Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prostate Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And if you get it removed, go to someone with a proven track record...it's a delicate operation. Try to avoid The Simpson's Dr. Nick Riviera ("any operation for $99.99")...my friend's went very well, still took over four hours of delicate snipping.
    Agree completely about this. The first urologist I saw was not trained in doing the laparoscopic procedure (i.e., using a robot to do the surgery, as opposed to hands and scalpel), and thankfully I had a local relative in the medical profession who knew to refer me to the best in town (someone who could do it laparoscopically). I have had no issues to date (knock on wood).

On the flip side, I have a friend in Texas who opted for an open procedure by someone who probably wasn't A-flight and he has had no end of complications.

Bottom line: Don't skimp on the physician, and due diligence is a must.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Agree completely about this. The first urologist I saw was not trained in doing the laparoscopic procedure (i.e., using a robot to do the surgery, as opposed to hands and scalpel), and thankfully I had a local relative in the medical profession who knew to refer me to the best in town (someone who could do it laparoscopically). I have had no issues to date (knock on wood).

On the flip side, I have a friend in Texas who opted for an open procedure by someone who probably wasn't A-flight and he has had no end of complications.

Bottom line: Don't skimp on the physician, due diligence is a must.
    Yep.

Do your research. If you decide on surgery you want a good and experienced surgeon. My urologist recommended to me the surgeon he also recommended to his father. I took that as a good sign. The surgery itself was RALP (Robot Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy?) and took something over 3 hours.

There are effects that absolutely will result from the surgery. I personally would call them primary effects rather than side effects. There are also side effects that might happen and can be minimized by careful choice of surgeon (and also a bit of luck). For me most of the possible side effects were avoided. I have adjusted to the primary effects. One thing I will say is that I can now sleep through the night without bathroom breaks for the most part. I couldn't do that before surgery (and no it wasn't the cancer that was the cause of that problem).

While we’re on our he topic, everyone needs to get their colon checked starting at age 50. The prep isn’t much fun, but the procedure itself is painless and done under anesthesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    While we’re on our he topic, everyone needs to get their colon checked starting at age 50. The prep isn’t much fun, but the procedure itself is painless and done under anesthesia.
    I can confirm this as being 100% accurate. I think it qualified as the longest night of my life.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I can confirm this as being 100% accurate. I think it qualified as the longest night of my life.
    I remember hurrying a lot and sitting a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I remember hurrying a lot and sitting a lot.
    Did you intentionally omit a letter from a word above?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Was it worse than the first half of this Duke game?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Was it worse than the first half of this Duke game?
    A prostate biopsy is worse. But not by much.

This is a scary and courageous thread.

I appreciate the brave folks who have been willing to share so openly on an uncomfortable topic.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I suppose you could say that there was H emitted while I was sitting.

First thanks to all those who have posted. Good information and reminders on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I had this done about 6 weeks ago. The prep is pretty sitty but I was very relieved to get an all clear (both of my parents had colon cancer operations in the last few years...any my Dad had prostrate cancer...which lead to the discovery of the colon cancer).

I LOL for real. And in the spirit of DD's post, I omitted a letter above... (and apparently I have to spread some comments around before I can comment on DD again).

Primary care physicians are great but if you have any real concerns find a good urologist.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Primary care physicians are great but if you have any real concerns find a good urologist.
    yes, but....some urologists are more apt to snip (because that's what they do) than might be prudent.

I am reminded of a New Yorker article from some years ago...some years ago South Korea began much more aggressive screening for thyroid cancer, resulting in a massive surge in thyroid removals (an order of magnitude or more, IIRC)...and yet, this had NO effect on mortality. The screening was simply identifying small cancers which would never be life threatening.

Which is why my primary care doc (and many others) are VERY cautious about PSA tests and interpretations thereof.

Here's a similar article: https://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...overdiagnosis/

Definitely get several opinions, and do your own research. I went to an Oncologist to help determine which treatment option to go with. He doesn’t perform surgery, nor does he do radiation. So he therefore was a neutral advisor, and could give me an honest appraisal of my situation, without any financial considerations for his practice.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Definitely get several opinions, and do your own research. I went to an Oncologist to help determine which treatment option to go with. He doesn’t perform surgery, nor does he do radiation. So he therefore was a neutral advisor, and could give me an honest appraisal of my situation, without any financial considerations for his practice.
    Indeed. For some period of time, prostate cancer was being over diagnosed and over treated, as most men in their seventies or older are apt to have some cancerous cells in the prostate, though many will not prove to be life threatening, and removal is not required.

I think most responsible urologists are pretty careful these days...I just had a very close friend go thru the process, and his physicians were wise enough to take quite a few PSA readings (there can be false positives) before deciding to do a biopsy...(he also has a robust family history of prostate cancer)...then they took the cancerous tissue they found (several sites) and shipped them to Johns Hopkins to be characterize (vis a vis aggressiveness). Only after all this was carefully assessed was the decision made to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Indeed. For some period of time, prostate cancer was being over diagnosed and over treated, as most men in their seventies or older are apt to have some cancerous cells in the prostate, though many will not prove to be life threatening, and removal is not required.

I think most responsible urologists are pretty careful these days...I just had a very close friend go thru the process, and his physicians were wise enough to take quite a few PSA readings (there can be false positives) before deciding to do a biopsy...(he also has a robust family history of prostate cancer)...then they took the cancerous tissue they found (several sites) and shipped them to Johns Hopkins to be characterize (vis a vis aggressiveness). Only after all this was carefully assessed was the decision made to operate.
    Prudent, especially at a more advanced age. With a PSA that doubled over a two-year period, a Gleason score of 6 (3 each side), and a family history, at 39 years old, my course of treatment was a no-brainer: Cut the effing thing out.

Hammers hit nails and surgeons cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    To a man with a balloon and a stent, everything looks like a blockage.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Until one’s dad dies from it because the cutting came too late.

To a man with a balloon and a stent, everything looks like a blockage.
    I resemble that.😂