scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

A pretty amazing statistic: the number of unique starting lineups this year

I'm not sure this has gotten the amount of attention it deserves, but here it is: Duke has used eleven unique starting lineups this season. Eight of those, including the one that debuted last night, were used for only a single game. The most common, a lineup of Jones/Goldwire/Stanley/Hurt/Carey, has been used in eight games (two of which were losses).

This is mind-boggling to me, because normally when you think of teams with this much fluidity in their starting group, it means that they've been hit with a lot of adversity, often injury based. And yes, Wendell's injury likely caused some of these lineups, and Cassius was also out for a game. But there's no doubt that this flexibility has been by choice. Think about the added challenge that poses to opposing coaches, who legitimately don't know which 5 players Duke will trot out to start a game, something that's only been increased now that we've debuted our smaller, "four around one" lineup.

For context, last year, with many more injury concerns, we only had 8 unique starting lineups. In reality, two lineups (the four freshmen stars with either Javin or Marques at the 5) started 28 of 38 games. In 2017-18, we had five total starting lineups the entire season. 2016-17 we had 10, but again that was a year with significant injuries (Giles, Tatum early in the year, etc.). 2015-16 we had 6 starting lineups. The National Championship year of 2014-15 we only had 3 the entire season.

Just another statistic quantifying how unique and special this team is.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Well Jones did miss two games as well as Baker. Not huge injury issues but Jones especially caused a couple extra lineups and different people have been out for different games. Still it does seem that K has really tried tweaking lineups for matchup purposes more than usual.

How about this derivative stat - the only players not to start a game are Javin (who started 16 games last year), JRob, and Buckmire

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Well Jones did miss two games as well as Baker. Not huge injury issues but Jones especially caused a couple extra lineups and different people have been out for different games. Still it does seem that K has really tried tweaking lineups for matchup purposes more than usual.
    Good point, I forgot about the games Tre missed.

Perhaps this is more illustrative then: of our eleven unique starting lineups, only three have been used multiple times: the most common one I highlighted previously, the lineup of Jones/Stanely/Moore/Hurt/Carey (4 games, 3-1 record), and the lineup of Jones/AOC/Stanley/Hurt/Carey (4 games, 4-0 record). That means we've had 8 starting lineups that we've only used in one game. That means K is really confident trying a bunch of different combinations of our puzzle pieces based on who's played/practiced well, the matchup, etc.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!