Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v Wake Forest (Tue, 2/25, 7:00 pm, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Here's what I wrote last time about Wake Forest.

One of these years, Danny Manning is going to get on the hot seat for his lackluster performance. I think it might be next year. Or maybe it will be the year after that? He has a guaranteed contract through the 2025 season and a monster buyout. It'll take a lot of losing for Wake Forest to bite the bullet and terminate the coach. At just 8-6 overall and 1-3 in conference, Manning is doing his part to make the decision for the AD.

Despite returning many top scorers from last year's team, the Demon Deacons are just so-so. Duke fans should recognize several names on the roster. Leading the charge is 6'0" SR PG Brandon Childress. The dynamic PG is not shooting the ball as well from distance (30%) this season as in years past, but is taking and making more shots from inside the arc and is averaging a career best 16 points per game to go along with 4.6 assists. Joining Childress in the backcourt is 6'5" JR G Chaundee Brown. Brown is progressing as a high quality scoring complement to Childress and is one of the better rebounding guards in the country, pulling in 6.5 boards per game. Childress and Brown are joined in the backcourt by a pair of 6'3" seniors, including starter Andrien White and reserve Torry Johnson. White, a transfer from Charlotte, is the better shooter of the pair while Johnson, in his second year at Wake after a transfer from Northern Arizona, is more of a slasher. Both see about 23 minutes per game, so expect to see them on the court. Freshman Jahcobi Neath (6'3") provides a couple of backup PG minutes to Childress.

Up front, The Demon Deacons are anchored by 7'0" JR C Olivier Sarr, from Toulouse, France. Perhaps Sarr is the reason for Danny Manning's struggles in Winston-Salem as Sarr was born Toulouse. Dad jokes aside, Sarr is a good if not great big man. He has doubled his production from his sophomore year, averaging more than 12 points and 9 rebounds per game in about 25 minutes per game. And he is doing that off the bench this season. In place of Sarr, Manning starts the game with a pair of young forwards, 6'8" SO Isaiah Mucius and 6'9" FR Ody Oguama. Neither Mucius or Oguama have much more than 205 pounds on their thin frames. Another thin forward, 6'8" FR Ismael Massoud from East Harlem, NY, rounds out the frontcourt options. Massoud might be the best shooter on the team. One wonders how the team will contain Vernon Carey, Jr. when they are starting players that more physically resemble wings and small forwards up front. Sarr might have to check in right away and avoid foul trouble throughout the night.

Overall, Wake Forest is a fairly mediocre team. They do not foul much at all and are a good defensive rebounding team. They appear averse to forcing turnovers and, outside of Sarr, do not have much size to throw at Duke. They are reasonably experienced in the backcourt and have a couple of dynamic playmakers in Childress and Brown. On paper, this will be the easiest game Duke has to play the rest of the season. After almost getting stung in Atlanta, look for Duke to exorcise some demons at home on Saturday night.
    Since the first Duke game, a 90-59 victory for the Blue Devils, Danny Manning's Demon Deacons have floundered. They have home wins over BC, Clemson, and UNC but sit at 4-12 in conference play overall. They did give Louisville and Virginia a stiff test, however. Duke cannot afford to show up flat on the road. Letting Wake think they can play with Duke would be a bad idea. Simply put, this is a game where Duke needs to come out and assert itself early.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here's what I wrote last time about Wake Forest.

Since the first Duke game, a 90-59 victory for the Blue Devils, Danny Manning's Demon Deacons have floundered. They have home wins over BC, Clemson, and UNC but sit at 4-12 in conference play overall. They did give Louisville and Virginia a stiff test, however. Duke cannot afford to show up flat on the road. Letting Wake think they can play with Duke would be a bad idea. Simply put, this is a game where Duke needs to come out and assert itself early.
    Don’t hold me to this, but I think Wake is finally healthy. Duke has tended to struggle in Switzerland, but generally finds a win to come out of the Joel with a W. Should be a good-sized Duke contingent in the stands.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It’s either going to be a 30 point blowout or a catastrophic loss. There seems to be no in between 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Don’t hold me to this, but I think Wake is finally healthy. Duke has tended to struggle in Switzerland, but generally finds a win to come out of the Joel with a W. Should be a good-sized Duke contingent in the stands.
    Switzerland? A true neutral site?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It’s either going to be a 30 point blowout or a catastrophic loss. There seems to be no in between 😀
    I am happy with an 8 point win which is what I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Switzerland? A true neutral site?
    Basically. Generally peaceful & quiet. Everyone's second-favorite team/country (after their own). No one hates Switzerland . . . . or Wake.

Basically. Generally peaceful & quiet. Everyone's second-favorite team/country (after their own). No one hates Switzerland . . . . or Wake.
    I hate the tie dyed shirts, does that count?

Maybe. But there will only be a dozen of those in the arena, so . . . .

Maybe. But there will only be a dozen of those in the arena, so . . . .
    I hear Wake has University students going door to door giving tickets away for the Tuesday night game. So far only 20 people took the free tickets.

GoDuke!

No one hates Switzerland . . . .
    As long as there are no descendants of the House of Habsburg posting on DBR, of course. The scars of the Battle of Morgarten run deep, and don't even start them on the Battle of Sempach.

How about the Deacon-cycle?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As long as there are no descendants of the House of Habsburg posting on DBR, of course. The scars of the Battle of Morgarten run deep, and don't even start them on the Battle of Sempach.
    I thought Woodrow Wilson fixed all of that.

I thought Woodrow Wilson fixed all of that.
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Tripping William again."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    How about the Deacon-cycle?
    Apparently even they are tiring of that now...

their once very active board is now dead as a doornail, the only threads being will he be fired and when will he be fired. Nonetheless, we could still lose tonight...

their once very active board is now dead as a doornail, the only threads being will he be fired and when will he be fired. Nonetheless, we could still lose tonight...
    I worry about everyone we play. In fact, I even thought we could lose to S.F. Austin -- at home. So ridiculous -- I really gotta get a grip.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I have absolutely, positively ZERO worry about us losing to Wake Forest tonight. Tomorrow night, though, is a different kettle of fish . . . . . .

The tie dyed shirts that the Screamin Deamons wore were a Skip Prosser thing when my daughter was an undergrad there. Dino may have continued the tie dyed shirts, I can’t remember. The few you see these days are a blast from the past (although they may still be available for sale in the bookstore).

As far as I know, the motorcycle is still around.

I have absolutely, positively ZERO worry about us losing to Wake Forest tonight. Tomorrow night, though, is a different kettle of fish . . . . . .
    d'Oh!

killerleft will be in the Jo-el tomorrow night, courtesy of a very nice friend. I hope a few of you clear the way for us from Greensboro on I-40. Leaving five-ish, it's a tough drive. Would Cherry St. be as bad an idea as I think it would? At least we'd miss 52.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!