Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Not even if Duke wins out and sports an 18-2 record, for example? Coach K wins it then, no?
    If FSU is second or third, I don't think so. Mind you, I think K should win it under those circumstances, but as it stands now, it looks like a good case can also be made for Hamilton and maybe Mack. There are a lot of media types who simply will look for any reason not to vote K. I heard this discussed just a few days ago on local sports radio...it was all Hamilton and Mack, no mention of K. That's the mindset these people have.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If FSU is second or third, I don't think so. Mind you, I think K should win it under those circumstances, but as it stands now, it looks like a good case can also be made for Hamilton and maybe Mack. There are a lot of media types who simply will look for any reason not to vote K. I heard this discussed just a few days ago on local sports radio...it was all Hamilton and Mack, no mention of K. That's the mindset these people have.
    I don't know that it's because of bias, necessarily, but rather than the votes generally go to teams that perform above expectations. Duke generally has incredibly high expectations, and the COY usually is a team that was expected to do poorly and exceeded those expectations.

I'm not suggesting that this is fair, but rather that it's the trend I notice. For K to win COY, Duke would either have to be ranked low preseason and excel, or possibly run the conference table undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't know that it's because of bias, necessarily, but rather than the votes generally go to teams that perform above expectations. Duke generally has incredibly high expectations, and the COY usually is a team that was expected to do poorly and exceeded those expectations.

I'm not suggesting that this is fair, but rather that it's the trend I notice. For K to win COY, Duke would either have to be ranked low preseason and excel, or possibly run the conference table undefeated.
    Well yes, that's what all COY awards are...reality versus expectations. It's that, but it's more than that. Much more than that. It's that plus another factor, maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    Quinn Cook was sitting next to Zion for at least part of the second half, but I don’t recall any mention of his presence by the announcers. Did I miss it, or did they?.
    Quinn's best move of the evening was changing places with the woman sitting between him and Zion, so he could get a little more on-camera time (and have someone to talk basketball with. That woman seemed to be on her phone the entire game).

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Given Duke’s assumed success over the years, it seems that Coach K is often overlooked for post-season coaching awards. Yet another elite performance by him and his guys vs. The Irish yesterday. Will this be a year Coach K finally again receives serious consideration as ACC COY? What he has accomplished thus far this year (along with his players and assistants) amazes me.
    I don't think the voters will give K the award considering the strong competition from eight miles down the road. Just look at what Ol' Roy has done this year with arguably the least talented and uncoachable* group of players in the history of history. I mean, well, he's almost won several games.

*It's not his fault they won't listen to him and do what he says. It's on them as is the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I don't think the voters will give K the award considering the strong competition from eight miles down the road. Just look at what Ol' Roy has done this year with arguably the least talented and uncoachable* group of players in the history of history. I mean, well, he's almost won several games.

*It's not his fault they won't listen to him and do what he says. It's on them as is the bus.

Considering that K has NEVER won AP national coach of the year; why would sportswriters give him any award this late in his career.

Highly dependent on the last 3 weeks of the season, but likely comes down to Bennett, Keats or Hamilton. Expect K to get same number of votes as Roy.

Any news on Cash's eye?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Fun game. JGold, Hurt and AOC stepped up. AOC plays like a talented freshman. He looks super quick and springy. Last night he rebounded and defended well and even made nice passes inside to Vern and Matt. Best yet he sliced through the lane and made a variety of buckets around the hoop. Before then he had missed everything that wasn’t an open layup or dunk. His handle was still loose. I think he benefitted from ND being a sub-par on D. Hopefully this was a confidence builder for him. He can be a solid player if he gets over the yips.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Considering that K has NEVER won AP national coach of the year; why would sportswriters give him any award this late in his career.

Highly dependent on the last 3 weeks of the season, but likely comes down to Bennett, Keats or Hamilton. Expect K to get same number of votes as Roy.
    So crazy. Are there any other "best in the business" level coaches that never won COY?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So crazy. Are there any other "best in the business" level coaches that never won COY?
    Well Roy Williams has only won the award twice, and Matt Doherty once. But that’s not what you’re asking is it.😡

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

If the out performing relative to pre season expectations holds to form, then if Clemson finishes with a winning record, Brownell ought to get consideration since they were picked 11th. Keats from State might be a mild over perform.

