Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v UVa (Sat 2/29, 6:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I see that Saturday's game at UVA has been set as a 6:00PM tipoff. Perhaps this was announced a while ago and I just missed it. Are we to make anything of the fact that we did not get the more coveted 8PM spot, which now belongs to Michigan State - Maryland? Also I have read that College Gameday will be at that game rather than ours. Maybe Duke is losing some of its viewership appeal?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I see that Saturday's game at UVA has been set as a 6:00PM tipoff. Perhaps this was announced a while ago and I just missed it. Are we to make anything of the fact that we did not get the more coveted 8PM spot, which now belongs to Michigan State - Maryland? Also I have read that College Gameday will be at that game rather than ours. Maybe Duke is losing some of its viewership appeal?
    No. Duke will be prime time for the foreseeable future.

UVA viewership, however.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No. Duke will be prime time for the foreseeable future.

UVA viewership, however.
    Yeah, I think UVA has to take the bullet for this gameday “miss”. If my Hoos were a couple games better in the league, ranked, and this was a battle for 1st/2nd in the ACC rather than 3rd/4th, Reece and the guys would almost certainly be headed to C-ville.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Yeah, I think UVA has to take the bullet for this gameday “miss”. If my Hoos were a couple games better in the league, ranked, and this was a battle for 1st/2nd in the ACC rather than 3rd/4th, Reece and the guys would almost certainly be headed to C-ville.
    And as much as I love Bennett — y’all know I do — his style of play is not much-watch TV for the regular turn-on-the-game fan. I love old school defense and valued possession games, but I think I am in the distinct minority.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And as much as I love Bennett — y’all know I do — his style of play is not much-watch TV for the regular turn-on-the-game fan.
    Gameday has been at several Duke-UVA games in recent years, even though Bennett was employing the same style of play. I agree with our Wahoo friend that it has more to do with the teams’ places in the standings. If Duke was still vying for a 1 seed (i.e. one of these two recent debacles hadn’t happened) and UVA was where they are now, trying to play the role of spoiler and also secure a reasonable seed themselves, then this would be the featured game.

Duke has the two highest rated basketball games on ESPN this season (Kansas and unc)

Looking at the schedule, Gameday will most likely be in Durham next weekend for Duke-Carolina (the best game is Seton Hall-Creighton but that is on Fox and also obviously isn't the national draw of Duke-Carolina). So even though this week's game is in Charlottesville, I'm guessing they would rather avoid having Duke two weeks in a row as there are already a lot of people who think ESPN has too much Duke. Though one could counter-argue that they just did Michigan State-Maryland on February 15, but at least there is a week in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Duke has the two highest rated basketball games on ESPN this season (Kansas and unc)
    Not just ESPN, but in all college basketball. More than any game on Fox and CBS too. Obviously, given the ESPN's relationships with the ACC, Duke hasn't been on broadcast TV, but I'm sure the UNC game would have been rated even higher had it been on CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Looking at the schedule, Gameday will most likely be in Durham next weekend for Duke-Carolina (the best game is Seton Hall-Creighton but that is on Fox and also obviously isn't the national draw of Duke-Carolina). So even though this week's game is in Charlottesville, I'm guessing they would rather avoid having Duke two weeks in a row as there are already a lot of people who think ESPN has too much Duke. Though one could counter-argue that they just did Michigan State-Maryland on February 15, but at least there is a week in between.
    earlier in the season the schedule was announced, and it didn't have the unc game in cameron on it. I can no longer find the source for that, however, and on wikipedia, the schedule is listed as tentative.

In any case, it would mark the first time college game day didn't come to a season ending game against UNC in cameron. but UNC is also historically bad. we'll see, i guess.
    1200. DDMF.

Also the Big 10 is seen (probably rightfully so) as being much better than the ACC this year. So a game between the Big 10 leader and the marquee program in the conference is going to get the prime slot.

Also the Big 10 is seen (probably rightfully so) as being much better than the ACC this year. So a game between the Big 10 leader and the marquee program in the conference is going to get the prime slot.
    I don't think anyone can argue that the game has anything like the national interest that it did last year.

I know two hours isn't that big of a deal, but with the very quick turnaround of a 7 pm home game on Monday vs. NC State, I am glad we have the earlier slot so that the team can get home from Charlottesville at a more reasonable hour.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I know two hours isn't that big of a deal, but with the very quick turnaround of a 7 pm home game on Monday vs. NC State, I am glad we have the earlier slot so that the team can get home from Charlottesville at a more reasonable hour.
    I like the 6PM start -- 4PM in my time zone. I won't miss dinner.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

This doesn't add any analysis to the game but it's so weird to be playing an ACC for the first time with only three games to go.

This doesn't add any analysis to the game but it's so weird to be playing an ACC for the first time with only three games to go.
    Definitely. Hasn't happened since way back in 2019.

