Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Jack OK?

Is Jack OK?

Does anyone know what is wrong with Jack? Has he fallen so far in the doghouse that he can't get on the court. Is there some kind of injury that isn't being said?

I also would like to know why he's disappeared. I'm optimistic though - saw his picture on a milk carton this morning, so I have faith the authorities will quickly find this man and return him to his rightful home (on the court, not the bench).

It is just puzzling because he had a role and even started games. Now he is so far down the bench that JRob is getting minutes.
    I know that coming to Duke, Jack was somewhat of a project and needed to be accolated to USA basketball, but he earned his stuff until now. I just cant fathom what is going on behind the scenes for this to happen.

A Duke fan asked me did I think it was because Coach K knows Jack can't transfer because he's a senior. Where as Baker and Alex can. I told him I didn't think that's the reason for Jacks lack of playing time. He then asked, why isn't he playing more then? I had no answer.

GoDuke!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I was going to make a similar thread (maybe with a more diplomatically worded title, haha), because it's a question that bears asking. If Jack was dealing with a nagging injury, or was super sick, he probably wouldn't be playing at all. Instead, he seems to be getting "token" minutes, only seeing the court for a spurt of a minute or two a game.

It's also worth mentioning that our recent subpar performances are highly correlated with Jack's absence. Jack has only exceeded 10 minutes per game once (the UNC game) in our past seven games. That includes playing just one minute last night, 4 in Raleigh, and 3 against Florida State. Even in blowouts against Va. Tech and Notre Dame he only saw 3 and 9 minutes, respectively.

To put that in perspective, prior to this seven game stretch, Jack only had TWO games in which he played less than twelve minutes. Even with the last seven games pulling down his average, his MPG is still 16.

There's an argument to be made that Jack has just fallen to the end of the bench given the athletic and interchangeable pieces we have this year. But if that were the case you'd still expect to see him in a game like last night's in which we were ravaged by foul trouble... as great as JRob was, I have to imagine that if something wasn't up with Jack he'd be getting those minutes.

Jack White was a crucial element of this team for the first three quarters of the season, and now has seemingly disappeared without any rhyme or reason. And playing one minute spurts makes it even harder to discern whats up (if he was truly injured he wouldn't be playing at all, and that probably would be the case if he was somehow in the "doghouse" as well). Throughout the early season I highlighted a ton of "winning plays" Jack made, be they especially tough rebounds, smart defense, etc., that might not show up on the box score but were a big part in our success. We could use some of that fire and toughness now.

Anyone who has access to Duke press conferences, ask this question, please! K won't answer (as I know from experience), but it's worth a shot
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Is this really a mystery? He's played poorly.

It seems he's unfortunately caught a case of the Greg Newtons.

Performance in games is a key component but he can still add things such as rebounding, hustle and communication on the court. He isn't a big but at 6-7 and 222 he can battle with 4's. Last night Vernon, Javin and JRob all fouled out. Hurt was the only big guy left and he is not a big that plays big on D. I think looking at the big picture, Duke needs to start recruiting to have more depth at the 5 and 4 with guys that can play as bigs and defend bigs.

Look at next season, Williams, and Coleman will man the 5. Johnson and Brakefield the 4 (if Hurt doesn't come back) and 4 of them are FR. There something to be said for having upper classmen like Jack, Javin and JRob who can play as bigs and bring experience and leadership although Duke needs production from them too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Jack White was a crucial element of this team for the first three quarters of the season, and now has seemingly disappeared without any rhyme or reason. And playing one minute spurts makes it even harder to discern whats up (if he was truly injured he wouldn't be playing at all, and that probably would be the case if he was somehow in the "doghouse" as well). Throughout the early season I highlighted a ton of "winning plays" Jack made, be they especially tough rebounds, smart defense, etc., that might not show up on the box score but were a big part in our success. We could use some of that fire and toughness now.
    You stated this better than I could have.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Librarian View Post
    Is this really a mystery? He's played poorly.
    Have you watched the team play on the road at all the past 2 weeks? Everyone is playing poorly.

You just don't put a guy in a game for 1 minute and then never give him another shot to contribute. I don't care if he's in the doghouse. We needed to win this game, and Coach K let whatever is going on with him and Jack affect this team's season in a negative way.

I feel bad for Jack. He's a captain for this team, and he's a senior. It must have been really tough to watch that game from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Have you watched the team play on the road at all the past 2 weeks? Everyone is playing poorly.

You just don't put a guy in a game for 1 minute and then never give him another shot to contribute. I don't care if he's in the doghouse. We needed to win this game, and Coach K let whatever is going on with him and Jack affect this team's season in a negative way.

I feel bad for Jack. He's a captain for this team, and he's a senior. It must have been really tough to watch that game from the bench.
    Yup. And I'll add I don't think Jack has played that poorly. He's shooting 34% from 3, which is muuuuuuch better than the last two years. His per 40 numbers are basically the same as last year (with the exception of 3pt shooting which is up and rebounds which are down). And, most importantly, he still provides excellent leadership and defense.

