Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke Golf 2020 -- Women and Men

The women's spring golf season is off to a flying start. The women, who are the defending NCAA champs, won the NorthropGrumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes Estates, CA. "Regional," my eye! The field featured eight of the top ten teams in women's NCAA golf. The #12 Devils dominated, winning by seven shots over #5 USC and eight over #1 Texas.

Redshirt junior Miranda Wang was T2 at -5. Senior Ana Belac was T5 and -3 and freshman Megan Furtney was T12 at even par.

The women next play March 6-8 at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate in Hilton Head.

The men begin their spring season with a match against Princeton in Fort Lauderdale this Sunday and then a two-day match in Las Vegas March 1-2.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The women's spring golf season is off to a flying start. The women, who are the defending NCAA champs, won the NorthropGrumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes Estates, CA. "Regional," my eye! The field featured eight of the top ten teams in women's NCAA golf. The #12 Devils dominated, winning by seven shots over #5 USC and eight over #1 Texas.

Redshirt junior Miranda Wang was T2 at -5. Senior Ana Belac was T5 and -3 and freshman Megan Furtney was T12 at even par.

The women next play March 6-8 at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate in Hilton Head.

The men begin their spring season with a match against Princeton in Fort Lauderdale this Sunday and then a two-day match in Las Vegas March 1-2.
    The highlighted portion was somewhat jarring to those of us who have not kept up with Hootie alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The highlighted portion was somewhat jarring to those of us who have not kept up with Hootie alumni.
    Darius Rucker is fairly well known as a golfaholic.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

The women are headed to a fourth place finish in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at Hilton Head, which includes four of the top seven ranked NCAA teams. Sixth-ranked Wake Forest is running away with the event, leading by 23 strokes.

Special mention is due to Duke freshman Erica Shepherd, who yesterday recorded an unfortunate score of 14 on a par four hole. I don't know the details, but she was only 12 over for the day -- ten over on that one hole. Today Erica rebounded today with an even par score of 71 that was best on the Duke team.

This week the men played in a two-day tournament in Las Vegas, finishing 12th out of 15 teams.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013