Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    One that should be added to the list is the Brickey block of Lebo's jumper to preserve a win in Chapel Hill. I think Duke had lost 2 or 3 straight games prior to that game. Brickey seemingly leaped out of nowhere to get a hand on that one. Also, I can't remember the year, there was a game where King Rice simply had to hit 2 free throws to put UNC in front, and he missed both. It may have been in '88.
    88 was the first 3-peat year, I think there has been one other. Plus Dean was the Coach. If you are a post-Dean fan of the rivalry leave it to Sumner or one of the old-timers to describe to you while they still can, the stranglehold that Dean and UNC had over the ACC from 1970 until the mid-80s, psychologically, literally, metaphorically, meta-physically...in almost every realm imaginable. Though Duke competed well with UNC during the Bubas era, (Bubas has a winning record over Dean) really Dean's reign began earlier with 3-straight FF trips from 67-69. Except for NCSU's magnificent run in 73-74, Dean owned the ACC, he owned the refs and he owned your fate. The axiom of the day was that the ACC was so competitive, the ACC fraternity so tightly bonded, the enemy so familiar no one could beat another member of the fraternity 3 times in one season because you had learned their weaknesses and strengths in the crucible of competition, titanic tales best retold by Homer. UNC was the only exception. Of course. So when K and Duke swept UNC 3 times in 88--THAT was new. THAT was big and that was a sign that the power structure of the ACC was shifting. So any victory from 88 rates well on the list of great ones, or should.

That's why my choice is 1981. It was Dean on one side and Gene Banks with a newbie Coach on the other. Tink's performance both before, during and after the game was legendary and for a brief moment outshone Dean and UNC.

I am going to go way,way back. In fact, I was only 12 yrs.old way back. I know there have been many games since the one I am talking about that would be considered better qualified than the March,1968 game at then Duke Indoor Stadium, but that game is etched in my mind forever. There are some posters here that remember that game well or better than I do. What I remember most was the fact that UNC(yes, I'll call them that then) were nearly unbeatable then with Miller, Scott, and a bunch of good supporting players. Fred Lind, who hardly ever played, came in for Mike Lewis and became a hero that day, in triple overtime. I will never forget that game as long as I live! I can still see it in my mind. Glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.
    This is still the greatest game that I'm aware of. I was at the game, it was my sophomore year. Toward the end of the third overtime, I remember wondering whether I'd be able to endure a fourth OT if it went that far. It was just an unbelievably tense situation that finally ended with overwhelming joy.

The one in which in Heyman decked Larry Brown! ;0

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.
    Bob, I am much older. I was 9 years, 3 months & a couple of weeks old. I too listened to a lot of Duke games on the radio. I have a nice Duke library of games & what I would give to have a copy of that one. That game still rates at the top of my list but the one Saturday is pretty darn close.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Bob, I am much older. I was 9 years, 3 months & a couple of weeks old. I too listened to a lot of Duke games on the radio. I have a nice Duke library of games & what I would give to have a copy of that one. That game still rates at the top of my list but the one Saturday is pretty darn close.
    That is the ONE as far as I am concerned. I was at the game as a 21 year old Duke student just a few days short of my 22nd birthday. Freddy Lind is my hero! He scored more points in that game than what he had scored the whole year up until then, I believe. When All-American Mike Lewis fouled out, we thought it was all over. Freddy was just remarkable, playing against far superior players---that he just plain beat with clutch shot after clutch shot. After the game, the students waited at the side door, and when he came out, he was carried on their shoulders all the way to the center of the campus! I saw it! Never happened before, and not happened since! Hard to imagine, but prior to Coach K, we Crusties saw incredible play from Coach Bubas' teams.

Ricks

All this talk about the Fred Lind game...I Googled it and found some nuggets...this is nice piece on the game, interviews Bubas, Lewis, Lind and a couple others:
    https://www.greensboro.com/sports/du...c812453ff.html

It depends on your age. For me, Dennard and Banks, So Long and Thanks - 1981. In my time, any win against those guys was completely unexpected. It was a pretty depressing time for Duke basketball, which many of you have fortunately never experienced.

Top 5

Not in order.

1. Triple OT game.
    2. Gene says Good Bye. Coach K..first win over Dean
    3. 86 final to win Coach K's first Regular Season title
    4. Last Saturday's epic comeback
    5. Ties? Rivers 3, Duhon reverse lay up, 82-50...

Question..Ricks..

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    That is the ONE as far as I am concerned. I was at the game as a 21 year old Duke student just a few days short of my 22nd birthday. Freddy Lind is my hero! He scored more points in that game than what he had scored the whole year up until then, I believe. When All-American Mike Lewis fouled out, we thought it was all over. Freddy was just remarkable, playing against far superior players---that he just plain beat with clutch shot after clutch shot. After the game, the students waited at the side door, and when he came out, he was carried on their shoulders all the way to the center of the campus! I saw it! Never happened before, and not happened since! Hard to imagine, but prior to Coach K, we Crusties saw incredible play from Coach Bubas' teams.

Ricks
    Ricks, Was there a notable comeback in that game for the good guys? I can't recall that aspect.

So many
    For some of us older guys..

21-20 win in ACC tourney about 1966. Mike Lewis, made free throws for the WIN.. ( dean starts is stall tactics because he can't win )

RICK KATHERMAN. The Manchester Rifle . about 1972 ?

Gene Banks, Tinkerbell hits last second shot to defeat the cheats.. circa 1980 or 81 ish ?

These were some classics
    Last edited by Rogue; 02-16-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Ricks, Was there a notable comeback in that game for the good guys? I can't recall that aspect.
    Sorry, I can't recall either. I think that they were outplaying us, however, until the first coming of Patrick Davidson took the floor!

ricks

I know some of you have been around for far longer than I have, and many of you have been around for somewhat longer, but I toss the 14 point 2H comeback in cameron in 2011 into the ring.

I'm 100% biased since that would have been my senior year (but for graduating early) and was kyle + nolan's senior season...and to this day, the LOUDEST I've ever heard cameron.

9f baby, 9f.

In case you forgot, kyle and nolan lost a grand total of ZERO games in cameron their final two years...and only 2 overall (both to that frequent traveller from down the road).
    1200. DDMF.