Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 88, Va Tech 64 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

That went well.

Good bounce back from that horrible loss on Wednesday. Nice team effort. Defense looked a lot better.

Pleasing win.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Good win.. We were outscored in 2nf half.

Simply great first half. Not so much in the second half, but I guess we were coasting. Nice end of game play by JRob..

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I expect to see the 4 around 1 starting lineup the rest of the way. I think K wants this to be the go-to group.

I also loved Hurt’s effort today. I think the new starting lineup might benefit him... K can find the right matchup for him to exploit, rather than having him have to adjust to whom ever the opponent is starting.

Jack getting only one minute of PT (approximately) is curious. I think this team will need his toughness and grit at some point down the stretch.

Stanley had a big game along with a lot of defensive energy. AOC was aggressive, Hurt was also aggressive and pretty effective. That's 3 guys who had little impact on Wednesday and their combined contribution had to come to at least 35 points along with rebounds, blocks and defensive energy. I didn't check the stats but Stanley was over 20 and AOC got at least 4 and Hurt hit quite often.

These guys have got to show up for us and when they dow, it looks like Duke can go ttoe to toe with anyone.

Why do I think we're on thin ice?
    Just uneasy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It was a really nice win tonight, but we shouldn't get to worked up over it, as VaTech was a really good match-up for us, especially Hurt.

That was much better.
    However Duke was complacent in the second half and lost in points 39-37.
    Nitpicking because Duke needs a lot of work to go for for the rest of the season.
    Hurt, Stanley and Goldwire put up some points and had good floor games.
    Hurt was only 6/10 on Free Throws not good.
    O'Connell had the ball pulled from his hands again like the NC State game.
    I think Baker and White may be seeing fewer minutes because of their inconsistent play.
    This game could have been a confidence builder if both had more minutes.
    Carey and Jones remain our stars and Stanley could be if he builds on tonight's game.

After Wake, three very tough games to end the season. Important to peak at the right time. Stanley and Hurt with big games. Tre did not have a great game. He is the key to Duke making a run.

Cassius Stanley was superb:

21 points including 5-7 from 3-pt
    7 rebounds
    0 turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Why do I think we're on thin ice?
    Just uneasy.
    Same feeling here. Hope we’re wrong...

Anyone notice Bucky Waters having a nice snooze at 7:43pm? Crowd seemed pretty raucous otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    That was much better.
    However Duke was complacent in the second half and lost in points 39-37.
    Nitpicking because Duke needs a lot of work to go for for the rest of the season.
    Hurt, Stanley and Goldwire put up some points and had good floor games.
    Hurt was only 6/10 on Free Throws not good.
    O'Connell had the ball pulled from his hands again like the NC State game.
    I think Baker and White may be seeing fewer minutes because of their inconsistent play.
    This game could have been a confidence builder if both had more minutes.
    Carey and Jones remain our stars and Stanley could be if he builds on tonight's game.
    wasn't k looser with the lineup after we got u 30+? i wouldn't read too much into it.

If you haven't watched K's presser yet, I recommend it. I particularly enjoyed his comments beginning around 9:40 mark regarding how they engaged the team after the loss to State. It seems even clearer to me now that Coach K saw the loss was inevitable and leveraged the heck out of it for the benefit of the team going forward.

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    After Wake, three very tough games to end the season. Important to peak at the right time. Stanley and Hurt with big games. Tre did not have a great game. He is the key to Duke making a run.
    I only count two tough games, plus the ACC's last place team, at home.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Anyone notice Bucky Waters having a nice snooze at 7:43pm? Crowd seemed pretty raucous otherwise...
    Nice catch. I am glad he is coming to games. He was at Duke so long ago, he was my PE coach for boxing and gymnastics sometime in the last millennium.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Bucky has earned a rest.