Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke v Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You're gonna get a PM about that diet...
    This photo is over a year old!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Real Kansas City burnt ends are incredible. I’ve eaten them several times at Joes Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joes). In fact, here’s a photo... they’re served as chunks off the end of the brisket. Oh my god, my mouth is watering...

Attachment 10297
    Fellow church member Jack Diemer, rest his soul, was the king of burnt ends.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Vinegar > Ketchup. It’s a fact.
    Most of the time you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Most of the time you are correct.
    I need you to talk to Mrs.PK then, and convince her.

Not on this topic, of course. Just in general life.

This photo is over a year old!
    You're cleared then.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Anyone ever visited and/or eaten food from here?

http://theredneckbbqlab.com/
    Just received excellent recommendations from one of the hospital nurses about their food based her personal tastings and those of her family and friends.

Glad this came back up. I was recently back in NC and looking for bbq in Chapel Hill. Since Allen & Son closed, what’s the best option? The Pig? Or drive over to the original q shack in Durham?

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Glad this came back up. I was recently back in NC and looking for bbq in Chapel Hill. Since Allen & Son closed, what’s the best option? The Pig? Or drive over to the original q shack in Durham?
    If you’re willing to drive to Durham, go to Backyard BBQ #1 on 55 just a mile or so south of I-40. It’s the best in Durham. By far.

(devildeac: I haven’t been in 2+ years )

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Love The Pig. In Durham, Picnic is great, whole hog over wood. The Pit despite being somewhat more polished has great 'cue, brisket, smoked wings and sides. Bonus is that since parking in that area is tough they have valet parking. DD mentioned Backyard BBQ - I like them well enough but it's been a couple of years for me, too, and is quite down-scale. Meat is featured but sides and ambiance are lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Love The Pig. In Durham, Picnic is great, whole hog over wood. The Pit despite being somewhat more polished has great 'cue, brisket, smoked wings and sides. Bonus is that since parking in that area is tough they have valet parking. DD mentioned Backyard BBQ - I like them well enough but it's been a couple of years for me, too, and is quite down-scale. Meat is featured but sides and ambiance are lacking.
    The biggest virtue of The Pit is that it is right next door to Fullsteam, which makes great beer. Ymm, Beer!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

If you’re willing to drive to Durham, go to Backyard BBQ #1 on 55 just a mile or so south of I-40. It’s the best in Durham. By far.

Is it still a buffet with the optional ordering menu? I haven't been there since the late 1990's as I recall.

Durham BBQ

Been monitoring this closely. Headed down to Durham in April for a weekend on campus with my 12 year old son, and he is exited for some good bbq. Was always a Bullock's guy while at Duke, but are other places better? The Pit? Picnic? Not sure I can go anywhere but Bullock's but also would love to try a new place...

LOL.

I second Dr. R's suggestion here. Really good Q and really good sides in generous quantities at reasonable $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The biggest virtue of The Pit is that it is right next door to Fullsteam, which makes great beer. Ymm, Beer!
    I endorse this post and plug for that wonderful thread on the OTB.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    Been monitoring this closely. Headed down to Durham in April for a weekend on campus with my 12 year old son, and he is exited for some good bbq. Was always a Bullock's guy while at Duke, but are other places better? The Pit? Picnic? Not sure I can go anywhere but Bullock's but also would love to try a new place...
    Bullocks belongs in the “emergency barbecue” category. As in, only go if that’s your only choice due to time/logistical reasons. Yes, it’s nostalgic for those of us who went while we were in school. But it really isn’t very good. Certainly not when compared to the likes of Backyard BBQ or even Qshack.

We've heard great things about Picnic and have driven by there a couple times on our way to and from a party at friend's house in the area. Their hosting was wonderful and the spread at their house was amazing so we didn't even consider stopping at the restaurant for a snack and/or dessert.

Bullocks belongs in the “emergency barbecue” category. As in, only go if that’s your only choice due to time/logistical reasons. Yes, it’s nostalgic for those of us who went while we were in school. But it really isn’t very good. Certainly not when compared to the likes of Backyard BBQ or even Qshack.
    Agree to disagree. As a non Carolina native, Bullock’s was my first Carolina bbq and my favorite.

Will certainly endorse the bbq place on 55.
    Enjoy the Pit.
    Second to Bullocks was Knightdale bbq, which is now many years closed.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For something very close to I-95, Ralph's BBQ (signs all over the interstate) in Roanoke Rapids is very convenient...very decent Q, buffet style, so it's quick for those who travel...epic people watching there, too...
    While you’re in that charming hamlet you may as well tour beautiful nearby Weldon as well. It’s the Rock Fish capital of the world you know

9B4A499F-AF2A-4D73-8D15-9F60BD93A638.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When I smoke a brisket, the burnt ends are always the crowd favorite.
    When I smoke a brisket, the ends don't make it as far as the crowd.

Anyone ever visited and/or eaten food from here?

http://theredneckbbqlab.com/
    Lunch and dinner Saturday:

Lunch(shared platter)-pulled pork platter, double mac n cheese, cornbread was very tasty with moist smoky pork and a few burnt ends, mac n cheese almost as good as Mrs. dd's with a thick, crusty browned cheese cap and cornbread a bit on the dry side but still very good.

Dinner-sliced brisket, pulled chicken, green beans, more mac n cheese and 'nana pudding. Brisket was moist, smoky and almost melt in your mouth. Green beans with a few slivers of country ham and just salty enough to be really good. Mac n cheese-see above. Mrs. dd's 'nana pudding is better-this one could've used a few more 'nana slices but it was still worth a double (well, maybe triple) serving .

I'd certainly visit their brick and mortar joint some time at exit 319 on I-40.