Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Get ready for good,tough State team versus the soft,sloppy one. That's the one we always get. Duke better bring it Wed. nite.

I'm hoping Matthew Hurt continues to come on strong. 9 rebounds and 12 points in 27 min against ND and he referred to his big rebound against Louisville as giving him more confidence to battle inside. Tough defense and tough rebounding earns him more playing time and gives us a potent inside/outside offensive weapon when he's on his game - he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of opposing teams.

For the most part, we know what we're getting each game from Tre, Vernon, Cassius, JGold, Jack, Javin and I would even argue Wendell. Hurt and AOC seem to be the biggest wildcards in terms of contribution.

I think this team will start peaking and be primed for a run at some championships if Matthew Hurt starts contributing at his potential for 25 min a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I'm hoping Matthew Hurt continues to come on strong. 9 rebounds and 12 points in 27 min against ND and he referred to his big rebound against Louisville as giving him more confidence to battle inside. Tough defense and tough rebounding earns him more playing time and gives us a potent inside/outside offensive weapon when he's on his game - he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of opposing teams.

For the most part, we know what we're getting each game from Tre, Vernon, Cassius, JGold, Jack, Javin and I would even argue Wendell. Hurt and AOC seem to be the biggest wildcards in terms of contribution.

I think this team will start peaking and be primed for a run at some championships if Matthew Hurt starts contributing at his potential for 25 min a game.
    spot on on hurt. There is plenty to complain about for freshman-loaded teams...but one thing I love is seeing these guys make huge improvements having been thrown into the fire.
    April 1

State player breakdown

The Wolfpack have been pretty disappointing this season, and it is largely because Markell Johnson hasn't been nearly as good as he was last year.

Bigs: Manny Bates is the primary starting center. Bates is a prolific shotblocker... and a prolific fouler. On offense, he's an okay offensive rebounder and pretty much only shoots layups and dunks. He's long and athletic but low on skill. DJ Funderburk is a different animal. Funderburk isn't as athletic as Bates, but he's fairly athletic and long and lean. Where he really separates himself from Bates, though, is that he can shoot. Funderburk is quite capable from 15-18 feet, and willing to shoot it from 3 as well. It's not a strength, but he's capable from there. Funderburk is also quite solid at the FT line. He has been a bit disappointing as a sophomore after showing promise as a freshman. The two bigs have started together a handful of times this year (including against BC).

Forwards: If Funderburk doesn't start, it'll almost certainly be Jericole Hellems that starts at forward. Hellems does a little of everything, but what makes him so valuable to State is that he can defend all five spots without embarrassing himself. He's fairly quick and agile for his 6'7" frame. Keatts trusts Hellems with the ball to the point that Hellems was the FT line guy against Cuse's zone. He's a solid role player who hits his FTs, can hit some 3s, but doesn't overextend himself outside of his range. If needed, Pat Andree (grad transfer from Lehigh) plays some as well. Andree is a floor spacer and not much more. He's a very capable 3pt shooter, with virtually no ability to create his own shot. Andree has played VERY sparingly in recent weeks though.

Wings: State plays pretty much just two guys here: Bryce and Daniels. Bryce is another of the Pack's uber-versatile guys, capable of defending four positions. He's fairly athletic, and is a very good shooter, and a terrific rebounder for his size. Similarly, Devon Daniels can be a handful. Daniels is not super quick, but he can really jump. He's also quite strong physically. He's a good shooter from all over the court, but his kryptonite is his overconfidence. He's a bit too willing to go YOLO and make the heroball play. Still, when he is on, he is a real menace.

Guards: As mentioned above, Markell Johnson is a crucial piece to this team. He has NBA talent. A terrific ballhandler, and a guy who has historically shown the ability to score from all 3 levels. Super quick, good enough in the air, and a terrific passer, he was a fringe NBA prospect last year who decided to return. Unfortunately, his shooting has taken a huge step back this year after shooting over 40% from 3 the previous two years. His inability to make the jump has kept State struggling to stay on the bubble. But he's an incredibly dangerous playmaker and perhaps the biggest concern for us. The other guard is Braxton Beverly. Beverly is a terrific shooter, but can be deceptively effective off the dribble. He's very strong, so if he gets his shoulders by you he is unlikely to lose position. But he's not a good leaper, so he can be had at the rim. Still, he's a capable ballhandler and passer and can get the defense out of position.

Keatts shuffles his starting lineup a fair amount. Funderburk has not started much, but certainly acts as a starter. And Keatts will rotate through his four guard/wings liberally, with Beverly/Bryce/Daniels each taking turns as a starter. Only Johnson and Bates have been regular staters, but Bates plays only about half the game due to foul trouble.

