Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wojo's senior day is #1 for me.

Down 17 to the best team in the country who had previously humiliated us on national prime time television, and we came back to win because UNC's short bench was too fatigued. This was before air conditioning in Cameron, and it gave Duke the regular season title.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post

Down 17 to the best team in the country who had previously humiliated us on national prime time television, and we came back to win because UNC's short bench was too fatigued. This was before air conditioning in Cameron, and it gave Duke the regular season title.
    This has to be it - I get teary eyed whenever I watch the game - the Cameron crowd is absolute apex bonkers insane.

Honorable mention to the 2001 game @ UNC. Duke had just lost Boozer to the foot injury and I don't think many people gave us a shot. Battier had that incredible block of Forte on the breakaway.

7-0 halftime. Airball.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    7-0 halftime. Airball.
    ...alltime record for least iron in a half....NONE. So funny....but a shameful game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Anyway, the word "Greatest" is subjective. Maybe I should have used the word "Favorite"... Favorite Duke/Carolina Comeback Win Ever... But no matter. It's great talking about any of these wins.

9F
    82-50 was a comeback game. We would comeback and score; then comeback and score; then comeback and score; etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    82-50 was a comeback game. We would comeback and score; then comeback and score; then comeback and score; etc.
    If anyone has a link to video of Hubert Davis picking a heels win on the ESPN Gameday broadcast that day, I would really like to watch it.

The win over UNLV in the NCAA semis has always been the most heart thumping game for me. The one last Satuday came close. I think it may become my number one UNC game as it ages like a good wine (or in the case of UNC a good whine).
    Last edited by camion; 02-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.

As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.
    Freddy Lind for the Rafters!

I was also at that game as I am Class of Wojo. If you watch this game on Youtube, Vitale complained every 3 minutes how hot it was. (You can also watch me losing 10 pounds of water weight as well.) I'll respectfully dispute that UNC was the best team in the country. They were not #1 at the time, and they didn't even play the national champions. It was the last time anybody will use alphabetical rotations to determine which 5/6 will start.

Scott Van Pelt was very quick to criticize that Saturday's game did not belong on that list. It was a very competitive game played at a lower level. 1995 had a similar record disparity but was played at a higher level (even though we lost).

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I was also at that game as I am Class of Wojo. If you watch this game on Youtube, Vitale complained every 3 minutes how hot it was. (You can also watch me losing 10 pounds of water weight as well.) I'll respectfully dispute that UNC was the best team in the country. They were not #1 at the time, and they didn't even play the national champions. It was the last time anybody will use alphabetical rotations to determine which 5/6 will start.

Scott Van Pelt was very quick to criticize that Saturday's game did not belong on that list. It was a very competitive game played at a lower level. 1995 had a similar record disparity but was played at a higher level (even though we lost).
    I was at the game as well.

Best Duke UNC game ever:
    • Elton's dramatic return to dominate two junior All-American forwards
    • The heat and lack of AC
    • Deano's birthday
    • Wojo's senior day
    • Roshown holding his son in his outstretched arms at centercourt, before the game
    • The 17 point deficit
    • Coach K coming out of half time wearing a polo, because he had ripped his shirt off during the halftime speech
    • Coach K's 500th win
    • The heat and the missed free throws
    • The hug at the end

My facepaint was melted off and on my shirt before the tip off, and by the end, I couldn't hear myself scream it was so loud. Just an absolute blanket of white noise and heat. The most incredible live sports experience I have been a part of.

It was great, and appropriate (it is rare that it is) to storm the court with the rest of the Crazies.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This should probably be a Top 5 or Top 10 list to adequately include all the amazing Duke wins. Duhon's full court layup game in 2004 has to be up there. Even last year's 2nd game when Zion was back from the blown shoe was an intense, really fun game that'd probably sneak into my Top 10. Lots to choose from!

I agree with HBK that this was the most improbable victor. SO many things had to go right for Tre to do what he did just to tie the game. I'm not sure I've seen a finish quite like that in any basketball game at any level.
    I beg to differ with your comment about Zion's coming back in the second game. We lost both regular season games to UNC. Zion did not play in Chapel Hill. Where he made a huge difference was in the semis of the ACC tournament when we played Carolina.

That corrected, it was great to see the Tar Heels try to stop him. Oh, what would last season have been like had Zion been healthy for both Carolina games.

Though I love the Austin Rivers' shot (and it was previously #1), the two miracle game last Saturday is now my #1.

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

Interesting...I did not like that game. We were MUCH better than the Cheats that year, and should have never been down 17 to begin with. I was happy we won, but I thought a disappointing game...in that we should have kicked their fannies.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Interesting...I did not like that game. We were MUCH better than the Cheats that year, and should have never been down 17 to begin with. I was happy we won, but I thought a disappointing game...in that we should have kicked their fannies.
    I am not sure how you can say we were MUCH better than the Cheats that year. I think that was easily the best unc team to not win a National Championship.

If Dean had been there, and they had just not played Makhtar N'Diaye, they probably would have won the whole thing.

They made the Final Four and we did not, FWIW.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Recency bias is real: I don't think any of us can have an objective debate on this topic right now. I know my adrenaline levels are probably STILL elevated!

I will say this: Saturday night's game involved not one, but two comebacks. It was essentially the 2012 comeback, but with an encore! Plus, I think the probability of Tre's missed free-throw gambit working was much lower than the probability of Austin's three.

So right now I'm inclined to pick 2020 over 2012. But again, recency bias.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

My top 3 are:

1) Saturdays win over the Heels in the Dean Dome when no one outside of the most faithful Duke fans thought we could pull it off, not once but twice. Crushing the cheat fans made it so sweet.

2) The 1968 game known to me as the Freddie Lind game is right up there with number one above and for the same reasons that others have stated. Beating a cheating Dean coached team was sweet.

3) Wo-Jo's senior game comes in 3rd.

There have been so many great games that I can't remember them all. But I cherish any win over the school that has many wins in the win-loss column that came about because they sold their soul to get them. GTHC!

GoDuke!

82-50 is the greatest "comeback" against the cheats...after marcus ginyard torched us with that free throw, the team, staff and crazies responded big time !!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I am not sure how you can say we were MUCH better than the Cheats that year. I think that was easily the best unc team to not win a National Championship.

If Dean had been there, and they had just not played Makhtar N'Diaye, they probably would have won the whole thing.

Also, to put it bluntly, they ran over us twice in the first matchup in Chapel Hill (Duke came back from a 20 pt deficit to cut it to 3 only for the Cheats to put it out of reach again) and handled us with ease in the ACCT final. I believe they won the final by 15 points or so. We were a year away from being really special.

UNC game

One that should be added to the list is the Brickey block of Lebo's jumper to preserve a win in Chapel Hill. I think Duke had lost 2 or 3 straight games prior to that game. Brickey seemingly leaped out of nowhere to get a hand on that one. Also, I can't remember the year, there was a game where King Rice simply had to hit 2 free throws to put UNC in front, and he missed both. It may have been in '88.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

We did not match up well head to head with them, but had a better regular season over all, ranked higher...beat them by 2 games in the ACC standings - and had the bad luck of drawing Kentucky in our regional. Had a 17 point lead over UK, only to miss FTs all game and lose. When we were up 17, shoulda been up 25+ and it would have been over. Kentucky thought Duke was the best team they played all year, and Guthridge said Duke was the best team in the country. I agree. The 98 and then 99 teams not winning a Natty was frustrating as heck.