Coved-19 And Tournaments

Let me be the first to ask the question. Considering Covid-19 will it be safe to go ahead with the NCAA Tournament before live spectators? What about the ACC Tournament?

There is currently no continuing transmission in the US.

If US has multiple chains of transmissions at or near tournament cities, then I would expect the games to be played in empty / reduced capacity stadiums.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    There is currently no continuing transmission in the US.

If US has multiple chains of transmissions at or near tournament cities, then I would expect the games to be played in empty / reduced capacity stadiums.
    Good thing UNC won't be in the NCAA tourney, since they are used to playing in dead silence. They'd have a major advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Good thing UNC won't be in the NCAA tourney, since they are used to playing in dead silence. They'd have a major advantage.
    Excuse me! The heel fans can grunt pretty loud when trying to open a bottle of wine or slicing a particularly hard wheel of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Excuse me! The heel fans can grunt pretty loud when trying to open a bottle of wine or slicing a particularly hard wheel of cheese.
    I believe that would be opening a box of wine or squeezing out some Easy Cheese. Only the best over in Chapel Hill...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe that would be opening a box of wine or squeezing out some Easy Cheese. Only the best over in Chapel Hill...
    "Velveeta and Cheese Whiz: Comparing and Contrasting" is a 200-level course at UNC. It's a lab obviously, so it counts for extra hours.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Velveeta and Cheese Whiz: Comparing and Contrasting" is a 200-level course at UNC. It's a lab obviously, so it counts for extra hours.
    Who would ever call unc clever?

Two products with the shelf life of treated lumber. Since no one attends classes there, they can have the same box and jar at each "class" for decades.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    If I may be so bold, I think this thread should be closed. All indications are that we are nowhere near a scenario where this would conceivably happen in mere weeks, and having a thread on it may serve to spread misinformation (with or without intent) and stoke unnecessary fear.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If I may be so bold, I think this thread should be closed. All indications are that we are nowhere near a scenario where this would conceivably happen in mere weeks, and having a thread on it may serve to spread misinformation (with or without intent) and stoke unnecessary fear.
    I dunno. Japan just ordered their schools to be closed for a month and their first case was not long ago. There is talk of cancelling the Olympics. I was wondering this morning, as a good Catholic, whether the Vatican would cancel or curtail the Easter morning service in St. Peter's Square where 80,000 or so (IIRC) pilgrims gather -- Italy has a big problem even though their first reported case was not very long ago either. For those who follow poker, Doug Polk tweeted last night or this morning that he thought there was a chance of cancelling this year's WSOP.

While it is highly doubtful (IMO) that the ACCT or NCAAT would be cancelled, it's certainly on some people's minds.

The risk of spreading misinformation on this board compared to what is happening on the internet in general is about the same risk of catching the Coved-19 by reading this board compared to eating from the buffet on a Diamond Princess Cruise.

Frankly, you can get much more reliable information here than on major "news" sites.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The risk of spreading misinformation on this board compared to what is happening on the internet in general is about the same risk of catching the Coved-19 by reading this board compared to eating from the buffet on a Diamond Princess Cruise.

Frankly, you can get much more reliable information here than on major "news" sites.
    Oh yes, and there's a political angle to this story that motivates the "news" sites even more towards hype, and they're motivated towards hype in any case. But that's a discussion for OFF TOPIC or better yet, another forum...for decorum...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Oh yes, and there's a political angle to this story that motivates the "news" sites even more towards hype, and they're motivated towards hype in any case. But that's a discussion for OFF TOPIC or better yet, another forum...for decorum...
    Ah yes, everything is polarized and politicized by both ends of the spectrum rather than focusing on solutions.

We live in interesting times.

My sister is struggling with exactly how stressed to be about this situation. I linked her to the thread on this forum as a reputable information source.

"Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country."
    Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
    https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=69190968

Community spread has occurred in South Korea, Japan and Italy already and it's causing major disruptions in those countries.

We have been having a robust and quite informative discussion of all this on the off-topic board for some weeks now. Several very knowledgeable DBR posters, including at least one person who works in viral immunology (or something like that) have posted. I am going to close this thread down and urge all of you to redirect your comments to the already existing thread over there: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ria-or-The-End

-Jason "there has been no talk yet about curtailing sporting event attendance in the US" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?