Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Defensive slugfest

The stats were pretty interesting.

FSU had 18 steals, including the eight by Forrest for an all-time record for an opponent at Cameron. Duke had only 8 steals.

But Duke's shooting defense was outstanding, only allowing 37.9% on twos and 16.7% on threes.

With the ten more steals and a 17-11 advantage on offensive rebounds, FSU had fifteen more shots than Duke, so it's a good thing we defended them so well.

In the end I think we won because of 7/17 (41.2%) on threes, as well as the twenty points from Goldwire and AOC.

Considering that Bilas was subdued, this game was outstanding all around.

Great game. Under the circumstances I’d say our best win of the year. Way to step up Goldwire, Hurt and AOC.

Terrible announcing, yet again. Especially ignoring the ridiculous missed out of bounds call and then complaining about the Hurt call a few seconds later. Surrender your Duke fan credentials if you thought otherwise.
    Last edited by SouthernDukie; 02-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.

This team is 21-3. Not bad considering all the slow starts and questions on defense.

First of all, the standings will only show a win. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game like that, where it felt like FSU was playing better all night, but almost never had the lead. If you’re Duke, and you get a 60% foul shooting game from FSU and 17% 3pt shooting game, while you go 77 and 41 respectively, you’d expect to win easily. But while Duke was not physically drained, they were most definitely mentally drained. 16 steals is really bad, and they did a poor job getting back to contest when they did give them up.

Props to JGold for picking up the slack, and I thought Moore had some really nice plays that weren’t that noticeable. I though he was more in control when he drove (that early bullrush charge notwithstanding) than Tre and Cassius. I think one of the key plays in the game was with about 5 minutes left, Duke had one of its many turnovers on drives, but he was the first corner guy to finally diagnose one early enough to get back and contest the play.

And once it got to crunch time, Duke was much much more in control. Who would have thought you’d see Jav and Hurt going 6-6 in crunch time, with two of those trips being one and ones.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That screenshot has no chance of being shown on eSpN
    Paul Biancardi of ESPN tweeting that Hurt should have been called for a charge. He’s getting roasted with the slo mo showing FSU player flopped and wasn’t hit.

Javin came up huge with D and bounds.

Imagine this duke team putting it all together. I thought they played really well tonight except for all of the turnovers which always lead to a disjointed offense. I’m glad we made enough plays down the stretch.

Great win against a very tough opponent.

Our defense was very solid tonight and I thought DeLaurier fought hard, rebounded well and mixed it up. His ttwo FTs near the end were very big.

Our offense seemed to key off of driving into the inside with the teeth of their defense making it extremely hard to succeed. Twenty one turnovers and many of them from that approach. What them seemed to want to accomplish was to get inside and kick it to outside shooters.

Jones and Goldwire played good games even after considering the turnovers. This was a team win with a lot of contributions from the majority of our players. Perhaps Joey had a very bad stretch while he may have tried to be overly aggressive but it was Alex's turn to be a positive factor.

We hit a lot of key FT's, especially in closing the game out.

Now we get to rest until Saturday after going through 3 straight road wins and then taking down the #8 ranked team in the country.

What a gutty win from a team that was exhausted. We played well in spurts but could not sustain a high level of effort due to fatigue. Bench play really picked us up especially in the first half, moving the ball and providing good energy. Loved seeing a strong game from Hurt, hitting the threes early and the free throws late. We’re going to need him playing at a high level for us to reach our ceiling. Alex hit two enormous shots when FSU was threatening to pull away and the rest of our team looked like they had concrete in their shoes. Goldwire perfect from the field, punishing FSU for playing off him and even creating in his own. And Javin’s two free throws were just huge, the game was very much still in doubt at that point.

Not sure why Carey stayed out for the whole closing stretch, but really a great win. As electric as Saturday’s win was, this one was just as satisfying as it was really a team effort against a big time opponent. Had we lost it would have nullified a lot of what we did on Saturday, and we would have had virtually no shot at a regular season conference... best record.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Javin came up huge with D and bounds.
    And two very clutch free throws. I thought Javin was huge down the stretch.

That screenshot has no chance of being shown on eSpN
    On slow mo, it looks like the ball Hurtwas holding got him, but Hurt didn’t, before his teammate got him

An awful lot of turnovers, but the guys showed a lot of fight...a true tram effort with nobody seeming to really dominate the stat lines.

Paul Biancardi of ESPN tweeting that Hurt should have been called for a charge. He’s getting roasted with the slo mo showing FSU player flopped and wasn’t hit.
    Wow. Didn’t even come close to touching him. Here’s the link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulBianc...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Here's another angle on Hurt: https://twitter.com/i/status/1227059738673844234

-jk

Gutsy win with contributions from all corners. FSU is long and plays so tough on perimeter D that every possession was a battle just to get started.

I liked the energy by Baker, O’Connell, and DeLaurier, even if it was a bit spastic at times.

Nate James-level grit tonight...

He was hit... just not by Hurt.

Quite simply one of my favorite non-splashy (as in, not Kentucky last year) Duke performances. I really, really didn't think we'd have it in us to win this game, and though it feels very weird to say "proud," I kinda feel proud of what I saw. It also keeps us in the ACC hunt, and I think Louisville has at least two losses on the schedule while ours gets easier. What a gutty win.

Really big win, especially considering how things were starting to slip away in the 2nd half.

Mr. Hurt must have been checking out DBR and seen all the comments about him being soft, because that was a Big Boy rebound at the end of the game. I never expected Hurt to play this well against FSU, as the match-up didn't seem like it favored his style of play.

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, who expected Goldwire to have his attempt at a layout against a monster 7 footer blocked into outer space? I know I did and I'm shocked that not only did he get the shot off, but he made it. Strongly considered Jordan for MOTM, but those two lazy turnovers made me go elsewhere.

Not the best of games from Tre, but he's really stepping up to become the leader of this team. Looking more and more to take the game over offensively and in crunch time we need a guy like that.

How is Javin only a 65% free throw shooter? He seems to be very clutch down the stretch.

Solid games from everyone else, with each player having a nice play or two.

I'll cut ESPN some slack on that out of bounds call. Jay and his partner stated several times that the FSU player was out of bounds when he touched the ball. Again, the ESPN feed isn't what the refs get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nate Silver says there is a 45% chance you vote for Goldwire, 35% Carey, and 20% “other”
    Means nothing until you have Pomeroy's numbers.