Scouting Report

We all know UVa by now. They play a super-slow pace. Their offense is extraordinarily deliberate, really working to get the best shot possible. Defensively, they play the pack line defense, which inherently slows the game down as they force you to work extra hard to get good shots. They are still elite defensively, but REALLY bad offensively this year, as they just don't have the weapons they have had in years past. That said, they've been much better in recent weeks than they were in December and early January.

On offense, they don't do much well. Arguably, they don't do anything WELL, and do very little even okay. They systematically don't attack the offensive glass (that's a program philosophy), they don't draw fouls (running their sets, shooting jumpers, and not offensive rebounding tends to mean fewer fouls drawn), and they don't shoot 3s well as a team. And this year they have even become turnover prone. So they rely HEAVILY on the defense.

Defensively, they do EVERYTHING well, except for forcing turnovers. They don't allow you to offensive rebound, they block your shots, and they contest everything. They allow teams to attempt a lot of 3s, but they have held teams to a low percentage on those 3s. They also don't send you to the line at all. And they block a lot of shots. It's a typically great defensive team under Bennett.

Bigs: Jay Huff (7'1", 245lb redshirt junior) is the starting center. Huff is the team's best rebounder and shotblocker, and is pretty mobile for a guy his size. On offense, he has range out to the 3pt line, although he has been a bit underutilized in that role this year. He's not a great free throw shooter, but he doesn't draw a ton of fouls anyway. His backup, assuming Bennett decides to use him, is Francisco Caffaro (7'0", 245lb redshirt freshman from Argentina). Caffaro plays as needed, but he's a work in progress, developmental type. The goal would be a Jack Salt type of player down the line.

Forwards: Mamadi Diakite (6'9", 225lb redshirt senior from Guinea) and Braxton Key (6'8", 230lb fifth-year senior via Alabama) are the primary guys at forward. Diakite is long and lean, with decent shotblocking skills, solid athleticism, and a burgeoning 3pt shot. He's also got a bit of a post game, and is the go-to scorer for the Cavs. Key is sort of a hybrid of Lance Thomas and Josh Hairston, but more utilized and more confident. He is athletic and versatile defensively, and capable of hitting a 3 although he hasn't shot it well this year. Key and Diakite are the most likely to get to the line. Key shoots poorly from the line, Diakite shoots reasonably well.

Wings: Here's where the weakness lies for the Cavs. They have taken a BIG hit in quality on the perimeter. Thomas Woldentensae (6'5", 195lb junior JuCo transfer from Italy via Indian Hills CC) is the primary option on the wing. The guy can shoot, as UNC found out the hard way in their recent home loss to the Cavs. Pretty much the only things Woldentensae does is shoot 3s. He hits 38% of them. Pretty nondescript athletically, and doesn't provide anything off the dribble. Casey Morsell (6'3", 195lb freshman) is the other primary wing. Morsell can shoot it a bit, but is a pure role player at this point. He is tough and plays within the flow of the game, but struggles as a ballhandler and hasn't translated his FT shooting to the 3pt line yet. Lastly, Kody Stattmann (6'7", 200lb sophomore from Australia) is the backup. Stattmann is a little reminiscent in style and even appearance to Mike Dunleavy Jr. He's obviously not nearly as good and not as springy as Dunleavy, but stylistically they are similar. A bit of a do-everything type of wing, but still very much a developmental player.

Guards: The Cavs' offense revolves around Kihei Clark (5'9", 165lb sophomore). Clark is their version of Tre Jones: the guy who never comes out of the game. Clark is a jitterbug of a PG, super quick and lightweight. He handles the ball A LOT for the Cavs, as they are pretty limited off the dribble everywhere else. If they don't get a shot with their first action, the ball typically comes right back to Clark and they try something different. Clark can attack off the dribble, but his size and lack of strength make finishing inside difficult. When he drives, he's usually looking to pass. He's a solid 3pt shooter and terrific free throw shooter, although again he doesn't get to the line frequently. He's a terrific floor general for them... they just need more weapons around him.

It will be interesting to see if Jones and Goldwire can contain Clark. If so, the Cavs will struggle to score 50. Of course, they have shown they can win while scoring less than 50 (3 such wins this year, and they have held 5 ACC opponents to under 50). I'm also interested to see if Carey can get his against the pack line. The matchups with Key and Diakite will be interesting as well. I feel as though we'll win, simply because UVa has so much trouble scoring. But if we play the way we have played recently on the road, the Cavs are certainly capable of beating us.

Must win game for our team morale going into the tournament.

After the robbery at Wake I want our guys to play angry.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Definitely. Hasn't happened since way back in 2019.
    How about, it’s weird to be playing a team for the first time 18 games into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We all know UVa by now. They play a super-slow pace. Their offense is extraordinarily deliberate, really working to get the best shot possible. Defensively, they play the pack line defense, which inherently slows the game down as they force you to work extra hard to get good shots. They are still elite defensively, but REALLY bad offensively this year, as they just don't have the weapons they have had in years past. That said, they've been much better in recent weeks than they were in December and early January.