It's not a deep team, and because of that Keatts can't press like he liked to do at UNC-W. But they do like to run off of offensive rebounds, and they LOVE to run off of turnovers. We'll have to be disciplined, both in protecting the ball and in getting back after missed shots. Because State is going to try to score quickly before our defense gets set.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The weauxfgods are not fooled by reverse weauxfing.
    I wish. State may not win another game this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Oh, come now.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Take a look at NCSU's schedule, PackMan97 isn't kidding. They have a tough couple of weeks coming up. Duke twice, FSU, L'ville, Fighting Capels, Cheaters (who they will not show up for ). Their last game is WF, that might be the one to win!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Take a look at NCSU's schedule, PackMan97 isn't kidding. They have a tough couple of weeks coming up. Duke twice, FSU, L'ville, Fighting Capels, Cheaters (who they will not show up for ). Their last game is WF, that might be the one to win!
    Nope they will split with Duke. Book it🤬

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

LOL, you're killin' me arnie. I have have to start calling you "Smalls".

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    LOL, you're killin' me arnie. I have have to start calling you "Smalls".
    Yep, that’s my defense mechanism at work. If we miraculously sweep the Pack, I’ll be pleasantly surprised and life will be better. Lots of wolves work around me ready to bite.

I see people are mentioning the fact that State beat Cuse, but what they're not telling you is that Hughes didn't suit up for that game. JGIII had a monster game, but Buddy was a major bust for the Orangemen, as State was able to focus a lot more attention on him with the absence of Hughes. It's similar to people making a huge deal over ND's mini winning streak and how they beat Clemson at Clemson, yet they seem to forget Sims sat that game out with a case of the flu.

Could Johnson and Bryce go off on us tomorrow night? Sure they can, but the odds say they'll play their usual game and that equals a Duke win.

Yep, that’s my defense mechanism at work. If we miraculously sweep the Pack, I’ll be pleasantly surprised and life will be better. Lots of wolves work around me ready to bite.
    It's weird with the pack. When they won in Cameron a couple years ago...I was unfortunately having dinner with my daughter at a Carolina Ale House full of wolves. As they were celebrating their fantasy island once in a lifetime super bowl win, I told them to enjoy the NIT...there were of course incensed, insulted, and indignant - but as it turns out, they didn't even make the NIT that season. Coached by Mark Got-fired.

I said it before UNC and I'll say it again here. Games with asymmetric incentives scare me. This is a State team that needs a brand name win. They are 5th in the ACC at 7-7 in conference, 16-9 overall, and KP #60. Talk about bubble. Being only the 4th team this season to beat Duke breathes life into State's Tourney hopes. And this game is at home.

They need this game more than we do. In their home arena. That's not an easily quantifiable consideration.

- Chillin

what you are smoking is affecting your frontal lobe and executive functioning...

they torture us every time we play at the PNC...it's their house..(unless you're the cheats)...look for an ugggggggly game tomorrow night..

remember, i'm reporting from the past now, so we could already be down 9...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I said it before UNC and I'll say it again here. Games with asymmetric incentives scare me. This is a State team that needs a brand name win. They are 5th in the ACC at 7-7 in conference, 16-9 overall, and KP #60. Talk about bubble. Being only the 4th team this season to beat Duke breathes life into State's Tourney hopes. And this game is at home.

They need this game more than we do. In their home arena. That's not an easily quantifiable consideration.

- Chillin
    "need more than we do"? Always, but come on.

If this team wins in that place in Raleigh, it will be something a lot of our recent teams haven't been able to do.Hoping they can get it done this time. Go Duke!

Looks like we’re wearing the navy, Brotherhood uniforms tomorrow night (per dukembb instagram). I’m already feeling a little more optimistic about this game; after all, we’re 2-0 in these uniforms!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It's weird with the pack. When they won in Cameron a couple years ago...I was unfortunately having dinner with my daughter at a Carolina Ale House full of wolves. As they were celebrating their fantasy island once in a lifetime super bowl win, I told them to enjoy the NIT...there were of course incensed, insulted, and indignant - but as it turns out, they didn't even make the NIT that season. Coached by Mark Got-fired.
    You sound like the life of the party!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I usually try be cordial and congratulate the opposing team's fans in that sort of situation. I deeply regret my behavior on the couple occasions I've taken the opposite approach.

You sound like you might do better cheering on UNC. That's the sort of needless, rude behavior that UNC fans habitually inflict upon their fellow North Carolinians.