Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Ol' Roy has my vote. He's done a great job with that team.
    Roy will get votes from NC sportswriters if he turns it around and they finish at least 14th in reg season.

Did anybody mention the sideline reporter's comment about interviewing JGold and him saying he didn't have confidence in his offense last year because he was afraid of being yanked after one mistake? But this year he doesn't have fear because he knows he's going to get his minutes. I thought that was interesting to say the least.

I'm not sure the reporter captured his sentiment perfectly because I feel like he had a leeway with K given his defensive prowess last year but perhaps not. I'm sure K did tell him to not shoot much and look to get other guys involved - much like K himself in his collegiate days and what Knight told him. In any event not trying to be a Debbie downer about it, but it's a common refrain some have on here and seems like the players potentially could have the same mindset (i.e. players need more time to "play through their mistakes"). Of course, at Duke it's often "next man up." So I get both perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Roy will get votes from NC sportswriters if he turns it around and they finish at least 14th in reg season.

Over achievers ....

also wanted to point out that JGold is shooting over 50% FGs and over 40% 3FGs. Remarkable, not just improvement, but change as a player. JGold used to be the player you could just ignore on offense, he was the guy defenses were hoping would take the shot. He's starting to be a guy who needs attention defensively. He burned FSU badly, scoring far more than the margin of victory, because they decided to ignore him. In fact the difference between JGold's average and the margin of victory was 5 points. He was very much the difference between a Duke win vs loss.
    His contribution vs ND will get lost in the noise of a 34 pt win, but he stll played very well.

Roy has the greatest distance between performance and expectations. Should be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. We addressed this before and I suggested Leonard Hamilton and Mike Young as early leaders, but Virginia Tech (like many teams) has fallen into a nondescript middle. Considering that "nondescript middle" -- right now a 4-way tie for 8th -- is significantly better than the projected 14th place, Young is still an option. Here are how the teams stand today:

1. Duke (projected 1st, no change)
    15. North Carolina (2nd, -13)

...h

I think ol' roy should be voted goat.

Not G.O.A.T.

Just goat.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think ol' roy should be voted goat.

Not G.O.A.T.

Just goat.
    Well, he’s a jackass. That’s a start.

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Roy has the greatest distance between performance and expectations. Should be a winner.
    Yep. I never expected this kind of season from the Cheaters. Dreamed of it, but didn’t expect it.

My favorite UNCheat coach since Matt Doherty.

Yep. I never expected this kind of season from the Cheaters. Dreamed of it, but didn’t expect it.

My favorite UNCheat coach since Matt Doherty.
    What if Ol' Roy does such a fantastic job with Cole Anthony that he decides to come back for his So. season. The Cheaters have lost every game since he's been back. I mean, they're playing way better.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    What if Ol' Roy does such a fantastic job with Cole Anthony that he decides to come back for his So. season. The Cheaters have lost every game since he's been back. I mean, they're playing way better.
    I don't think there is any chance Anthony comes back, although cheat fans will tell you that he "needs to." He is easily a lottery pick, and probably goes top 10

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I don't think there is any chance Anthony comes back, although cheat fans will tell you that he "needs to." He is easily a lottery pick, and probably goes top 10
    I know some UNC fans who think he is not good for Roy’s system- too ball dominant. I am not sure how good a pro he will be- he is a very good player but not great at any one thing. Who is his comp in the NBA? Reminds me of Rivers but not as good a shooter from deep. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I know some UNC fans who think he is not good for Roy’s system- too ball dominant. I am not sure how good a pro he will be- he is a very good player but not great at any one thing. Who is his comp in the NBA? Reminds me of Rivers but not as good a shooter from deep. We will see.
    Greg Anthony making noise that Cole May very well come back to the Cheats, but suspect it’s just noise. Roy has recruited two more PGs for next year; doubt they’d see the humor in Cole returning.

As old Huck would be heard saying " Sha-zam" while he's telling Gomer to come back for 1more year. You and Goober can make a great team even better !

Greg Anthony making noise that Cole may very well come back to the Cheats, but suspect it’s just noise. Roy has recruited two more PGs for next year; doubt they’d see the humor in Cole returning.
    Would this be considered recruiting "under" another recruit?

Greg Anthony making noise that Cole May very well come back to the Cheats, but suspect it’s just noise. Roy has recruited two more PGs for next year; doubt they’d see the humor in Cole returning.
    Well one could argue that because Tre may not be a first rounder- he could come back. I think Anthony will be a first rounder and won’t want to risk another injury. Not easy decisions for folks who are not guaranteed first rounders.

Did anybody mention the tumblers at halftime?!
    They were incredible, too.

Tyus stuck around during the half (usually the people behind the bench go to some swell reception space) and he was standing up and clapping for the young women and the one young man.
    What a show!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRyan View Post

For people who were there, was it as loud in that stretch I describe as it seemed from watching on TV?
    Yes! That surge was one of my favorite few minutes in Cameron. Was electric.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Fun game. JGold, Hurt and AOC stepped up. AOC plays like a talented freshman. He looks super quick and springy. Last night he rebounded and defended well and even made nice passes inside to Vern and Matt. Best yet he sliced through the lane and made a variety of buckets around the hoop. Before then he had missed everything that wasn’t an open layup or dunk. His handle was still loose. I think he benefitted from ND being a sub-par on D. Hopefully this was a confidence builder for him. He can be a solid player if he gets over the yips.
    Well put, (the part I bolded). I'd go so far as to say *early* in a freshman year. The game may be slowing for AOC but it's a remarkably gentle deceleration. Do you suppose he'll have an NBA career after about 5 years in the D league?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Did anybody mention the tumblers at halftime?!
    They were incredible, too.

Tyus stuck around during the half (usually the people behind the bench go to some swell reception space) and he was standing up and clapping for the young women and the one young man.
    What a show!
    Those tumblers were outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Those tumblers were outstanding!

Red Panda says: "Hold my bowls."