Thread: XFL

XFL

Has anyone been following? Very entertaining, IMO. I'm hoping it lasts longer than the AAF.

Was going to check it out. I quit watching NFL 3 years ago.

I've watched a little bit of a game or two. Mostly out of curiosity about the different rules. Aside from the apathy because I don't know or care about the teams it was decent and interesting. Unlike LHL, I still watch lots of NFL, play fantasy football, etc.. It's popularity is sky high and I think it's smart of this version of the XFL to complement and not compete with the NFL.

I went to the first game in DC and the atmosphere was awesome. Everyone was really into the game and Audi Field is fantastic venue.

Now, outside of PJ Walker (Roughnecks), Cardale Jones (Defenders) and Joran Tam'au (BattleHawks) the league has a QB issue. Every other QB is showing why they aren't in the NFL. The game was marketed as a lot of scoring and I think in 8 games, the over has only been hit 3 times. Vince McMahon should have done whatever he needed to grab Tebow and Manziel. Would they be better than Matt McGloin and Landry Jones? Not sure, but they would have been must see games.

Also, they need to try and put all the games in smaller venues. 17k in a 20k seat venue looks great, 17k in a 50k MLB or NFL stadium looks terrible. Perception is a key to lasting for something this new.

How long it lasts, who knows. But it has been fun the first 2 weeks and I think the NFL will adopt some of these changes in the future. My guess would be some version of the kickoff and in came interviews to an extent. Afterall, the first XFL gave us the SKYCAM which NFL has ran with.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    I went to the first game in DC and the atmosphere was awesome. Everyone was really into the game and Audi Field is fantastic venue.

Now, outside of PJ Walker (Roughnecks), Cardale Jones (Defenders) and Joran Tam'au (BattleHawks) the league has a QB issue. Every other QB is showing why they aren't in the NFL. The game was marketed as a lot of scoring and I think in 8 games, the over has only been hit 3 times. Vince McMahon should have done whatever he needed to grab Tebow and Manziel. Would they be better than Matt McGloin and Landry Jones? Not sure, but they would have been must see games.

Also, they need to try and put all the games in smaller venues. 17k in a 20k seat venue looks great, 17k in a 50k MLB or NFL stadium looks terrible. Perception is a key to lasting for something this new.

How long it lasts, who knows. But it has been fun the first 2 weeks and I think the NFL will adopt some of these changes in the future. My guess would be some version of the kickoff and in came interviews to an extent. Afterall, the first XFL gave us the SKYCAM which NFL has ran with.
    This is what I've noticed too. The game is fun and the changes have been great. Qb play though... Rough is under reporting the issue.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    This is what I've noticed too. The game is fun and the changes have been great. Qb play though... Rough is under reporting the issue.
    Yes, but Walker has been an eye-opener. I can think of a few NFL teams who could've used him this past season.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I haven’t watched a game, but some of the rules I’ve heard, like no fair catches, bother me. Given what we know about concussions, the rate of injuries on returns, and why the NFL changed to limit returns, doesn’t that seem like a gladiator form of entertainment without any concern for the safety of the participants?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I haven’t watched a game, but some of the rules I’ve heard, like no fair catches, bother me. Given what we know about concussions, the rate of injuries on returns, and why the NFL changed to limit returns, doesn’t that seem like a gladiator form of entertainment without any concern for the safety of the participants?
    There are changes in regards to kickoffs and punts but there is no rule against the fair catch.
    Here's an article: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/07/xfl-rules-full-list

Here's the XFL page on rule differences for punts: https://www.xfl.com/rules#77520799111a775b74d73a98

I think the XFL is trying to make kick offs and punts safer. The no fair catch rule was part of the OLD XFL league that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've watched a little bit of a game or two. Mostly out of curiosity about the different rules. Aside from the apathy because I don't know or care about the teams it was decent and interesting. Unlike LHL, I still watch lots of NFL, play fantasy football, etc.. It's popularity is sky high and I think it's smart of this version of the XFL to complement and not compete with the NFL.
    Funny thing is, I still play fantasy football. I have won both of my leagues the last two years based on stats and highlights/hearsay alone. Not sure if that's a nod to stats, or a condemnation of my ability to know what I'm seeing on the field. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Funny thing is, I still play fantasy football. I have won both of my leagues the last two years based on stats and highlights/hearsay alone. Not sure if that's a nod to stats, or a condemnation of my ability to know what I'm seeing on the field. 😁
    I need better hearsay apparently...that is actually pretty funny. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Well, there are no fair catches because...

On a kickoff, there is no 30 yard sprint into a collision. The returning teams lines up at the 30, the kicking team at the 35. The kicker is WAY back as normal. Once the play starts the only two players allowed to move are the kicker and returner until the ball is caught or on the ground for 3 seconds. There will be far fewer high speed collisions.

On punts, the no player on the punting team is not allowed to release downfield until after the punt is kicked.

Johnny Manziel tweeted to the XFL Commish to send him a contract then deleted his account. So take from that what you will...

i am digging it...love the kickoff and point(s) after...

qb play will improve...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Attendance has increased week-to-week. No ratings news for week 3 yet. Week 2 tv ratings were down over 30% vs. Week 1. Somewhat expected. Week 1 did have relatively strong ratings though.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/x...week-3-ratings

The XFL posted overall attendance of 81,942 for its four-game weekend slate in Week 3, with an average of just over 20,000 fans per game. Attendance has increased each week since the XFL’s debut on Feb. 6 and was up considerably compared to Week 1, which drew a total of 69,818 fans.

A Sunday afternoon matchup between the New York Guardians and the St. Louis BattleHawks in St. Louis drew the largest announced XFL crowd to date, with 29,554 fans in attendance. However, Week 3 also featured the XFL’s least-attended game of the season, as the matchup between the DC Defenders and the Los Angeles Wildcats in LA drew just 12,211 fans.

Week 3 Ratings:

https://sports.yahoo.com/xfl-viewers...165801034.html

Fox, Dallas at Seattle: 2.05 million

ABC, Houston at Tampa Bay: 1.91 million

ESPN, New York at St. Louis: 1.47 million

FS1, D.C. at L.A.: 1.0 million
    and more context:

The week before (via ShowBuzzDaily.com), the Fox game had 2.32 million, ABC drew 2.4 million on Sunday and 2.15 million on Saturday and FS1 had 1.36 million. The XFL doesn’t want a drop across the board, but this isn’t the disaster of the first XFL in 2001, when early ratings were great and quickly became microscopic.

Last week, only one college basketball game did more than 1.44 million viewers, and that was Kansas-Baylor, a battle of top-five teams that drew 1.88 million. A 76ers-Bucks NBA primetime game on Saturday got 1.7 million viewers for ABC.
    edit: this is where the ratings data is coming from: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...2-23-2020.html
    Last edited by J4Kop99; 02-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.

XFL, se fue.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    XFL, se fue.
    I think the Steelers signed every XFL player.

Well, 5 of them.

Did not have "pandemic" as the cause of death in the pool, but did take the under on 2.5 years for "XFL 2.0 Lifespan."
    Am not sad to see a Vince McMahon endeavor fail under any circumstances.

Why did they give up so quickly. The WWE is an essential business in Florida. I'm sure the XFL could get a waiver there.