Hamilton and Bennett are about where they were expected to be.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Any news on Cash's eye?
    Would like to know that, and any chance it was anyone OTHER than Javin who poked it?

Would like to know that, and any chance it was anyone OTHER than Javin who poked it?
    I thought someone reported it was a manager.

I heard it was Moe, Larry or Curly

Last edited by Rich; 02-16-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Better video!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

No way they'll give it to K over Hamilton.
    Not even if Duke wins out and sports an 18-2 record, for example? Coach K wins it then, no?
    Coach K has five National Championships, two FIBA gold medals from the worlds and his teams have won three Olympic golds. It would take something truly extraordinary for the voters to give him an ACC coach of the year award. Makes no sense -- well, it does make sense in a way. Kinda like voting George W. Bush man of the year in McLennan County, Texas when he was re-elected President.

I think anyone other than K with a reasonable claim on the COY award will win it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If you missed them...

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    Quinn Cook was sitting next to Zion for at least part of the second half, but I don’t recall any mention of his presence by the announcers. Did I miss it, or did they?.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...82041384701952
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Yes, if Duke wins the outright regular season title, Coach K will probably receive his first ACC COY since 2000.

What helps is that no team has had that surprising a season (in a good way*) so far. Leonard Hamilton could be Coach K's toughest competition?
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. We addressed this before and I suggested Leonard Hamilton and Mike Young as early leaders, but Virginia Tech (like many teams) has fallen into a nondescript middle. Considering that "nondescript middle" -- right now a 4-way tie for 8th -- is significantly better than the projected 14th place, Young is still an option. Here are how the teams stand today:

1. Duke (projected 1st, no change)
    2. Louisville (3rd, +1)
    3. Florida State (5th, +2)
    4. Virginia (4th, --)
    5. NC State (6th, +1)
    6. Syracuse (8th, +2)
    7. Clemson (11th, +4)
    T8. Virginia Tech (14th, +6)
    T8. Boston College (13th, +5)
    T8. Georgia Tech (12th, +4)
    T8. Notre Dame (7th, -1)
    12. Pittsburgh (10th, -2)
    13. Miami (9th, -4)
    14. Wake Forest (15th, +1)
    15. North Carolina (2nd, -13)

But I no longer see an overwhelming favorite, which bodes well for Coach K. He's won this award 5 times, but not for the last 20 years. Leonard Hamilton has won twice (2009, 2012) and Tony Bennett four times (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019).

If I had to guess, Chris Mack is probably going to win. He finished 5th in the voting last year, after a Duke-induced late season collapse where he lost 4 of his last 6 regular season games. He has the Cardinals playing slightly above expectation (though that's really an issue of ACC preseason voters overestimating UNC) with an upperclassman POY favorite. The darkhorse pick is Brad Brownell, who has the Clemson solidly in the second tier with the historic win in Chapel Hill and home wins over the ACC's two best teams. If the season ended today, the outcome may look like this:

Chris Mack, Louisville
    Brad Brownell, Clemson
    Coach K, Duke
    Leonard Hamilton, Florida State
    Mike Young, Virginia Tech

I agree with it being between Coach K and Leonard Hamilton. We all know that Coach K is held to a different standard, though.

I also think Chris Mack will get some love (it’s only his 2nd year, even though they were expected to do well). Unless they completely collapse down the stretch (hey, one can hope).

And also, I think Mike Young may get some votes, despite their late season swoon (1st year, almost no talent left on the roster, and he started surprisingly strong).

But who, besides Coach K, could suffer the departures last year that we did, reload (although not with the same level of top tier talent), and compete for the ACC title again? If anything, Roy Williams’ and Tony Bennett’s results this year, suffering similar departures, have shown us how difficult it is to do. Yet Coach K does it year after year! It is truly remarkable, yet he never seems to get credit for staying competitive while having to totally remake his team every year.

ACC Coach of the Year

Ol' Roy has my vote. He's done a great job with that team.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Ol' Roy has my vote. He's done a great job with that team.
    Disagree. I'd vote for Brownell, well, just because...

(Your explanation/reasoning however makes complete sense. I'm exceptionally proud of what Huck has done this season with his "least talented" squad. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.