Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Someone remind me of when we lost to Georgetown and NCSU and then won the championship, please.
    This seems similar to the loss against Georgetown in DC in front of Obama and Biden.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    The Carolina Comeback makes you think this is a team that is going places? We were down huge to the last place team in the ACC. A team that isn't going to make the NIT.

For a team on a 7-game win streak... we looked not that great.

Duke forced the ball into Carey a bunch (can't say I entirely blame them as he is a beast). Took way too many difficult shots (Tre did not have a good start to the game).

Jones and Carey took 38 of our 69 shots (55%) and 17 of our 22 free throws (77%). Jordan Goldwire took the 3rd most shots at 9 which was almost twice as many as anyone else. Jordan plays with a lot of heart but if he's our 3rd scoring option... we are not going very far. Stanley and Hurt need to step up their games. They've looked great at points this season.

Love this team but... it certainly wouldn't shock me if they lost early w/ the way they play. You can't come out and let teams get a 10 point lead and hope to make a big comeback.

That being said... we always seem to lose a late season game to an ACC team on the bubble. Hope we turn it around and finish the rest of the regular season strong.
    I agree that we need to find another reliable scoring option on the team. Stanley and Hurt are reasonable options, but neither were that solld tonight. It seems like the team has to work to find quality shots instead of forcing up low probability prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Link to K's post game presser? It should be a doozy
    Don’t know. That was just from the locker room interview on the radio.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Have to say though that while tonight might be somewhat of an outlier (especially with our FT shooting and some of State's overall shooting), this team looked more familiar to me.
    Very well put. This is the team that lost to SFA, needed a miracle to beat UNC, struggled against BC and GT and even their first exhibition game. Tre becomes our only ball handler, everybody else appears incapable of dribbling. Head-scratching turnovers trying to feed the post by throwing it right to a defender. Lazy defensive switches leading to mismatches, over-helping leading to uncontested offensive rebounds. It’s frustrating to watch some of the same mistakes we’ve seen all season continue to surface.

For all the talk of our “depth” it seems like every game we have multiple players who contribute nothing. Having a rotation in which we randomly substitute players in and out and hope that one of them plays well isn’t going to work. We need an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Someone remind me of when we lost to Georgetown and NCSU and then won the championship, please.
    that georgetown team was significantly better than this NCSU team. Not that I don't agree with the thesis...but the example is not particularly compelling.
    April 1

And remember - no venting or team/player/staff bashing.

Damn Roy.

Yep, this was a stinker. I’m hoping we will be able to put it down as our worst game of the season or decade.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    For a team on a 7-game win streak... we looked not that great.

Jones and Carey took 38 of our 69 shots (55%) and 17 of our 22 free throws (77%). Jordan Goldwire took the 3rd most shots at 9 which was almost twice as many as anyone else. Jordan plays with a lot of heart but if he's our 3rd scoring option... we are not going very far. Stanley and Hurt need to step up their games. They've looked great at points this season.
    There was one offensive sequence in the second half when we were in the midst of our comeback where Tre dribbled around a lot, was swarmed and had no angle to Carey, ended up driving left and throwing a skip pass to Goldwire for a three (which missed badly). This is terrible offense.

It's understandable that role players like our spot up shooters (as well as our freshmen) play better and more confidently at home, but the dynamic between defense heavy lineups, and lineups with better spacing and shooting to give Tre and Vernon some breathing room, still feels like a fraught work in progress for K.

This had to be rather eye popping for any nba scouts that were watching. Markell really abused Tre on a few possessions.

Not great.

But after a bad/borderline inexplicable february loss I'm pretty confident we'll win the Cameron game Mar 2. by 20+ and then win the natty

I'll take the flames now if I get the sporks when I'm right

9F

Nothing else needs to be said

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    9F

Nothing else needs to be said
    Well, congrats to the Pack. They earned this one.
    But, yeah, 9F applies at all times, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Interesting that Coach K saved his timeouts tonight. Usually uses them to try to lengthen games and get his players rest when making late game runs. Wonder if there is a message in that and another in pulling Tre and Vern at the end (as if to see who else would step up and play hard in the last couple minutes). There is always a method to the madness. He looked pissed tonight.
    He does this a lot because it's usually more effective coaching than using the TOs. The only time it irritated me was in the NCAA Tournament against Villanova in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Disappointing to see so many all of a sudden going off the ledge and saying this is a “first weekend team”. Really? From one game, in a place where we historically have stumbled? When you wake up tomorrow morning this will be the same team that gave us the Carolina Comeback and looked like world beaters against Notre Dame days ago. This is a solid team in a year without an incredible team in the country. All of our goals are still very achievable.
    We've been digging ourselves into a big hole to start games a lot: @VT, @GT, @Clemson, Louisville, @BC, @UNC, @NCSU. We had a lead late in the Louisville game, but it really caught up to us tonight.

The numbers on this game look a lot more like a 10 point loss typical of our usual trips over there. And I said not to let Markell Johnson shoot a halfcourt buzzer beater.

Wolfpack put a beatdown on Duke. Our playing captains are regressing. After 4 years you would think Jack and Javin would provide some leadership. Passing was so bad and State won almost every 50 50 ball. I agree that Tre keeps saying we can't come out slow and we are down 10-1 in the first 5 minutes.
    Anyways one of the worst performances by Duke for the ages.

This was the same team that beat the wheels off of Notre Dame by 30?

2 observations tonight that drove me up the wall. Lazy pass's and free throws. The carelessness with the basketball was maddening tonight. And for the love of everything that's holy, free throws man! Make your free throws!
    Last edited by Wildling; 02-20-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Is it too late to cancel tonight's game over threat of the coronavirus?? It worked for the Tokyo Marathon...

Ratfarts.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Coach K shouldn't throw anyone under the bus, but hopefully he doesn't let any of the players ride it home.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    They can run behind the bus.
    They should push the damn bus.

Next game.

The hater in me is saying it must be great to treat 1 game at home against a certain team as your championship while we have no days off

The realist in me is saying we did a bad job playing team offense. All I saw was Jones and Carey. Early on they took Carey getting the ball down low away and Duke hasn't responded well when opponents has done that. if we have to pick and roll and let Carey shoot the 3 earlier on so beat it... but in order for that to happen Stanley has to play more than Goldwire. Goldwire is pure struggle from offense and when he does get in the paint he misses layups. I don't get it. FT was very poor

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Anyone know why Jack has fallen out of the rotation the past few games? Tonight he had a couple of minutes in the first half and none in the second. Jack consistently brings rebounding, defense, maturity, and stability to the team.
    I wouldn't say that. Lately his play hasn't been what it sometimes has been, even without scoring. He still plays, but he's near the end of the 10-man rotation. The near absolute lack of scoring puts him behind DeLaurier now, as DeLaurier is bigger and quicker and has been playing better. I'd love to see White make a turnaround, though. His time in a Blue Devil uni is short. If there's a time for him to make a push, it's now.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

The loss stinks. If we had won out, we likely get a 1 seed in the NCAAs. Now? That is unlikely, and we also need help to not get stuck as a 2 seed in the ACCs. Bad night all around.
    Personally, I am hoping for a 2 seed in the East, behind SDSU. I'm rooting for the Aztecs. Would love our chances in the regionals if both teams are in the Elite 8.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.