Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

YAHOO!!! Ain't that GREAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I just did (electronically). I'm gonna be in big trouble tomorrow.
    We need details of what you did and how she reponds!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But imagine how bad it would have been if Tubby were still coaching.
    I predict that if this season goes poorly, and knowing Kentucky fans absurd standards-- that is a given, the blame will be given to Tubby. The comments will be something like: "It is not BG's fault-- he inherrited these uncoachable players from Tubby."

--Jason "Billy G's got a one-year grace period before everyone starts talking about hiring Donvan again" Evans

Trend?

Does anyone see a similar path between International basketball and the college game (at this point in time) in that some big name programs are losing to presumably lesser talent? In the case of the college game, could it be that the kids that play in the shoe leagues and end up playing at bigger programs are less team oriented than the kids that go to the smaller programs?

On a completely different note, I grew up in the same small town as Adolph Rupp. My HS basketball team 'adopted' an older gentleman in the town's nursing home. I think his name was Carl Detweiler (this was 20 y.a.). Carl was in his mid-90's at the time and, since he knew we were a basketball team, he told a story about Adolph Rupp. IRC the story was Carl had hired Adolph as a teenager to help him with haying one summer and Carl's impression of Adolph was that he was lazier than the other summer help.

Quote Originally Posted by WheatDevil View Post
    Does anyone see a similar path between International basketball and the college game (at this point in time) in that some big name programs are losing to presumably lesser talent? In the case of the college game, could it be that the kids that play in the shoe leagues and end up playing at bigger programs are less team oriented than the kids that go to the smaller programs?

On a completely different note, I grew up in the same small town as Adolph Rupp. My HS basketball team 'adopted' an older gentleman in the town's nursing home. I think his name was Carl Detweiler (this was 20 y.a.). Carl was in his mid-90's at the time and, since he knew we were a basketball team, he told a story about Adolph Rupp. IRC the story was Carl had hired Adolph as a teenager to help him with haying one summer and Carl's impression of Adolph was that he was lazier than the other summer help.
    I only saw the highlights, but that's exactly what I thought. Gardner-Webb's players were clearly not as athletic, but knew how to play the game. Kentucky seemed to just be relying on athleticism and size. But, of course, as the season goes on Kentucky will learn to play a bit and I'm sure they could beat G-W by about 30 in February.

Quote Originally Posted by kydevil View Post

Your telling me, Try wearing Duke clothes at the mall in lexington. I get harrassed constantly. Somewhere around 17 missed calls after we lost last year to vcu
    My best friend moved to Ky for about 2 years. Like us, he's a big Duke basketball fan. Neither he nor I ever had any hate for Ky, to us they were always just another good program that isn't quite as good as Duke's program. So my buddy, Jeff, moves to Ky and quickly discovers that they hate Duke, think our program is not in the same class as theirs, they think the SEC is a better basketball conference than the ACC, that the Wildcats are just better than everybody else and it's a fluke when they lose. We were ignorant to all this anti-Duke, pro-UK crap before he moved.

Needless to say his feelings and opinions about UK quickly changed and since we call each other a few times a week it wasn't long before I pretty much started hating on UK myself. He'd call me about once a week during basketball season I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in' and moanin' about the idiot UK fans.

My point? Yeah Gardner Webb!!! Whoo Hoooo

This is actually good for Duke, it'll be a good reminder not to take Central lightly tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDawg View Post
    Reading over the UK forums, it is obvious that many are quite upset and rightfully so. Shockingly, a lot of the Mods seem to be the ones telling those to stop blaming Tubs...who is the obvious target by most fans

Well, if BG didn't know what he was getting himself into, he sure will starting tommorrow
    Another instant "God" falls. El Deano was hung in effigy (a small town outside of Siler City) and K was under fire. These current coronations before a game is played are silly. See: Calipari, Self, etc. Let's coronate them after they win.

Did Patrick Patterson play center in this loss?

Elvis14 - I agree with you. Uk hate Duke. No one is suppose to beat them because "They are Kentucky". Every year they are suppose to win the NCAA.
    They are the most obnoxious fans I have ever come across.

When ever one of their fans tell me that they have the most wins in NCAA history (basketball), I quickly remind them they also have been put on probation more then any other school. I guess cheating is OK as long as you win in their eyes.

JMO...

who??

You mean that same fella that turned down Duke, solidifying the Blue Devils as a program on the downturn that can't win any recruiting battles? The same Patrick Patterson that is going to make KY and instant contender?

No, you must mean someone else. Any team with Patrick Patterson would have destroyed a lesser opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Did Patrick Patterson play center in this loss?
    (NOT KNOCKING PATRICK, JUST HAVING FUN AT THE EXPENSE OF THE "OVERREACTION TO LOSING A RECRUIT" CROWD)

Haha. I like SMO - I like the post a lot.

Patterson not only played, he was one of their top players, putting up 12 and 12.

12 and 12 against Gardner-Webb, by the way, is far less impressive than the 18 and 6 Zoubek put up against Columbia last year.

I don't like the T-shirt. Sure, it's funny they lost, but we shouldn't care that much. Gives them too much credit, which they haven't earned recently. I'll wait for the 0-for-30 shirt coming in a few months.

agree

I agree with Lulu. The Duke thing with Kentucky fans was always like the early version of the Maryland "rivalry." One side irrationally hating the other because of some tough losses for them and taking it so far that all of a sudden it supposedly became a rivalry. Ironically, both Kentucky and Maryland have had times when they got back at Duke on the court ('98 was truly devastating, Maryland has been able to get some upset wins out of us in the last few years), yet their fans still can't get over it. I think the Kentucky loss is hilarious but it hasn't really been a great program in a while anyway.

true

In all seriousness, the implication is that recruits don't necessarily translate into team success. Both points below are valid and help illustrate that at the end of the day Duke's (or anyone else's) success on the season will be determined by a lot more than a single recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Patterson not only played, he was one of their top players, putting up 12 and 12.

12 and 12 against Gardner-Webb, by the way, is far less impressive than the 18 and 6 Zoubek put up against Columbia last year.