arm soreness was the vaccine fir the plague, which I had to get when I was active duty Army. It was actually quite a bit worse than Shingrix.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I finally got my first Shingrix nine days ago. I had a three-day weekend and I heard it could knock one for a loop, so I got it at 5:45 pm on Thursday.

In the middle of the night I got cold and had a bit of a headache. For the next three days or so I felt mostly ok but got exhausted with even minimal exertion. I had to take Tylenol for headaches each of the first three days.

The arm soreness and a red spot on my arm were pretty persistent. The spot was visible for about 5 days and the arm was sore for a full week.

The only vaccine I had that caused worse arm soreness was the vaccine fir the plague, which I had to get when I was active duty Army. It was actually quite a bit worse than Shingrix.
    I had mild symptoms with the first shot.

No symptoms after the second shot.

I hope you have a similar experience.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I had Shangrix #1 and Covid Moderna booster 2 on the same day three weeks ago. I took it easy for a couple of days, plus a lot of Tylenol. Not too bad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Protocol is 2 to 6 months between shots. Can I ask why you're waiting for the long end? If you're not fully protected until the 2nd shot, why wait? I think I did mine between 2 and 3 months. This is your field so I am curious.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

always good to get the shot when you have a free day or two coming up...my wife was bedridden after each shot, I was after one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Protocol is 2 to 6 months between shots. Can I ask why you're waiting for the long end? If you're not fully protected until the 2nd shot, why wait? I think I did mine between 2 and 3 months. This is your field so I am curious.
    I don't know the details with regard to Shingrix specifically, but several other multi-else vaccines produce higher titers if the gap between the dosages is increased. Covid vaccine is one of these. The three-dose hepatitis vaccine works best when the doses are spread out as long as permissible.

The other thing is that it was unpleasant, and I would rather not do it again before I have to.

I woke up with chills and a slight fever, feeling a little clammy and nauseated the morning after having Shingrix #1 and a COVID booster the previous afternoon. I slept it off over a couple of hours and had nothing much after that besides a really sore arm for a few days. Probably due for my second Shingrix any time now. My sister had shingles a few years ago and I do not want that.