Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
So maybe it’s because I can’t dunk and don’t understand the nuance about what is difficult and what isn’t, but I don’t understand why Gordon’s side of backboard on-handed dunk was so transcendent?
Don't think the judges have any specific scoring criteria but imagine they'd be guided by things like level of difficulty, power, etc. Hopefully Wade, Parker, and Pippen would know what's more difficult and what's not. For me, this dunk had a lot he had to do --- catch it, catch it one handed, 360, windmill, and do most of it blind. That's a lot of moving parts. It was also a beautiful, athletic dunk and (I think) original for dunk contests. I guess the judges meant for it to be a tie again but, you know, math is hard.

This is how CBSSports described it:

On a night full of spectacular dunks, this, to me, was the one that truly blew everyone away. There is so much to this dunk. It's not the first time we've seen someone go off the side of the backboard, but to catch it from well outside the restricted area and execute not just a 360, but a full windmill 360, is incredible. Throw in the fact that he was blind most of the time he was in the air on this dunk, meaning he had to pick up the rim, lose it, then relocate it at the last second, and that's another layer of difficulty. And finally to finish it with this kind of power after all those moving parts? Nothing topped this on Saturday night.