Glad we are not 4 and 13

Given all the negative vibes on the board I can’t imagine what this board would look like if duke was 4 and 13 in the acc

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Given all the negative vibes on the board I can’t imagine what this board would look like if duke was 4 and 13 in the acc
    We would be wondering if K is past his prime- we would be wondering if the OAD recruiting strategy was wise- we would be complaining about the officiating - we would be looking to next years recruiting class as the best ever and we would be wondering if there was a chance we could make a run at the end of the season and winning the ACC tourney. In other words we would be doing the same as we always do.

We’d be upset with Pete G.

Negative Vibes. No we are passionate Duke basketball fans with opinions to express.
    After the Wake Forest meltdown WTF do you expect the posts to say.
    And all the posts that say we are spoiled, that is just a lame comment.
    No we appreciate winning games that Duke should win.

We are having a good year.since the 70s duke usually has good years .we have been lucky enough to have great years .with out our title runs these would be our great years .

Im fairly happy with this year.
    The zion rockstar craziness was great also.
    The last time we had that was with Hurley ,laettner and company .im not sure zion got quite to that level but it was close.
    Twice in a programs lifetime is legendary at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    We are having a good year.since the 70s duke usually has good years .we have been lucky enough to have great years .with out our title runs these would be our great years .

Im fairly happy with this year.
    The zion rockstar craziness was great also.
    The last time we had that was with Hurley ,laettner and company .im not sure zion got quite to that level but it was close.
    Twice in a programs lifetime is legendary at the least.
    Heh...I'd say due to the social media climate, Zion got to an even higher level than the Laettner, Hurley, Hill team of 91-92...but man, can you imagine that team with today's social media????

we am some spoiled fans for sure...we read all about how we get the "#1 #2 or #3 or whatever class, and then expect that to auto-win. we've had so many winning seasons that we expect to win, and we feel cheated when we don't...that's spoiled...

i've had cautious expectations for this year. Especially after having that team last year and not closing escrow...so, i'm just enjoying the ride.

2009-2019 team lost 5..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Thanks for the reality check. You are right. We have gone off the rails because a team made up mostly of teenagers played badly for a few games.

It just feels like we're doomed in March, which is what stinks. I've mentioned it before, but since the mid-90s, we don't make surprise runs to the Final Four anymore. So whether we end up as a 2 seed or a 3 seed (hopefully not worse), I think among us fans there will be more fear that we lose the first weekend than there is hope that we make it to Atlanta.

Put another way, if this season were happening in the mid-90s, we'd be way more confident and willing to brush off the losses at NCSU and at Wake. But it just feels like impending doom at this point.

Coach K has said all season that this is an "old school" Duke team. I've never actually understood what he means by that. If it's commentary that we used to have deep rotations [although he seems to be back to an 8-man rotation with this current team] and less star talent, that is wrong, haha. But hopefully he is proven right in one way -- that we end up making a Final Four run when not having a 1-seed.

Also, anyone who has read my posts over the past two decades or so on this forum knows that I tend toward the optimistic side.

But I can't lie. I really do feel impending doom. The history of our program when not having a 1-seed has been rough since the mid-90s.

I'm just going to post my honest feelings and hope nobody loses respect for me or something, hahahah.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It just feels like we're doomed in March, which is what stinks. I've mentioned it before, but since the mid-90s, we don't make surprise runs to the Final Four anymore. So whether we end up as a 2 seed or a 3 seed (hopefully not worse), I think among us fans there will be more fear that we lose the first weekend than there is hope that we make it to Atlanta.

Put another way, if this season were happening in the mid-90s, we'd be way more confident and willing to brush off the losses at NCSU and at Wake. But it just feels like impending doom at this point.

Coach K has said all season that this is an "old school" Duke team. I've never actually understood what he means by that. If it's commentary that we used to have deep rotations [although he seems to be back to an 8-man rotation with this current team] and less star talent, that is wrong, haha. But hopefully he is proven right in one way -- that we end up making a Final Four run when not having a 1-seed.
    I feel the opposite this time around. This feels like a tourney team and I don't see another team this well rounded outside of maybe 3 teams.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Also, anyone who has read my posts over the past two decades or so on this forum knows that I tend toward the optimistic side.

But I can't lie. I really do feel impending doom. The history of our program when not having a 1-seed has been rough since the mid-90s.

I'm just going to post my honest feelings and hope nobody loses respect for me or something, hahahah.
    You’ve got way too much credit in the DBR ledger for anyone to lose respect (imo).

In the spirit of the optimism thread, as far as seeding goes, if the current floor for our seed is a 3, in theory it means there are only 2 teams expected to do better in our pre Final Four bracket.

Sure the reality may be different, and we may see mismatches that put Duke at a disadvantage. However, we’ve seen a variety of lineups and tinkering based on what is working, and what isn’t.
    Opponents can game plan for Tre, and Vernon, maybe to a lesser extent Cassius.

How do you game plan for Alex, Joey, Wendell, or Matthew going off? Or Javin having a Michigan State game?

Part of what last game taught the team is really that we don’t have one player whose hero ball can will Duke to victory.

The Duke team that shows up motivated, prepared, and ready to go from the tip can beat any team in the country. The Duke team that has appeared a few times this season can be beaten by any team. As a fan, that’s the frustrating part.

Let’s Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You’ve got way too much credit in the DBR ledger for anyone to lose respect (imo).

In the spirit of the optimism thread, as far as seeding goes, if the current floor for our seed is a 3, in theory it means there are only 2 teams expected to do better in our pre Final Four bracket.

Sure the reality may be different, and we may see mismatches that put Duke at a disadvantage. However, we’ve seen a variety of lineups and tinkering based on what is working, and what isn’t.
    Opponents can game plan for Tre, and Vernon, maybe to a lesser extent Cassius.

How do you game plan for Alex, Joey, Wendell, or Matthew going off? Or Javin having a Michigan State game?

Part of what last game taught the team is really that we don’t have one player whose hero ball can will Duke to victory.

The Duke team that shows up motivated, prepared, and ready to go from the tip can beat any team in the country. The Duke team that has appeared a few times this season can be beaten by any team. As a fan, that’s the frustrating part.

Let’s Go Duke!
    Maybe we haven't thrown enough punches to destroy the opposing game plans?

If Duke were playing the rest of this season in Cameron, I'd be very confident but alas, the powers that be won't let us do that. I just can't figure this team out. I know we don't have one top five rated sure fire NBA draft pick to lead us. But we do have some good basketball players. Those good players however do have weaknesses and those weaknesses have showed up in our losses. Vernon is a very good offensive player but not so good on defense. Hurt, same thing. Wendell is great on defense but is sometimes a disrupter on offense with his careless ball handling and his tendency to drive into a crowded lane. Goldwire is a good defender but is shaky with the ball at times. Tre and Cassius seem to be the two players that are good on offense and defense, but Cassius does seem to get into foul trouble in tight games. These next few games are going to tell us a lot about our chances in the ACCT and NCAAT. I hope to see some individual improvement from our guys that will translate to team improvement. At this point in the season, the young players should be reacting and not having to think so much. Other teams are not going to roll over and play dead just because we have DUKE in the uniform

GoDuke!

if my bar is ever "not last in the acc" I'll find something else to cheer for.

9f