And when your big men are playing poorly or fouling like it's the NBA Summer League, why the hell is Jack not being played?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Performance in games is a key component but he can still add things such as rebounding, hustle and communication on the court. He isn't a big but at 6-7 and 222 he can battle with 4's. Last night Vernon, Javin and JRob all fouled out. Hurt was the only big guy left and he is not a big that plays big on D. I think looking at the big picture, Duke needs to start recruiting to have more depth at the 5 and 4 with guys that can play as bigs and defend bigs.

Look at next season, Williams, and Coleman will man the 5. Johnson and Brakefield the 4 (if Hurt doesn't come back) and 4 of them are FR. There something to be said for having upper classmen like Jack, Javin and JRob who can play as bigs and bring experience and leadership although Duke needs production from them too.

I 100% agree with you there. Unfortunately the past two seasons the teams have suffered from an anemic offense outside of a couple of players. Too often it feels like we're playing 2 on 5 on the offensive end, and if Goldwire is going to get big minutes it's hard to find playing time for those who struggle to score.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

The bolded is the reason why this is so weird. The two most logical explanations for the precipitous drop off in Jack's minutes, especially considering the adversity this team has faced over the past couple of weeks, is that he's dealing with a nagging injury or in the doghouse. But neither of those explanations make sense with him getting a single minute of PT... if either were the case, he'd likely be getting a few games with zero minutes entirely.

This is compounded by the type of player Jack is. If AOC or Joey get 1 or 2 minutes of PT that makes sense: they're guys who need to provide an offensive spark off the bench, and if they take a couple bad shots and its clear they aren't going to provide that, giving them the hook makes sense. But Jack's influence is felt over longer periods on the defensive end, on the glass, and through his leadership. So again, these 1 minute bursts he's been getting seem extra odd.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Help me out guys, in the one minute that Jack was in last night, didn't he turn the ball over? If I remember correctly (and I may not be) he caught a pass on the wing and then attempted a pass out to one of the guards and it was stolen. Do I have that right?

IF I do, then my guess is that K just isn't going to let someone with a "C" on his jersey play if he can't make a pass.

Help me out guys, in the one minute that Jack was in last night, didn't he turn the ball over? If I remember correctly (and I may not be) he caught a pass on the wing and then attempted a pass out to one of the guards and it was stolen. Do I have that right?

IF I do, then my guess is that K just isn't going to let someone with a "C" on his jersey play if he can't make a pass.
    But Coach K is willing to let someone with a "C" on his jersey play if he commits 5 fouls in 4 minutes?

Poor play isn't the primary reason for Jack's absence.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    But Coach K is willing to let someone with a "C" on his jersey play if he commits 5 fouls in 4 minutes?

Poor play isn't the primary reason for Jack's absence.

Yeah, I hear you on this one. Honestly, I don't think K would play Javin if he had a better option. In my opinion Javin gets minutes because he's the only other big on the roster, and Carey just can't go 35 minutes per game.

If Hurt was remotely capable I don't think Javin would see the floor.

You could always check the box score . . .

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401168369

Jack didn't commit a turnover. Our starters were responsible for all 16 turnovers last night. But turnovers weren't the major problem, it was our half court defense, especially on the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The bolded is the reason why this is so weird. The two most logical explanations for the precipitous drop off in Jack's minutes, especially considering the adversity this team has faced over the past couple of weeks, is that he's dealing with a nagging injury or in the doghouse. But neither of those explanations make sense with him getting a single minute of PT... if either were the case, he'd likely be getting a few games with zero minutes entirely.

This is compounded by the type of player Jack is. If AOC or Joey get 1 or 2 minutes of PT that makes sense: they're guys who need to provide an offensive spark off the bench, and if they take a couple bad shots and its clear they aren't going to provide that, giving them the hook makes sense. But Jack's influence is felt over longer periods on the defensive end, on the glass, and through his leadership. So again, these 1 minute bursts he's been getting seem extra odd.
    I totally get what you're saying. I will counter by asking if this year's offense is beginning to feel like last year's offense when the majority of scoring came from two players? I think K is desperately trying to get the shooters going so that Carey won't be doubled in the post, and Tre will have space to drive.

I could be totally wrong here but my guess is that a major contributor to Jack's lack of playing time is the emergence of Jordan Goldwire. When Goldwire is on the floor we don't have enough scorers for another defense-only type player.

I could be wrong. I'm certainly no expert.

Jack didn't commit a turnover. Our starters were responsible for all 16 turnovers last night. But turnovers weren't the major problem, it was our half court defense, especially on the interior.
    Yes, thank you. I did check the box score. The box score is probably correct, which is why I was asking if anyone saw the same thing as I did or if I was miss-remembering. I noticed when Jack came in and I thought that he had an errant pass and thought that that was the end of his night.

This is a touchy subject because we get emotionally attached to these kids and want them to succeed.

In this instance, I'll trust my own eyes over the box score. Jack did make a terrible pass that lead to a turnover in his one minute of action.

Having said that, I didn't see such poor play from him in the games where he was getting run that he suddenly needed to be put at the end of the bench. This leads me to think he's either really not playing well in practice, or something else that's beyond our knowledge has gone on behind the scenes. Otherwise, I'm really stumped by a senior captain getting so little play in a game where multiple other teammates fouled out.