Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Think Zager and Evans.
    That's still pretty far in the future...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    “Bubble team”? I reject that notion.
    Dadgum it. You say bubble team like that's a frickin bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Have a coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Have a coke.
    ...and a smile.
    😊🙄

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Is that you, ol’ Huck? Are you posting on DBR instead of coaching up your boys and getting ‘em ready for the UVA game on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Is that you, ol’ Huck? Are you posting on DBR instead of coaching up your boys and getting ‘em ready for the UVA game on Saturday?

Well, how else is he supposed to learn how to coach?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, how else is he supposed to learn how to coach?
    K has written/co-authored a few books he could read...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I will never, ever forget how the BOGgers used to pull their shirts over their heads, lean in from behind the opposing bench, and just scream like lunatics thru the entirety of every time out. It’s the reason so many teams had to start bringing folding chairs to conduct their timeouts on the court. But, alas, the powers that be stopped allowing students to sit behind the opposing bench.
    This touches on a big point. The student section is basically half the size it used to be. The bench side bleachers used to be 90% students, with a few guests directly behind Duke's bench and a very small buffer section behind the visitor's bench, with the BOGgers as the craziest of the crazies hovering over the opponent's bench. Now, there are very few students on that side. The idea of piped in music also would have been scoffed at back in those days.

I'm not making a value judgment. Students can be interested in whatever they choose. I never went to a Duke baseball game, but that doesn't make me a bad person or someone who doesn't support my school as a whole. I still go to a game a year, and the crowd still stands out above just about any other school's crowd. Many ACC crowds can get a little sparse and quiet when they're not playing Duke. Kentucky always has big crowds, but they often seem pretty quiet for normal games. Kansas does seem consistently strong.

Cameron is still elite, but to pretend that it's as much as what it used to be is just ignoring obvious facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    This touches on a big point. The student section is basically half the size it used to be. The bench side bleachers used to be 90% students, with a few guests directly behind Duke's bench and a very small buffer section behind the visitor's bench, with the BOGgers as the craziest of the crazies hovering over the opponent's bench. Now, there are very few students on that side. The idea of piped in music also would have been scoffed at back in those days.

I'm not making a value judgment. Students can be interested in whatever they choose. I never went to a Duke baseball game, but that doesn't make me a bad person or someone who doesn't support my school as a whole. I still go to a game a year, and the crowd still stands out above just about any other school's crowd. Many ACC crowds can get a little sparse and quiet when they're not playing Duke. Kentucky always has big crowds, but they often seem pretty quiet for normal games. Kansas does seem consistently strong.

Cameron is still elite, but to pretend that it's as much as what it used to be is just ignoring obvious facts.
    It's slightly smaller, but not by THAT much. How you ask? They re-arranged the ugrad and grad seating arrangement such that grad students now occupy the seats behind both baskets instead of the VIP seats from donors who weren't doing much distracting when opposing teams were shooting FTs on the other side in the second half. The number of grad seats stayed the same though as they used to occupy the corner of the "TV side" and instead that is now filled with ugrads. So, long story short, they did a lot of re-arranging. The non TV side (where I stood for Duke's 102-92 victory over Chris Paul's Wake where JJ scored 38) was great too though and allowed ugrads to not have to be in the "Grad" corner. I got to be mid-court for that one although basically top row (I think I had "only" lined up 3 hours early for that noon game). There were still a lot of reserved seats behind the Duke bench though for family/others, and seats for the opposing team, so it's not as if the ugrads took up that entire side. The WF game incidentally was the most packed I have ever seen the student section with literally everybody standing sideways to fit...Even more crowded than any UNC game I attended. Dwine and the LMs must have done some voo doo to get the count down to appease the fire marshall..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It's slightly smaller, but not by THAT much. How you ask? They re-arranged the ugrad and grad seating arrangement such that grad students now occupy the seats behind both baskets instead of the VIP seats from donors who weren't doing much distracting when opposing teams were shooting FTs on the other side in the second half. The number of grad seats stayed the same though as they used to occupy the corner of the "TV side" and instead that is now filled with ugrads. So, long story short, they did a lot of re-arranging. The non TV side (where I stood for Duke's 102-92 victory over Chris Paul's Wake where JJ scored 38) was great too though and allowed ugrads to not have to be in the "Grad" corner. I got to be mid-court for that one although basically top row (I think I had "only" lined up 3 hours early for that noon game). There were still a lot of reserved seats behind the Duke bench though for family/others, and seats for the opposing team, so it's not as if the ugrads took up that entire side. The WF game incidentally was the most packed I have ever seen the student section with literally everybody standing sideways to fit...Even more crowded than any UNC game I attended. Dwine and the LMs must have done some voo doo to get the count down to appease the fire marshall..
    about the same size as it was in the 2000's, but far smaller than it was in the 80's, to when OP is referring.
    April 1

What you describe from the Chris Paul at Wake era would be a much smaller student section that what existed during the era my User Name indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    about the same size as it was in the 2000's, but far smaller than it was in the 80's, to when OP is referring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    What you describe from the Chris Paul at Wake era would be a much smaller student section that what existed during the era my User Name indicates.
    Ah fair enough. I misunderstood the comparison date. Thanks for the clarification!

I remember back in the day, Wojo went around to the frats to encourage attendance as there was a perception that it wasn't "cool" to go to games and they wanted to have a more hostile environment which they thought fraternity members could bring...Of course, this wasn't right before the game but during downtime.
    Funny, considering how uncool frats were.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

And Billy Werber served the beer.

