Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree that Wendell has shown he's a valuable player, particularly on defense. But I'm not sure he's reducing his errors -- his TO% (an alarming 25.5%) is the same in conference play as it is in non-conference play (and his TOs/40 (4.4/40) is the same since coming back from injury as it was before), and his eFG% is only marginally better (.467 before the injury and .479 after the injury).
    Thank you for confirming with numbers what I felt like I was seeing. Still drives into traffic with his head down too often and when trapped doesn't try to finish hard to the rim to at least draw the foul, and instead gets stripped. If he cleans that up he will improve his play and value to the team making us more dangerous.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But Jay has walked 94' with Jesus...
    Did he? Why was there only one set of sneaker prints?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Bilas carried Him.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    They were hiding their numbers, like the Sand People of Tattoine.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bilas carried Him.
    😂😂😂. That must be the reason

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, it's pedantic anyway. From www.grammarbook.com

Rule 1b. Many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.). So do a lot of proper nouns (Mr. Jones, Texas, Christmas). There are conflicting policies and theories about how to show possession when writing such nouns. There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent.
    Rule 1c. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.
    When I worked in editing and proofreading (for about 4 years), we used the Chicago Manual of Style. They may or may not have changed it since then (not gonna look it up), but at the time it was very strictly outlined. Plural possessives took just an apostrophe, but singular possessives pretty much all took "s-apostrophe-s."

Examples:

1) Tre Jones's play at the end of regulation was stellar.
    2) Jay Bilas's tone during a broadcast is almost always condescending.
    3) After work, they all went to Mr. Furness's home to watch Duke beat UNC.

But

1) Socrates' philosophy has been the subject of much study.
    2) The women at the church daycare center encouraged the children to follow Jesus' example.

It is not my fault that the entire linguistic world has gone to hell in a hand basket since then.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Apostrophe plus S

Surely GrammarBook.com is an unimpeachable source:

Rule 1b. Many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.). So do a lot of proper nouns (Mr. Jones, Texas, Christmas). There are conflicting policies and theories about how to show possession when writing such nouns. There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent.

Rule 1c. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.

Examples:
    the class's hours
    Mr. Jones' golf clubs
    the canvas's size
    Texas' weather
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Update....

OK, I couldn't stand it, so I went to check the Chicago Manual of Style on this issue. Although they no longer say that just adding an apostophe is incorrect, they still prefer s-apostrophe-s for singular possessives.

We've gone a bit afield. My main point was that we can't risk anybody making the assumption that we are putting Bilas on a pedestal with Jesus and Socrates.

That is all.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Surely GrammarBook.com is an unimpeachable source:
    I certainly hope you are being sarcastic. For as long as I can remember, the Chicago Manual of Style has been the "bible."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I certainly hope you are being sarcastic. For as long as I can remember, the Chicago Manual of Style has been the "bible."
    Seriously. Who the hell is grammarbook.com? Color me unimpressed.

When I worked in editing and proofreading (for about 4 years), we used the Chicago Manual of Style. They may or may not have changed it since then (not gonna look it up), but at the time it was very strictly outlined. Plural possessives took just an apostrophe, but singular possessives pretty much all took "s-apostrophe-s."

Examples:

1) Tre Jones's play at the end of regulation was stellar.
    2) Jay Bilas's tone during a broadcast is almost always condescending.
    3) After work, they all went to Mr. Furness's home to watch Duke beat UNC.

But

1) Socrates' philosophy has been the subject of much study.
    2) The women at the church daycare center encouraged the children to follow Jesus' example.

It is not my fault that the entire linguistic world has gone to hell in a hand basket since then.
    Strunk and White are my grammar/style bible, and they agree with Chicago.

They hold Jesus in pretty high esteem, in that they prefer that only Jesus take an apostrophe with no -s.

Among other ancient names, they prefer, for example, the philosophy of Socrates, the laws of Moses.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    They hold Jesus in pretty high esteem, in that they prefer that only Jesus take an apostrophe with no -s.

In which case, my argument to change the thread title only gets stronger.

Thumbs down I'm done with him

When he called THE GAME the "Carolina - Duke game," it was the last straw for me. Will tune him out every time I can.

I feel ya...and FTR, I'm a published author (2 books, thousands of columns) and like it or not, style has loosened greatly over the last 20 years.

Then again, a sports forum may not have ever been subject to the Chicago Manual....just sayin...

Among other ancient names, they prefer, for example, the philosophy of Socrates, the laws of Moses.
    Grammarbook.com reference was sarcastic, but I thought the advice to "be consistent" was hard to disagree with.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I feel ya...and FTR, I'm a published author (2 books, thousands of columns) and like it or not, style has loosened greatly over the last 20 years.

Then again, a sports forum may not have ever been subject to the Chicago Manual...just sayin...
    Prolly true.

Then again, this is not just any sports forum. This is DBR, man!

Let me know when we get to Blue Booking this bad boy. (Not Kelley’s)

Can we just write some code to where the board software generates a new Bilas-related thread every six hours? It would save some time in the long run.

Strunk and White? LOOK THAT UP IN YOUR FUNK & WAGNALLS.

I remember when it was just Strunk. There was no white, because the alphabet only had 22 letters back then. Most grammar issues were related to reducing chisel strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Let me know when we get to Blue Booking this bad boy. (Not Kelley’s)
    Now we're talking! Who do we bill?

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Can we just write some code to where the board software generates a new Bilas-related thread every six hours? It would save some time in the long run.
    Given Jay's proclivity to p.o. people on this board, I think you have a macroeconomics problem, supply not meeting demand an' all.

This thread is so funny that he really should be alerted to it. I haven't laughed this much here in quite a while.
    Well done boys and girls!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'