Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handshake-gate

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think it's a case of multiple small things that give a story like this legs.

1. It's Duke and K.
    2. He has a mild history of this happening so now people look for it every loss.
    3. He does seem to be a little more chatty Cathy in a win, which compounds point 2 if someone is already looking for something to harp on.
    4. There are instances of K berating opposing players in the way they celebrate after beating Duke, which comes off as sour apples and I think people that are trying to K-bash file that in the sore loser file with the handshakes.

I will say, I watched it a ton of times, and I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. Yeah, he didn't stop to have tea with Keatts, but so what. What I did find interesting was that he did totally blow off the handshake with the guy in line right behind Keatts. I haven't heard anybody really discussing that. If you combine the two
    maybe you have something. But still, so what.
    Short of your fourth bullet point, which is a bit unfortunate, the rest is something something molehills.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think it's a case of multiple small things that give a story like this legs.

1. It's Duke and K.
    2. He has a mild history of this happening so now people look for it every loss.
    3. He does seem to be a little more chatty Cathy in a win, which compounds point 2 if someone is already looking for something to harp on.
    4. There are instances of K berating opposing players in the way they celebrate after beating Duke, which comes off as sour apples and I think people that are trying to K-bash file that in the sore loser file with the handshakes.

I will say, I watched it a ton of times, and I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. Yeah, he didn't stop to have tea with Keatts, but so what. What I did find interesting was that he did totally blow off the handshake with the guy in line right behind Keatts. I haven't heard anybody really discussing that. If you combine the two
    maybe you have something. But still, so what.
    With respect to 4, I assume you are referring to Coach K calmly telling the player from Oregon that he was better than that after the player showboated at the end of the game. When asked what he said to the player later, K declined to say, preferring to keep it private. The player said what K had said and that he had no problem with K saying it. If that is the incident, I would say the description in 4 is a gross mischaracterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    With respect to 4, I assume you are referring to Coach K calmly telling the player from Oregon that he was better than that after the player showboated at the end of the game. When asked what he said to the player later, K declined to say, preferring to keep it private. The player said what K had said and that he had no problem with K saying it. If that is the incident, I would say the description in 4 is a gross mischaracterization.
    Also, it was an "oops" moment -- never before and never since. If you are the most famous basketball coach in the world, it's not hard to stumble into an embarrassing story line.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Bill Belichick thinks this furor, including this thread, is highly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Bill Belichick thinks this furor, including this thread, is highly amusing.
    I'd be interested in seeing Bill Bellichick's highly amused expression, or any expression. Is there any visual proof that he's ever smiled or laughed?

I'd be interested in seeing Bill Bellichick's highly amused expression, or any expression. Is there any visual proof that he's ever smiled or laughed?
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...-after-a-loss/
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

belichick emperor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I can't spork you, but as a Pats fan, even I laughed.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Listen up folks, Pack fans know the world is out to get us and everyone disrespects us. The refs hate us, the media hates us. there are conspiracies within conspiracies that conspire to keep us down.

...if we can't get worked up over this (and no Pack fan that I know gives a flip)...then there is nothing to get worked up over. I'm sorry y'all have had a page hit three pages over nothing.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No, no. Seth on the sidelines is a *welcome* sight. It means our team is gonna win (Sean Dockery waves hi). It's when Greenberg has a microphone in front of him that I get frightened . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    No, no. Seth on the sidelines is a *welcome* sight. It means our team is gonna win (Sean Dockery waves hi). It's when Greenberg has a microphone in front of him that I get frightened . . . .
    Above comments also good points.

Above comments also good points.
    So, I won this five minutes?

K was pissed....it was about things beyond this game.

i bet none of the duke players got friendly handshakes afterwards either...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Fester.jpg

So, I won this five minutes?
    Andy Warhol, the internet and I will give you 15 minutes...

Didn't he do it to a Va Tech player too one year? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Andy Warhol, the internet and I will give you 15 minutes...

I'd rather have three five-minute segments, like Seth taught me (over and over and over and over and over).

I'd rather have three five-minute segments, like Seth taught me (over and over and over and over and over).
    At one point near the end of the game...

Seth: Ok, we're almost into the last five minute segment"

Me: (Looks at game clock that reads 4:12 left) 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Listen up folks, Pack fans know the world is out to get us and everyone disrespects us. The refs hate us, the media hates us. there are conspiracies within conspiracies that conspire to keep us down.

...if we can't get worked up over this (and no Pack fan that I know gives a flip)...then there is nothing to get worked up over. I'm sorry y'all have had a page hit three pages over nothing.
    Wait...are you being serious about all this??