Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jay Bilas’ Current Assessment of Duke’s Chances in the Tournament

In an ESPN article today Jay said the following about our Blue Devils:
    Tre Jones was renamed "Tre Stones" after his mind-blowing second-half and overtime performance at North Carolina. By the way, Duke-Carolina always delivers. Jones was the first player to put up 28 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds in this rivalry since Michael Jordan did it in 1983, and no player will ever duplicate the "bullet off the rim and chase it down" play to send the game to overtime. Stones, indeed. Duke is far from perfect, but close enough that it can reach Atlanta and win there. With Wendell Moore Jr. back and healthy, Duke has five athletes and handlers it can use at the same time, and that will serve the Blue Devils well.

i was surprised that he didn't have the cheats on the 2nd tier...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Has the Jay Bilas thread even scabbed over yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Has the Jay Bilas thread even scabbed over yet?
    This is part of the healing process. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Kudos to you, good sir.

Fair and balanced.

Actually, Jay Bilas should be pinned to the header in between Forum Actions and Quick Links. Save some time.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Actually, Jay Bilas should be pinned to the header in between Forum Actions and Quick Links. Save some time.
    Jay's perspective on the proposal:

"They've been discussing the change [giving me my own Header] forever, but it's been a slow drip of chaos. DBR makes its own rules, and their rules are bad. That’s been pointed out forever, but the people in charge [of DBR] deny the possibility or actually they deny having a denial, as if there's a code of silence within DBR that prevents the public from knowing what's going on, even if they know exactly what they want to do.

“Now you have JD King saying the system [of DBR Header naming rights] is broken. What, JD, Jim, and the rest of them didn't know the system was broken until now? I've been discussing the Header issue with them since Justise Winslow was in middle school. The system’s been broken forever, so it’s disingenuous for them to argue that they are only now getting around to giving me my own Header.

"Basically, the current concern [over my Header] has been brewing for years. It's been called an 'existential threat' to the web site, that it's going to ruin everything to provide a Header to one person, as if it doesn't matter that the one person is also the VIP of all alumni, past and future. They worry that I'll take over and drop DBR under my media umbrella, but their abandonment of any form of principle is frankly embarrassing.

"They don't step forward and do the right thing. DBR does what it always does. They react. They react to the state and federal governments. They react to the NCAA. The react to their own shadows. Not often enough do they react to their readership--which obviously wants to support the Header Initiative--but instead they stall as long as possible, and then say, 'look at what we're doing.'"

"It is, Bilas concluded, "pathetic."

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

"They've been discussing the change [giving me my own Header] forever, but it's been a slow drip of chaos. DBR makes its own rules, and their rules are bad. That’s been pointed out forever, but the people in charge [of DBR] deny the possibility or actually they deny having a denial, as if there's a code of silence within DBR that prevents the public from knowing what's going on, even if they know exactly what they want to do.

“Now you have JD King saying the system [of DBR Header naming rights] is broken. What, JD, Jim, and the rest of them didn't know the system was broken until now? I've been discussing the Header issue with them since Justise Winslow was in middle school. The system’s been broken forever, so it’s disingenuous for them to argue that they are only now getting around to giving me my own Header.

"Basically, the current concern [over my Header] has been brewing for years. It's been called an 'existential threat' to the web site, that it's going to ruin everything to provide a Header to one person, as if it doesn't matter that the one person is also the VIP of all alumni, past and future. They worry that I'll take over and drop DBR under my media umbrella, but their abandonment of any form of principle is frankly embarrassing.

"They don't step forward and do the right thing. DBR does what it always does. They react. They react to the state and federal governments. They react to the NCAA. The react to their own shadows. Not often enough do they react to their readership--which obviously wants to support the Header Initiative--but instead they stall as long as possible, and then say, 'look at what we're doing.'"

This ought to be the last post here ever allowed to reference JB.

Sporks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

This is genius. All we need to add is a bit where Jay gushes about how IC is better, although my keyboard will not allow me to type it even in jest.

How Good Is Duke

I think Bill Parcell said, You're only as good as your record says you are. If thats an indication Duke is pretty darn good. What's the reality?

All teams have warts and are beatable. Duke is no exception. To list a few:

1. We are young in experience, featuring relying on 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore with very limited playing time his freshmen year. We see the inexperience at times but at least we have very talented freshmen.

