Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handshake-gate

Uh, it is Kevin "Keatts,"not John "Keats."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

nothing becomes real until it is experienced.

Die thread. Die.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

Haters are gonna hate. These people will find any little opening they can to criticize K.
    +1. It wasn't the best look for K from that angle, but his team just got blown out and kids were court storming. Only legends are scrutinized like this. More slings and arrows, what a surprise.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Uh, it is Kevin "Keatts,"not John "Keats."
    O Captain, my Captain?

I have not re-watched the handshake line, but when I saw it, I assumed Keatts was saying something about getting Coach K and Duke off the court... I actually think it was notable that Duke DIDN'T go straight to the locker room...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Meh. K is always brisk on the way out when we lose. For whatever reason.

If that's the best someone can find to hate on him, well -- have at it.
    Yep. Pretty much everyone has already formed an opinion of Coach K anyway, be it good or bad. This lame attempt at creating a story will not sway anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yep. Pretty much everyone has already formed an opinion of Coach K anyway, be it good or bad. This lame attempt at creating a story will not sway anyone.
    I think what you say is true...but it TICKS ME OFF ANYWAY! How childish and idiotic the national fandom is, and how the media outlets shamelessly play into that rather than actually trying to set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    There's no "unwritten rule" (as MSN suggested) that any coach should schmooze with the winner in the handshake line. Or the loser. Coach K is one of the best after the game, in my opinion. But there IS an unwritten rule against running up the score. He may have been a bit miffed that NC State was still in attack mode for the last couple minutes, and he may have a point there. As we all know, Duke very rarely, with starters in the game for sure, tries to run up the score. If this is a hot take nationally, then it's just a sign of the times, I guess. Never let a chance to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. go by without I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing.
    Indeed. They should start putting that on American currency instead of e pluribus unum.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think what you say is true...but it TICKS ME OFF ANYWAY! How childish and idiotic the national fandom is, and how the media outlets shamelessly play into that rather than actually trying to set the record straight.
    Very true.

It used to bother me more than it does these days. I guess Duke and Coach K have been unjustly (mostly) disparaged for so long that I’ve become a bit numb to it. There’s only so much you can take, you know?

Ah click bait with a poll too. Sad how people can make up this stuff up with a nano-second of a clip. Anyhow, here's better reporting on what really happened by N&O if it wasn't already posted: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...240464786.html

Kinda surprised no one has yet brought up Ol Roy putting in his scrubs late in the game at FSU a few years back so that none of the good players would get injured in the court storming.

Wow. Think about it. Back then FSU fans stormed the court after beating UNC!

Very true.

It used to bother me more than it does these days. I guess Duke and Coach K have been unjustly (mostly) disparaged for so long that I’ve become a bit numb to it. There’s only so much you can take, you know?
    Without being melodramatic or reading too much into it...I think in addition to being ticked off about it from a Duke standpoint, I think I really am sad that this is the kind of world my kids will grow old in...a world where the loudest ignorance is pandered to by media outlets who put views, clicks, audience above everything else. Truth matters not at all....

Very true.

For sure. K is not perfect, but I think he is generally very gracious in defeat, and that is widely recognized in the “serious” basketball community.

Without being melodramatic or reading too much into it...I think in addition to being ticked off about it from a Duke standpoint, I think I really am sad that this is the kind of world my kids will grow old in...a world where the loudest ignorance is pandered to by media outlets who put views, clicks, audience above everything else. Truth matters not at all...
    That, but also, people are only being served up different content per their predispositions, political leanings, income, education, region, credit score, race, gender, age, etc. And that's only the beginning (subdivide that into further demographics and lookalike audiences). Point is there is no common truth. It's just different shades of manipulation loosely based on a news event, political policy, sport or weird photograph designed to get everyone to click on something. The common person thinks what they are served up as news is the same as what everyone else is consuming. So I guess my point is there is no standardized truth. In this case, when I saw the handshake live, I thought to myself -- "someone will make that into a thing." Sure enough. And it was too easy. But there is no recourse for crappy journalism. Which in this case just they just posted some garbage someone threw up on twitter. I recall at a big reception last year in Maui with what seemed like a few thousand people drinking and eating when the show was over, Coach K was leaving (accompanied by a security guard), and he was swarmed by a bunch of people jumping in front of him wanting autographs. He was just trying to get to the next meeting / secure area where the hired security was guiding him quickly off to the hotel and he politely had to wave off signing autographs. He was super polite, but people seemed disappointed and a little pushy. Imagine if he bumped into someone or moved on gruffly and someone caught it on video. I couldn't imagine what it might be like living under that level of scrutiny. It's a testament to his consistency of character. Could you imagine if they had social media when he first started out? -- or when Coach Knight was at Indiana? Certainly would have been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Indeed. They should start putting that on American currency instead of e pluribus unum.
    Ben Franklin suggested “e pluribus unum, beotch” but got voted down.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ben Franklin suggested “e pluribus unum, beotch” but got voted down.
    The first draft of the Second Amendment was quite salty.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The first draft of the Second Amendment was quite salty.
    “pry from my cold, dead fingers” would have livened it up though.

Without being melodramatic or reading too much into it...I think in addition to being ticked off about it from a Duke standpoint, I think I really am sad that this is the kind of world my kids will grow old in...a world where the loudest ignorance is pandered to by media outlets who put views, clicks, audience above everything else. Truth matters not at all...
    Yes. We live in a universe where veracity is trumped by all caps, multiple clicks, and repetition. RIP Truth.

I think it's a case of multiple small things that give a story like this legs.

1. It's Duke and K.
    2. He has a mild history of this happening so now people look for it every loss.
    3. He does seem to be a little more chatty Cathy in a win, which compounds point 2 if someone is already looking for something to harp on.
    4. There are instances of K berating opposing players in the way they celebrate after beating Duke, which comes off as sour apples and I think people that are trying to K-bash file that in the sore loser file with the handshakes.

I will say, I watched it a ton of times, and I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. Yeah, he didn't stop to have tea with Keatts, but so what. What I did find interesting was that he did totally blow off the handshake with the guy in line right behind Keatts. I haven't heard anybody really discussing that. If you combine the two
    maybe you have something. But still, so what.

*yawn*