Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On the good news side, Mark Gilbert is back on the field practicing. No word on how he has looked.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Thanks. What confused me - he is listed as a freshman in the GoDuke.com roster. He is a soph.
    This article also lists him as a freshman.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigskindevil View Post
    i think he is still a frosh in the spring. will be a soph more next fall. maybe?
    Yeah, he's still a freshman right now...Spring semester of his freshman year. The roster on GoDuke is the 2019 roster, the 2020 roster (which will list him as a Soph) has not been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yeah, he's still a freshman right now...Spring semester of his freshman year. The roster on GoDuke is the 2019 roster, the 2020 roster (which will list him as a Soph) has not been released yet.
    Well, in truly GoDuke.com fashion, they HAVE released a 2020 prospectus roster which turns current frosh into sophs, albeit prematurely...:https://goduke.com/documents/2020/2/...Prospectus.pdf

(see pages 4-5 therein)

GoDuke.com has some cool stuff up - spring practice highlights and interviews including one with Gunnar.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Coach Cutcliffe comments:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/3/3/foo...-practice.aspx

Very positive outlook as expected.
    Bob Green

Spring practice #2 today. No injuries please.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Why on Earth does the N&O think I would be willing to subscribe for $15.99 per month to read their news?

Why on Earth does the N&O think I would be willing to subscribe for $15.99 per month to read their news?
    'Cause they think you're stupid. 🤓

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good article. So many questions that won't be answered until summer when Jarvis gets in the mix! (To which SW made often points.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good article. So many questions that won't be answered until summer when Jarvis gets in the mix! (To which SW made often points.)
    So am I the only one paywalled out of this article or what?

Gang of two now. When I clicked on the link, the title came up and then the "body" of the article went "white" on my screen. Fortunately, I'm an old geezer and was able to read the printed article this AM as I snarfed up (down?) my breakfast.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Gang of two now. When I clicked on the link, the title came up and then the "body" of the article went "white" on my screen. Fortunately, I'm an old geezer and was able to read the printed article this AM as I snarfed up (down?) my breakfast.
    My guess is that you have hit a quota. Try with a different browser. (Or from a different location/IP address)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Speaking of the News and Observer.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of their lives. No print Saturday edition. Digital only.

Within five years I suspect they will be digital only seven days a week.

Jarvis? You mean Chase Brice I assume...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of their lives. No print Saturday edition. Digital only.

Owned by the newly bankrupt McClatchy folks, it's not surprising. Our local paper is also owned by that group, and a reporter friend of mine has bemoaned how much they have been mismanaged since they were bought.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Sad day. Didn't all the McClatchy papers just get bought up? Reality is (definitely for our once thriving now nearly dead podunk daily) that the on-line subscriber model does NOT work for the vast majority of newspapers. The exceptions are the ones that have huge content, e.g. the NY Times...my local paper wants fees along the lines the Times get, but with literally (literally) 1% of the content, if that).

It was fun, in a throwback kind of way, to visit London recently where numerous dailies are still available, along with some decent freebies. Savored the London Times every day.

Owned by the newly bankrupt McClatchy folks, it's not surprising. Our local paper is also owned by that group, and a reporter friend of mine has bemoaned how much they have been mismanaged since they were bought.
    The (founding) Daniels family got out while the getting was good...or to some degree.

Back in the day, I was a Raleigh Times (the N/O's afternoon cousin) paper boy - and also a N/O high school sports correspondent. I was like 13,14 the youngest writer of any kind they had. My parents drove me to all these HS games...then back home...then back down to the N/O to turn in a paper copy typed on an Underwood typewriter for the morning edition.

I reported to Tim Stevens as correspondent. I got to do the "Fearless Forecast" as the guest picker one week...organized by Caulton Tudor and came out in the Thursday edition each week during football season. Tudor and Stevens liked to tease each other, so Tudor ignored the fact I was a sports correspondent and merely called me "ace paperboy" to troll Stevens. I remember Duke was playing Pitt i think - big underdogs - and the Cheats Notre Dame that week...I picked Duke for the upset but not the Cheats. They both pulled the big upsets. I went a mediocre 12-8 on my picks.

Can't remember what I had for breakfast today, but remember that. Lotta years...lotta years...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The (founding) Daniels family got out while the getting was good...or to some degree.

Back in the day, I was a Raleigh Times (the N/O's afternoon cousin) paper boy - and also a N/O high school sports correspondent. I was like 13,14 the youngest writer of any kind they had. My parents drove me to all these HS games...then back home...then back down to the N/O to turn in a paper copy typed on an Underwood typewriter for the morning edition.

I reported to Tim Stevens as correspondent. I got to do the "Fearless Forecast" as the guest picker one week...organized by Caulton Tudor and came out in the Thursday edition each week during football season. Tudor and Stevens liked to tease each other, so Tudor ignored the fact I was a sports correspondent and merely called me "ace paperboy" to troll Stevens. I remember Duke was playing Pitt i think - big underdogs - and the Cheats Notre Dame that week...I picked Duke for the upset but not the Cheats. They both pulled the big upsets. I went a mediocre 12-8 on my picks.

Can't remember what I had for breakfast today, but remember that. Lotta years...lotta years...
    I'm not going to read a cooler post today than this one. That's awesome!
    And while HereBeforeCoachK is a better board moniker, Ace Paperboy isn't a half bad band name.

Those were the days, when even smallish cities like Durham had morning AND afternoon papers (Who can forget Durham Mourning Harold? I can't)...