2. Our more experienced players are somewhat one dimensional with the exception of Tre who has blossomed this season.

3. Teams that spread us out can get by us for easy twos and teams have found they get be effective beating our defense down the floor.

4. Teams that pack it in can limit Vernon's effectiveness and also can force a lot of turnovers when our offense tries to force it in or dribbles into a crowd.

So, while Duke is very good, we can be beaten by any number of teams who have hot shooting nights and catch Duke in one of their flat periods. In the tournament, that can be the end of the season. For the remainder of the season, a lot of games will be an adventure. Lets hope that the team continues to improve against the likes of Notre Dame and on.

There are good signs of improvement in foul shooting, Jordan's play, Alex coming out of a funk, Moore also reducing his errors while showing real value, Hurt understanding and dealing with the physicality of the game and Javin understanding his role and playing it better of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Moore also reducing his errors while showing real value
    I agree that Wendell has shown he's a valuable player, particularly on defense. But I'm not sure he's reducing his errors -- his TO% (an alarming 25.5%) is the same in conference play as it is in non-conference play (and his TOs/40 (4.4/40) is the same since coming back from injury as it was before), and his eFG% is only marginally better (.467 before the injury and .479 after the injury).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree that Wendell has shown he's a valuable player, particularly on defense. But I'm not sure he's reducing his errors -- his TO% (an alarming 25.5%) is the same in conference play as it is in non-conference play (and his TOs/40 (4.4/40) is the same since coming back from injury as it was before), and his eFG% is only marginally better (.467 before the injury and .479 after the injury).
    After what he did Saturday night for the good guys. I am not all that concerned with his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    After what he did Saturday night for the good guys. I am not all that concerned with his stats.
    Totally agree. I'm just saying he's not playing all that differently than he was before.

In an ESPN article today Jay said the following about our Blue Devils:
    Tre Jones was renamed "Tre Stones" after his mind-blowing second-half and overtime performance at North Carolina. By the way, Duke-Carolina always delivers. Jones was the first player to put up 28 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds in this rivalry since Michael Jordan did it in 1983, and no player will ever duplicate the "bullet off the rim and chase it down" play to send the game to overtime. Stones, indeed. Duke is far from perfect, but close enough that it can reach Atlanta and win there. With Wendell Moore Jr. back and healthy, Duke has five athletes and handlers it can use at the same time, and that will serve the Blue Devils well.
    Those are the kindest words any Cheats fan has ever said about Duke...

Bilas must be assuming we’re going to continue to get all of the calls...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Totally agree. I'm just saying he's not playing all that differently than he was before.
    Yeah, the injury might have slowed his progress. Wendell is one of the more interesting players, for me, in a while. Hard to say why, but I just believe he will be a very special player soon. I was going to say "one day", but, heck, he's already done the one day thing! Thanks, Wendell!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Consult the DBR HPR. I think "2B" is the shorthand this thread needs.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 02-13-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: 2B or not 2B that is the question that divides DBR nation

[pedantic but important usage correction] The thread title should be changed to read "Jay Bilas's Current Assessment of Duke's Chances in the Tournament." Possessives of names ending in "s" are made by adding an apostrophe and another s. The only exceptions are historical figures whose contributions to the world or exceptional accomplishments make them universally known; viz., Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, etc.

We cannot and should not elevate the already egocentric-enough Jay Bilas into that stratosphere. [/pedantic but important usage correction]
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    [pedantic but important usage correction] The thread title should be changed to read "Jay Bilas's Current Assessment of Duke's Chances in the Tournament." Possessives of names ending in "s" are made by adding an apostrophe and another s. The only exceptions are historical figures whose contributions to the world or exceptional accomplishments make them universally known; viz., Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, etc.

We cannot and should not elevate the already egocentric-enough Jay Bilas into that stratosphere. [/pedantic but important usage correction]
    Well, it's pedantic anyway. From www.grammarbook.com

Rule 1b. Many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.). So do a lot of proper nouns (Mr. Jones, Texas, Christmas). There are conflicting policies and theories about how to show possession when writing such nouns. There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent.
    Rule 1c. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

But Jay has walked 94' with Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, Dean, Bobby, Calipari, all of the giants. He has put himself in that rare air.