Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    BTW, one reason I like Bill Raftery is that he treats basketball as a game where everyone should be having fun. I like Jay and am proud of him, but he could back off the intensity several degrees and be more effective.
    I hadn't framed it this way in my own mind, but this...100%.

Minor point: we have Jay Bilas threads and Announcer threads already; can we use those for Bilas comments?

Major point: Duke 98, UNC 96 (OT) is coming up on one week past, and the glow still lasts; it is an all-timer!

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Well said. Frankly part of what made the rivalry great was a sense of mutual respect. Doherty and then the scandal really put a dent into that. Ironically, at the same time, the individual players now seem to generate somewhat less disdain - absent a McCants here or a Tyler H there...
    I went to Duke in the late 70s and early 80s, and I never sensed that mutual respect of which you speak. The hatred was strong then (at least among the fans), waaaaay before Doherty or the scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I went to Duke in the late 70s and early 80s, and I never sensed that mutual respect of which you speak. The hatred was strong then (at least among the fans), waaaaay before Doherty or the scandal.
    I agree. I go back as far as the early 60s, and there has never been a "Kumbayah" time in the rivalry. I've lived in NC all this time, save only two years in the Army. Some fans (on either side) are more cordial than others, but even those are only a smirk away from getting pretty testy with each other.

GTHC. It has always been so.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I was at Duke in the same era. I guess I would think of it as more of detente. We could agree that we each thought we were the superior team and fans (Carolina deemed so by a higher authority) and could agree that we each thought the other team and fans sucked. Despite those feelings, we could normally spend a limited amount of time in close proximity without resorting to violence (usually).

I do have friends who went to Carolina and who played for Dean Smith and find them to be genuinely nice people, other than that one glaring shortcoming of theirs which I blame on the unfortunate result of a small gene pool.

So to get this back on topic....

I re-watched the last 10 mins and OT for the nth time today. It was interesting that Coach K appeared very calm through out. Duke also did several things that Dean Smith's unc team's used to do. For example, when the ball went out off of Platek at the end, while the refs were looking at the play, the duke players were listening to Coach K. The unc players were just standing around at mid-court.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So to get this back on topic...

I re-watched the last 10 mins and OT for the nth time today. It was interesting that Coach K appeared very calm through out. Duke also did several things that Dean Smith's unc team's used to do. For example, when the ball went out off of Platek at the end, while the refs were looking at the play, the duke players were listening to Coach K. The unc players were just standing around at mid-court.
    Well, Roy has nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Raftery is my favorite but I don't get to hear him much. Others I like are G-Man and Bonner. One other former announcer that I liked played for the enemy. That was Brad Daugherty. I think he's co-owner of a NASCAR racing team now and at one time announced some of the races.

GoDuke!
    Must spread..blah blah but a very good post. Brad D when he did games..of course he was a Heel but I believe his respect for Coach K & Duke was genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Well, Roy has nothing to say.
    Well, he probably has plenty to say. But nothing useful or relevant to the situation. I mean, his guys don’t want to hear about his off season plans which are set to begin less than one month from now... March 11th to be exact.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Well, he probably has plenty to say. But nothing useful or relevant to the situation. I mean, his guys don’t want to hear about his off season plans which are set to begin less than one month from now... March 11th to be exact.
    Ich bin ein Wahoo.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ich bin ein Wahoo.
    That game is going to be an offensive atrocity.

That game is going to be an offensive atrocity.
    Maybe UVa can hold the cheats scoreless for a half...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Over/under is 117 or 117.5

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe UVa can hold the cheats scoreless for a half...
    No. In history, only Duke has been able to do that. And I, for one, hope it stays that way forever.

No. In history, only Duke has been able to do that. And I, for one, hope it stays that way forever.
    Well, technically, Dean did it ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Over/under is 117 or 117.5
    I said to my son, referring to the cheats, “They’ll be lucky to score 40 tomorrow.” And he responded without missing a beat, “You mean combined?”

Ah, my young padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, technically, Dean did it ...
    Invented it, actually ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I said to my son, referring to the cheats, “They’ll be lucky to score 40 tomorrow.” And he responded without missing a beat, “You mean combined?”

Ah, my young padawan.
    Absolutely! A smart and observant young man. Knows his ACC basketball, that's for sure.

I'll save everyone some time... Carolina is blown out. Message board lights up with complaints. Message board then fills with topics like "I'm proud of this team" or "The refs cheated us".

You can thank me later.

(Blatantly plagiarized from Inside Carolina a moment ago about the UVA game tonight)

Another hard miss chance goes begging, this time for TT at OSU. This time, TT had a pretty good miss. It hit a little on the under side of the rim and came down fast enough to hit the floor about 6-8 feet in front of the rim, but the shooter got anxious (maybe because he knew it was low) and stepped on the free throw line before the ball got to the rim. This one was a bit more difficult due to there only being 2.5 left, so not enough time to scramble if the miss was long. Still another illustration of how hard getting the hard off the front miss is to get right.