Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1

    The Crazy Meter for the Florida State Game

    I have been attending games in Cameron since 1990. I have stood in the undergraduate section, the graduate student section, and have sat up top for many years. I was seated just above the student section on Monday night. I have heard criticism over the years about whether the students (or the fans in general) are loud enough. Those criticisms always strike me as revisionist history of how people felt it was always better "back in the day". I will say that I thought there was as much energy and noise in Cameron in Monday as there has ever been. The students were incredible and showed their love for their school, their coach, and their team as any group of students has in the past 30 years. We definitely should appreciate this amazing team that we are incredibly fortunate to watch. We should appreciate (Happy Birthday!) having the greatest coach of all time. We should also appreciate these amazing students who camp out for games and give all of their energy for the cause.

    Forever a Crazy!

    Cascade Devil

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadedevil View Post
    I have been attending games in Cameron since 1990. I have stood in the undergraduate section, the graduate student section, and have sat up top for many years. I was seated just above the student section on Monday night. I have heard criticism over the years about whether the students (or the fans in general) are loud enough. Those criticisms always strike me as revisionist history of how people felt it was always better "back in the day". I will say that I thought there was as much energy and noise in Cameron in Monday as there has ever been. The students were incredible and showed their love for their school, their coach, and their team as any group of students has in the past 30 years. We definitely should appreciate this amazing team that we are incredibly fortunate to watch. We should appreciate (Happy Birthday!) having the greatest coach of all time. We should also appreciate these amazing students who camp out for games and give all of their energy for the cause.

    Forever a Crazy!

    Cascade Devil
    As a longtime season-ticket holder who was there Monday night, I agree that the crowd, both downstairs and upstairs, was commendably loud and enthusiastic. I can attest to the fact that I, and a number of fans seated nearby, frequently jumped up and cheered at the top of their lungs (although we would then sit back down out of consideration for those sitting behind us whose view of the action would otherwise be obstructed). Ironically -- and contrary to the popular assumption -- it appeared to be more of the older fans who were routinely rising up and yelling and high-fiving neighbors; many of the younger ones seemed to be preoccupied with reading their phones or taking selfies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Derm
    Been attending since '71.

    It was loud.

    Very loud.

    Up there with Robbie West, Gene Banks, Elton Brand, etc. loud.

    And this was a non-UNCheat game.

    Over the years, the CIS has gone from anticipating to reacting to the action. Prime example is the Crazy Towel Guy.

    It's different, but times change.

    Keep it up, crazies.

    But please stop the "you suck" - LAME!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    I didnít doubt that the crowd on Monday was into it, but the sound mixing sure made them seem quiet to the tv audience. There was something very strange about it; to the point that I actually checked my speakers.
    No soup for you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Over the years, the CIS has gone from anticipating to reacting to the action. Prime example is the Crazy Towel Guy.
    I was there, too, for the FSU game and it really was quite loud, especially when the Seminoles took the lead and for the rest of the game thereafter.

    By the way, what has happened to Crazy Towel Guy? I havenít seen him in the past 2 or 3 games Iíve attended, though I recall him making an appearance earlier in the season. Coincidentally, I was there many years ago the night Crazy Towel Guy did his thing for the very first time. I remember thinking how bizarre it was. I never would have imagined it would last as long as it did (if indeed it is over).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Derm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    By the way, what has happened to Crazy Towel Guy?
    He has seemed to fade away, but he did his thing in the FSU game. I did not here the Crazies cheer for him, I just saw him waving and the crowd reacting.

    Old school but after the crowd got noisy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    He has seemed to fade away, but he did his thing in the FSU game. I did not here the Crazies cheer for him, I just saw him waving and the crowd reacting.

    Old school but after the crowd got noisy.
    Hmm, I wonder how I missed it? I was in my seat and focused (only checking my phone to look at DBR once or twice) the entire game, other than halftime. I guess the Crazies not calling for him is probably why I didnít notice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    I didnít doubt that the crowd on Monday was into it, but the sound mixing sure made them seem quiet to the tv audience. There was something very strange about it; to the point that I actually checked my speakers.
    Everytime I attend a game at CIS, I record it and go back and watch. They always tamp down the crowd noise. It's like it's not even the same crowd on the replay.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Everytime I attend a game at CIS, I record it and go back and watch. They always tamp down the crowd noise. It's like it's not even the same crowd on the replay.
    Wasn't always this way. Go watch the 98 Wojo game on youtube, you can practically feel the crowd vibrating. It's too bad because the crowd is what makes the experience so enjoyable, and it doesn't always come across on TV, and to be honest it affects my enjoyment watching on TV.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder how I missed it? I was in my seat and focused (only checking my phone to look at DBR once or twice) the entire game, other than halftime. I guess the Crazies not calling for him is probably why I didnít notice.
    We were sitting upstairs 5 rows above the student section. The Crazies did call for Herb to wave his towel (which he did, of course) at the customary time-out in the second half; but it was a relatively small number calling and their chant was largely muted by the broader base of crowd noise at the time.