On offense, they don't do much well. Arguably, they don't do anything WELL, and do very little even okay. They systematically don't attack the offensive glass (that's a program philosophy), they don't draw fouls (running their sets, shooting jumpers, and not offensive rebounding tends to mean fewer fouls drawn), and they don't shoot 3s well as a team. And this year they have even become turnover prone. So they rely HEAVILY on the defense.

Defensively, they do EVERYTHING well, except for forcing turnovers. They don't allow you to offensive rebound, they block your shots, and they contest everything. They allow teams to attempt a lot of 3s, but they have held teams to a low percentage on those 3s. They also don't send you to the line at all. And they block a lot of shots. It's a typically great defensive team under Bennett.

Bigs: Jay Huff (7'1", 245lb redshirt junior) is the starting center. Huff is the team's best rebounder and shotblocker, and is pretty mobile for a guy his size. On offense, he has range out to the 3pt line, although he has been a bit underutilized in that role this year. He's not a great free throw shooter, but he doesn't draw a ton of fouls anyway. His backup, assuming Bennett decides to use him, is Francisco Caffaro (7'0", 245lb redshirt freshman from Argentina). Caffaro plays as needed, but he's a work in progress, developmental type. The goal would be a Jack Salt type of player down the line.

Forwards: Mamadi Diakite (6'9", 225lb redshirt senior from Guinea) and Braxton Key (6'8", 230lb fifth-year senior via Alabama) are the primary guys at forward. Diakite is long and lean, with decent shotblocking skills, solid athleticism, and a burgeoning 3pt shot. He's also got a bit of a post game, and is the go-to scorer for the Cavs. Key is sort of a hybrid of Lance Thomas and Josh Hairston, but more utilized and more confident. He is athletic and versatile defensively, and capable of hitting a 3 although he hasn't shot it well this year. Key and Diakite are the most likely to get to the line. Key shoots poorly from the line, Diakite shoots reasonably well.

Wings: Here's where the weakness lies for the Cavs. They have taken a BIG hit in quality on the perimeter. Thomas Woldentensae (6'5", 195lb junior JuCo transfer from Italy via Indian Hills CC) is the primary option on the wing. The guy can shoot, as UNC found out the hard way in their recent home loss to the Cavs. Pretty much the only things Woldentensae does is shoot 3s. He hits 38% of them. Pretty nondescript athletically, and doesn't provide anything off the dribble. Casey Morsell (6'3", 195lb freshman) is the other primary wing. Morsell can shoot it a bit, but is a pure role player at this point. He is tough and plays within the flow of the game, but struggles as a ballhandler and hasn't translated his FT shooting to the 3pt line yet. Lastly, Kody Stattmann (6'7", 200lb sophomore from Australia) is the backup. Stattmann is a little reminiscent in style and even appearance to Mike Dunleavy Jr. He's obviously not nearly as good and not as springy as Dunleavy, but stylistically they are similar. A bit of a do-everything type of wing, but still very much a developmental player.

Guards: The Cavs' offense revolves around Kihei Clark (5'9", 165lb sophomore). Clark is their version of Tre Jones: the guy who never comes out of the game. Clark is a jitterbug of a PG, super quick and lightweight. He handles the ball A LOT for the Cavs, as they are pretty limited off the dribble everywhere else. If they don't get a shot with their first action, the ball typically comes right back to Clark and they try something different. Clark can attack off the dribble, but his size and lack of strength make finishing inside difficult. When he drives, he's usually looking to pass. He's a solid 3pt shooter and terrific free throw shooter, although again he doesn't get to the line frequently. He's a terrific floor general for them... they just need more weapons around him.

It will be interesting to see if Jones and Goldwire can contain Clark. If so, the Cavs will struggle to score 50. Of course, they have shown they can win while scoring less than 50 (3 such wins this year, and they have held 5 ACC opponents to under 50). I'm also interested to see if Carey can get his against the pack line. The matchups with Key and Diakite will be interesting as well. I feel as though we'll win, simply because UVa has so much trouble scoring. But if we play the way we have played recently on the road, the Cavs are certainly capable of beating us.
    Trying to muster any kind of optimism for this matchup. Looks like the game plan needs to be to contain Clark and look for good shots. I'll bet the difference in the game will be how well we shoot 3s. This one feels like Vernon will struggle, as UVAs interior defense is excellent. Last year we had the Hoos number because of, well, Zion and RJ. In our road win last year, our 3pt and FT shooting were horrible overall, but Zion and RJ were very efficient. We'll need some semblance of hyper-efficient play from two or three of our guys to pull this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    We'll need some semblance of hyper-efficient play from two or three of our guys to pull this one out.
    I would caution not to compare too much with last year. This UVa team is MUCH worse offensively than last year's UVa team. And remember that we played that game without Tre Jones last year. So there's very little I would take from that game, other than that UVa plays really good defense.