Kentucky Bourbon Trail: Please Advise/Suggest

The devildeacs are headed to the land of the missing "D" and "E" next month and a bucket list item will be fulfilled. We're (we'll meet our younger daughter and her husband there) being limited to one day (to maintain domestic tranquility ) so should that day be in Loovill, Bardstown or the Lexington/Franfort area? And, after you make your suggestion, which distilleries are *must* visits. We're staying just south of Red Bird town and might get an extra half day there but I've been emphatically informed there will be no distillery visits that day before we drive up to Columbus . DBR always comes through with threads like these so we're depending on you folks.

(fine print: I'm not bringing back any Pappy for anyone)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I toured a couple distilleries in the Lexington / Frankfort area and really enjoyed it. I can't speak to your other options, but I think you would enjoy the offerings in Lexington. Beautiful part of Kentucky as well.

I went to Buffalo Trace almost a decade ago and really enjoyed the tour and the tasting room. You could buy a couple of things that they don't have in stores. I got a Christmas bourbon cream that was delicious. I have also been to Makers Mark but got there too late to do the tour. Makers Mark is in a pretty rural location while Buffalo Trace is right in Frankfort. There was also a great liquor store in downtown Frankfort IIRC that had a crazy number of different bourbons, which was a revelation to someone who has to live with the limited offering of NC ABC stores. I also toured Woodford Reserve in Versailles, KY and that was delightful as well. What sticks with me after a decade is that this is a centuries old art and it was neat to learn about it and sample the offerings. It was a while back so I'm sure things are even better now.

Enjoy!

Can tell you I ordered a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, and it is excellent over ice.
    Cask strength is way hot and spicy undiluted.

Woodford, Buffalo Trace, and Maker's are the best from what I can remember.

BT is in Frankfort and Woodford is closer to Lexington. There is an 'urban bourbon' trail you can complete if you would rather spend your time in Louisville. I can't speak much to the food and things to do in Frankfort, Lexington. If Louisville ends up being the destination, I know plenty of food and drinking options there

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Woodford, Buffalo Trace, and Maker's are the best from what I can remember.

BT is in Frankfort and Woodford is closer to Lexington. There is an 'urban bourbon' trail you can complete if you would rather spend your time in Louisville. I can't speak much to the food and things to do in Frankfort, Lexington. If Louisville ends up being the destination, I know plenty of food and drinking options there
    The 'urban bourbon' trail is intriguing. Looking like it'll be Bardstown or Louisville. All suggestions still appreciated as we leave Raleigh on Wednesday, March 11.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The devildeacs are headed to the land of the missing "D" and "E" next month and a bucket list item will be fulfilled. We're (we'll meet our younger daughter and her husband there) being limited to one day (to maintain domestic tranquility ) so should that day be in Loovill, Bardstown or the Lexington/Franfort area? And, after you make your suggestion, which distilleries are *must* visits. We're staying just south of Red Bird town and might get an extra half day there but I've been emphatically informed there will be no distillery visits that day before we drive up to Columbus . DBR always comes through with threads like these so we're depending on you folks.

(fine print: I'm not bringing back any Pappy for anyone)

Before you go, watch the documentary "Neat. The story of Bourbon" on Netflix

Then take the buffalo trace tour and pay for the private tasting of the different stages of Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Before you go, watch the documentary "Neat. The story of Bourbon" on Netflix

Then take the buffalo trace tour and pay for the private tasting of the different stages of Bourbon
    Great suggestion! Thanks!

And thanks to other posters' ideas, too, so far.

Finished our day in Bardstown which included a three mile hike around Bernheim Forest and the Forest Giants, self-toured a Trappist Monastery (they make fudge, not bourbon ), ate at Mammy's and toured/tasted at two distilleries, Lux Row and Willett. Thanks for the above suggestions! Reviews on Ymmm, Bourbon, likely tomorrow.