    And I've previously expressed my opinion here on this issue -- repeatedly and emphatically -- but allow me to reiterate my distaste for the embarrassingly puerile "You suck!" greeting that is now routinely directed at all visiting players. I'd prefer that this unbecoming display of mouth-breathing stupidity be put to a long overdue death; but at the very least, it should be reserved solely -- as it used to be -- for the Tarheels.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post
    Wasn't always this way. Go watch the 98 Wojo game on youtube, you can practically feel the crowd vibrating. It's too bad because the crowd is what makes the experience so enjoyable, and it doesn't always come across on TV, and to be honest it affects my enjoyment watching on TV.
    No doubt, I remember the cameras shaking during tip offs.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post

    And I've previously expressed my opinion here on this issue -- repeatedly and emphatically -- but allow me to reiterate my distaste for the embarrassingly puerile "You suck!" greeting that is now routinely directed at all visiting players. I'd prefer that this unbecoming display of mouth-breathing stupidity be put to a long overdue death; but at the very least, it should be reserved solely -- as it used to be -- for the Tarheels.
    I think we're all somewhat showing our age here. This is still deemed funny and clever by the younger crowd (but it's really not). The fact that you can holler this vile chant out loud and in unison toward your opponent is now part of college athletics throughout the country and while it's possible that the Crazies may have started this "cheer" (arguably properlycreated toward the Cheats), it would be great for the Crazies to retire this one and comes up with something equally memorable and clever -- something along the lines of the "You shot the Sheriff" or "We beg to differ" chants when they were unveiled come to mind.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    We were sitting upstairs 5 rows above the student section. The Crazies did call for Herb to wave his towel (which he did, of course) at the customary time-out in the second half; but it was a relatively small number calling and their chant was largely muted by the broader base of crowd noise at the time.

    And I've previously expressed my opinion here on this issue -- repeatedly and emphatically -- but allow me to reiterate my distaste for the embarrassingly puerile "You suck!" greeting that is now routinely directed at all visiting players. I'd prefer that this unbecoming display of mouth-breathing stupidity be put to a long overdue death; but at the very least, it should be reserved solely -- as it used to be -- for the Tarheels.
    I brought a friend with me who had not been to a game in Cameron Indoor before. Heís a UNC fan ó he has lived across the street from UNC campus for at least 15 years and his daughter is a freshman there ó but he likes Duke, also. As part of the deal I insisted he wear the anti-UNC shirt I bought for him and that he cheer for Duke. He had no problem complying with both edicts. As it was his first time in CIS I wanted him to see Crazy Towel Guy, among many other things. Both he and I somehow missed it. Weird.

    Anyway, I hadnít realized the crowd (or is it just the Crazies?) chants ďYou suck!Ē during opposing team player introductions. I donít really care to see player introductions so Iím usually buying a pulled pork bbq sandwich (I wish they were larger), peanuts, and water during that stuff. I can see why a lot of Duke fans would prefer that (ďYou suck!Ē) be permanently retired.,

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    By the way, what has happened to Crazy Towel Guy? I havenít seen him in the past 2 or 3 games Iíve attended, though I recall him making an appearance earlier in the season. Coincidentally, I was there many years ago the night Crazy Towel Guy did his thing for the very first time. I remember thinking how bizarre it was. I never would have imagined it would last as long as it did (if indeed it is over).
    As a season ticket holder for the last 20 years or so, I cannot recall a single game where he hasnít been there. It has become scripted, almost an afterthought, and occurs as far as I can tell at the under 8 minute timeout.

    Having seen it hundreds of times now, it really doesnít appeal that much to me anymore. But, thatís really not the point. For the undergrads, itís relatively newish to them and part of the Cameron tradition and experience. Iíd love to see it during times of the game where the team needs a pick me up from the crowd as opposed to being so scripted, but thatís just my opinion.
    Last edited by billy; 02-15-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Syntax

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Changes in Cameron

    I have had tickets since the mid 1980s and thought the crowd on Monday was great... don't understand what Coach wanted. We Crusties upstairs WERE jumping up and yelling, clapping, as were the students.

