Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Duke - Maryland was one of the best rivalries in the country for a while there. I miss the rivalry a little bit, it was a good bit of fun. Don't miss their fans though, worst sports fans in the country in any sport at any level.
    F--- Maryland

Before they snubbed ACC history/legacy and bolted for football money, I just didn't like them. Now, it's different. My level of schadenfreude for Maryland is different than for Carolina. I still revel in Carolina's misery, and yes, they did cheat. But I hated Carolina before the scandal, so cheating was only added on top of an already mountain of hatred. But I have a level of disgust for Maryland that is unique. Screw them, and the money-plated horse they rode off on.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

This thread is probably why we played uncharacteristically bad and lost last night. Thread should be locked and never used again.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    This thread is probably why we played uncharacteristically bad and lost last night. Thread should be locked and never used again.
    Insert Morgan Freeman "he's right you know" pic...

As a long suffering NC State fan, I can assure you that taking pleasure in the misery of your opponents in no way influences game outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    As a long suffering NC State fan, I can assure you that taking pleasure in the misery of your opponents in no way influences game outcomes.
    Is that why you are hanging out here on DBR today!!!! Only joking. I am sure that you like all of us are wondering why last night's Pack team does not show up when they are playing unc.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Is that why you are hanging out here on DBR today!!!! Only joking. I am sure that you like all of us are wondering why last night's Pack team does not show up when they are playing unc.
    I know why...it's to keep NC State fans humble and keep our hate alive for UNC. It's all part of the plan.

We have lost five of the last seven in Raleigh. Uncharacteristic would have been a win.

If there is a reason to shut down the thread, it's that Roy has the #3 recruiting class in the country next year and Cole's stock has dropped far enough that he may come back. I don't see any problem with this thread in this time and place, but it may not age well come next winter.

But -- carpe diem.

I know why...it's to keep NC State fans humble and keep our hate alive for UNC. It's all part of the plan.
    You need a new plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

...you mean why last night's Pack team does not show up for ANYONE BUT DUKE....almost every year...I'll guarantee you that the PNC arena will be dead and the Pack will miss 3's and not outhustle FSU....guarandamtee...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    You need a new plan.
    I have thought to myself many times that I need to reevaluate my life...but I'm not sure what I would do if I ever cheered for a winner!

I have thought to myself many times that I need to reevaluate my life...but I'm not sure what I would do if I ever cheered for a winner!
    NC State's associated ice hockey program makes the conference finals now and then. They even won a Stanley Cup! The anti-cyclones, what are they called, you know.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    NC State's associated ice hockey program makes the conference finals now and then. They even won a Stanley Cup! The anti-cyclones, what are they called, you know.
    ...and heading to Carter Finley for a February date next year to boot...(and in case anyone has any doubt, the associated hockey program runs the arena....)

OK, this is a bit off topic, but let me ask you this, PackMan: How can your arena POSSIBLY allow those hideous, unc blue "UNC Rex" healthcare signs? Seriously? Just the color is an affront to nature, and having those three icky letters starting out at your from everywhere (the baskets, scorers table, etc) is patently inexcusable. Ack!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    OK, this is a bit off topic, but let me ask you this, PackMan: How can your arena POSSIBLY allow those hideous, unc blue "UNC Rex" healthcare signs? Seriously? Just the color is an affront to nature, and having those three icky letters starting out at your from everywhere (the baskets, scorers table, etc) is patently inexcusable. Ack!
    We had the same reaction/comment on Wednesday. Couldn't they at least contact and be sponsored by Duke Raleigh?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    We had the same reaction/comment on Wednesday. Couldn't they at least contact and be sponsored by Duke Raleigh?
    Simple answer:

Longer reply:

Rex, part of "u"nc Healthcare for the last decade or more, has been a big sponsor of the Hurricanes for quite a number of years and have had a luxury box/hospitality suite at the 200 level for a long time, too. Their preferred orthopaedic group, Raleigh Orthopaedics (sorry, billy ), has been team physicians for the 'Canes and the Wolfpack for a similar duration, hence the Rex name/logos plastered all over the PNC/RBC Center. The designated hospital colors used to be purple and white and I'm not sure when that changed but, I agree, the current blue is hideous. Rexie, their hospital "mascot" also used to be purple and white:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjCwTQEAmgI/?hl=en
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

^ money, of course. Having said that, let's suppose that the personable James Scott Farrin decided to change the name of his law offices to Tarheel Law Group, do you think Duke would put THAT up in big letters? Have we ANY sense of decency?????
    Are there are least one or two things that can't be bought?

^ money, of course. Having said that, let's suppose that the personable James Scott Farrin decided to change the name of his law offices to Tarheel Law Group, do you think Duke would put THAT up in big letters? Have we ANY sense of decency?????
    I think State really regrets not upgrading Reynolds decades ago. They wanted a new palace to one-up the Cheats, but didn’t have enough financial backing. So they “partnered” with the pro lacrosse team with skates on ice and now can’t control the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I think State really regrets not upgrading Reynolds decades ago. They wanted a new palace to one-up the Cheats, but didn’t have enough financial backing. So they “partnered” with the pro lacrosse team with skates on ice and now can’t control the arena.
    Upgrading would mean building a new arena from scratch, as I understand it. When State built Reynolds in the 1940's, it was basically to be the size of Duke Indoor Stadium -- seating 9,000 or so and about the same dimensions. Everett Case, after construction had begun, decided he wanted a much bigger venue and convinced the State powers-that-be. -- So they lengthened it to add 4,000 or so more seats, creating an unbalanced design with too many seats in either end.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I can't be bought but I can be rented for a pint or two of fine ale...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can't be bought but I can be rented for a pint or two of fine ale...

But after two pints, the process of returning the deposit begins.