Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Well like I said, I was relying on the eye test and not hard stats. It feels like when we get down we rely too much on Tre and Carey and our role players fall off in production. The fact that we managed to cut the deficits after falling behind doesn’t really disprove that.
    You’ve described a situation that when we face large deficits, all but two players “disappear,” forcing us to use an ineffective strategy of relying on two players. I would posit that since the hole only got deeper in one game out of ten, it suggests that either the role players don’t disappear or the resulting two-player strategy is not ineffective. Or both.

More likely we just had a really bad game against State.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Well like I said, I was relying on the eye test and not hard stats. It feels like when we get down we rely too much on Tre and Carey and our role players fall off in production. The fact that we managed to cut the deficits after falling behind doesn’t really disprove that.
    From my eye test, AOC has played significantly better when he’s with other bench players or Duke is up big. Possibly because he knows K not as likely to pull him?

Haven’t noticed the others struggling when Carey/Jones take over, but will pay more attention to that.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    From my eye test, AOC has played significantly better when he’s with other bench players or Duke is up big. Possibly because he knows K not as likely to pull him?

Haven’t noticed the others struggling when Carey/Jones take over, but will pay more attention to that.
    When Jones tries to take over, few others get to contribute. There are times when he has to assess the likelihood of him being successful on a shot or drive and if it is low, he needs to involve others. He can take people off the drive, but he is not a lights out scorer who can breakdown defenses. Few guards are. My view is that we need Cassius, Alex and Matthew all to think that they need to be more of an offensive threat.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    When Jones tries to take over, few others get to contribute. There are times when he has to assess the likelihood of him being successful on a shot or drive and if it is low, he needs to involve others. He can take people off the drive, but he is not a lights out scorer who can breakdown defenses. Few guards are. My view is that we need Cassius, Alex and Matthew all to think that they need to be more of an offensive threat.
    There ARE periods of certain games when Tre just takes over, but it lasts only a few minutes and he needs help. Aside from Vernon and the energetic but ineffective Wendell Moore, the others seemed to just stand around against State. And that's a long list of very good college hoops players.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013