Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prostate Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    To a man with a balloon and a stent, everything looks like a blockage.
    ha, I meant to ask you about that recent study comparing stent insertion vs leaving things alone (except for those wily statins)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ha, I meant to ask you about that recent study comparing stent insertion vs leaving things alone (except for those wily statins)...
    Lotta variables with that one. I read multiple articles about that every month.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Lotta variables with that one. I read multiple articles about that every month.
    yeah, lots of nuances there...

My Story and View

My father had prostate cancer but died of heart problems years after his surgery.

I had an elevated PSA in 2007. I was careless and had not had a physical in a couple of years. My primary care doctor gave me antibiotics and I was tested again. PSA was lower but still above 5. At the time I was in my early 60s. He sent me to a urologist who did the biopsy which showed cancer in several areas. i chose surgery and found what I thought was the best robot doctor in Southern California. Operation went fine. I was also having trouble with urination and he found and removed a non cancerous growth which helped greatly. It is now over 12 years since the operation and my PSA remains undetectable and the side effects are few and manageable.

I have friends and acquaintances whose stories are all over the map. I know one man whose PSA was 12 or something. Surgery got postponed so he cancelled and has been taking various supplements and watching and doing fine cancer wise. This has been going on for maybe 20 years. I know of another who thought he would wait 6 months and test again and then by the time he had surgery the cancer had escaped from the prostate and he then needed radiation and now hormones.

My advice would be to have regular PSA tests and if it spikes don't panic but also don't wait. Find the best docs in your area. I think there also advances in detecting the cancer location and growth rate which can suggest when active surveillance is an appropriate option.

It is not exactly gallows humor but close. In considering treatment options your age and health are important. The idea is to find a treatment such that you will probably die of something else.

SoCal