We indeed set a record that day. I'm not sure if it still stands, but the undergrad sections that day were packed with 2175 students. Officially, we were only allowed between 900-1200 based on whatever side of the bed the fire marshal got up on that day. That does not count the probably 25-30 students we were able to place upstairs or in other sections of Cameron due to tickets that had been turned in last minute.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Kansas is so worried about selling tickets they've reduced season ticket prices. Apparently, they weren't consistently selling out last season.

Of course, Duke is likely to have problems of its own selling season tickets this August since it's unclear whether we'll have a college basketball season, whether the games will be open to the public if there is a season and whether it will be safe to attend Cameron is open for fans to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    . . . Of course, Duke is likely to have problems of its own selling season tickets this August since it's unclear whether we'll have a college basketball season, whether the games will be open to the public if there is a season and whether it will be safe to attend Cameron is open for fans to attend.
    Barring any unanticipated developments, I expect that Duke will propose the same "risk-free" guarantee for basketball season tickets that is currently being offered to football season ticket holders: If any games are cancelled, the purchaser will be refunded the amount paid for those game tickets. That would seem to be a reasonable accommodation. The more difficult issue, however, is the matter of the annual Iron Duke contributions that are required to qualify for the right to purchase season tickets, which at a minimum amount to more than double -- and for some members more than triple or quadruple -- the cost of a pair of season tickets. And that issue has become much more thorny not only because of the recent setbacks to and continuing uncertainly about the economy, but with the demise of the 80% charitable contribution deduction that donors could previously claim on their federal income tax.

Customarily, the Iron Dukes send out a notice on July 1 advising that the annual contribution for the preceding year will be automatically renewed unless the member submits a request to cancel or change the contribution. But this year, it is unlikely that we'll know by July 1 whether there will be a college basketball season, or at least whether and to what extent the games will be open for attendance by fans. Will Duke insist that contributions be renewed, by pledges that are normally regarded as irrevocable, before we know with certainty whether the primary purpose of most members for making those contributions -- to secure season tickets for men's basketball -- will be fulfilled? Because the pledges aren't due to be paid until June of the following year, it would be simple enough for Duke to make the pledges conditional, at least to the extent that if the full season is cancelled, or the games are played with no fans in attendance, the season ticket purchase price will be refunded and the contribution pledge will be revocable. But it obviously becomes more complicated if the season starts normally, then some games have to be cancelled or attendance is barred or limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Barring any unanticipated developments, I expect that Duke will propose the same "risk-free" guarantee for basketball season tickets that is currently being offered to football season ticket holders: If any games are cancelled, the purchaser will be refunded the amount paid for those game tickets. That would seem to be a reasonable accommodation. The more difficult issue, however, is the matter of the annual Iron Duke contributions that are required to qualify for the right to purchase season tickets, which at a minimum amount to more than double -- and for some members more than triple or quadruple -- the cost of a pair of season tickets. And that issue has become much more thorny not only because of the recent setbacks to and continuing uncertainly about the economy, but with the demise of the 80% charitable contribution deduction that donors could previously claim on their federal income tax.

Customarily, the Iron Dukes send out a notice on July 1 advising that the annual contribution for the preceding year will be automatically renewed unless the member submits a request to cancel or change the contribution. But this year, it is unlikely that we'll know by July 1 whether there will be a college basketball season, or at least whether and to what extent the games will be open for attendance by fans. Will Duke insist that contributions be renewed, by pledges that are normally regarded as irrevocable, before we know with certainty whether the primary purpose of most members for making those contributions -- to secure season tickets for men's basketball -- will be fulfilled? Because the pledges aren't due to be paid until June of the following year, it would be simple enough for Duke to make the pledges conditional, at least to the extent that if the full season is cancelled, or the games are played with no fans in attendance, the season ticket purchase price will be refunded and the contribution pledge will be revocable. But it obviously becomes more complicated if the season starts normally, then some games have to be cancelled or attendance is barred or limited.
    Exactly. If we’re going to make a contribution, at least let us get a charitable deduction for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    ...Will Duke insist that contributions be renewed, by pledges that are normally regarded as irrevocable, before we know with certainty whether the primary purpose of most members for making those contributions -- to secure season tickets for men's basketball -- will be fulfilled?

...it would be simple enough for Duke to make the pledges conditional... and the contribution pledge will be revocable...
    With every respect to S. Gator, I fear this is a pipe dream. The IDs may "know" that the purpose of many members is to secure the opportunity to purchase hoops tickets but they "don't care" when it comes to the bottom line.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that the IDs give an inch on the contributions. Maybe we'll get a nice magnetic calendar for the basement fridge but it's going to be a small one.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    With every respect to S. Gator, I fear this is a pipe dream. The IDs may "know" that the purpose of many members is to secure the opportunity to purchase hoops tickets but they "don't care" when it comes to the bottom line.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that the IDs give an inch on the contributions. Maybe we'll get a nice magnetic calendar for the basement fridge but it's going to be a small one.
    To be clear, I wasn't offering a prediction of what the Iron Dukes will do, but merely speculating about what they might consider doing when confronted with the prospect that many season-ticket holders may balk at renewing their annual contributions if there is uncertainty about whether their primary objective in giving -- the ability to attend men's basketball games in Cameron -- could be rendered valueless. There's no doubt that the Iron Dukes care most about the bottom line. But if Duke is not going to play basketball games that fans can attend in Cameron this coming season, then those season-ticket holders who contribute only to secure the right to purchase game tickets will have no reason to renew their contributions, except to preserve their continuing seat priority for future seasons. I may be wrong, but I suspect that unless those people receive assurances that there will be games they can attend or are offered the option to cancel (or modify) their pledges, the bottom line will suffer to some extent, particularly in this time of economic uncertainty.