    As to the Crazy Towel guy, he is there every time and the students call for him every time. It has now moved to the 4th quarter (which is fine with me). the interest of the Crazies and the camera operators seems to have shifted to two men (One usually brings lights; the other always wears his shirt with the 5 National Champs on it.) They come on during a song usually done in the second half (Every Time We Touch) and they jump up and down and raise their hands. The camera goes back and forth between them... and it is great fun to see the upstairs fans getting some love from the entire crowd.

    As long as I've been there, I have not seen the Crazy Towel Guy on the monitor. Honestly, I have trouble understanding what he does and why the students call for him at all. I know he has been there forever... once made a promise that he would attend every home game for all Duke teams and nearly died (!) trying to live up to that. But I think his unique appeal has disappeared, replaced by these other two men... and perhaps it is time to have that over. The fact that, at some times, students are yelling louder for the Crazy Towel Guy than they are for the team bothers me--especially as I do not understand why.

    Let's beat Notre Dame today!
    DukeDevilDeb

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I have had tickets since the mid 1980s and thought the crowd on Monday was great... don't understand what Coach wanted. We Crusties upstairs WERE jumping up and yelling, clapping, as were the students.

    As to the Crazy Towel guy, he is there every time and the students call for him every time. It has now moved to the 4th quarter (which is fine with me). the interest of the Crazies and the camera operators seems to have shifted to two men (One usually brings lights; the other always wears his shirt with the 5 National Champs on it.) They come on during a song usually done in the second half (Every Time We Touch) and they jump up and down and raise their hands. The camera goes back and forth between them... and it is great fun to see the upstairs fans getting some love from the entire crowd.

    As long as I've been there, I have not seen the Crazy Towel Guy on the monitor. Honestly, I have trouble understanding what he does and why the students call for him at all. I know he has been there forever... once made a promise that he would attend every home game for all Duke teams and nearly died (!) trying to live up to that. But I think his unique appeal has disappeared, replaced by these other two men... and perhaps it is time to have that over. The fact that, at some times, students are yelling louder for the Crazy Towel Guy than they are for the team bothers me--especially as I do not understand why.

    Let's beat Notre Dame today!
    Herb N. (aka CTG) lost me after the first home Alabama game when he sold his game tickets during the team Blue Devil walk, waving his tickets in the players' faces to show that HE was disapproving of the team's performance and HE wasn't going to the game. He hasn't bought season football tickets since. Good riddance, Herb.

    The students did their CTG cheer at the under 4 minute time out, much later than normal, and it was pretty muted in comparison to "normal". Herb stood and waved his towel, and the students cheered, and that was somewhat muted too.

    Yeah, I wish they'd lose the "you suck" part of the visitor player introductions. I also wish the "Go To HELL carolina, Go To Hell" cheer would make a comeback.

    Now, get off my lawn!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I have had tickets since the mid 1980s and thought the crowd on Monday was great... don't understand what Coach wanted. We Crusties upstairs WERE jumping up and yelling, clapping, as were the students.
    What did Coach K say about the crowd?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post
    Wasn't always this way. Go watch the 98 Wojo game on youtube, you can practically feel the crowd vibrating. It's too bad because the crowd is what makes the experience so enjoyable, and it doesn't always come across on TV, and to be honest it affects my enjoyment watching on TV.
    But if they didn't suppress the crowd noise you might miss part of the story of that one time Dick Vitale had lunch with some guy. Where are your priorities??

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    I think we're all somewhat showing our age here. This is still deemed funny and clever by the younger crowd (but it's really not). The fact that you can holler this vile chant out loud and in unison toward your opponent is now part of college athletics throughout the country and while it's possible that the Crazies may have started this "cheer" (arguably properlycreated toward the Cheats), it would be great for the Crazies to retire this one and comes up with something equally memorable and clever -- something along the lines of the "You shot the Sheriff" or "We beg to differ" chants when they were unveiled come to mind.
    I'm pretty sure the Crazies didn't initiate the "Hi X, You Suck" -- at least when I was at Duke from 88-91 we just did the "Hi X" part. I think the first I heard of the other was from Maryland fans.

    In any event, the modification subsequently adopted is puerile, and I think (young or old) objectively not clever or funny and I wish they'd stop doing it.

    Also, I'll second that 98 vs. Carolina was loudest I can remember Cameron (can't speak to the Freddy Lind game).

    Now, get off my lawn.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    But if they didn't suppress the crowd noise you might miss part of the story of that one time Dick Vitale had lunch with some guy. Where are your priorities??
    This made me laugh 😉

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 07:53 PM
  3. Replies: 114
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM
  4. MBB: Duke at Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  5. MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Hancock 4 Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •