Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How about 17 games, but any player cannot play more than 15.

Make it a chess game wrapped in a football game surrounded by an enigma. Or something.

Looks like in addition to a 17th regular season game, the league wants to add a 7th playoff team per conference, giving only the #1 seeds a 1st round bye. In the proposed new CBA, the players' share of revenue would rise from the current 47% to 48% without an extra regular season game, and to 48.5% if and when the 17th game is added. (The expanded playoffs would go into effect this fall).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...cuss-cba-talks
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Looks like in addition to a 17th regular season game, the league wants to add a 7th playoff team per conference, giving only the #1 seeds a 1st round bye. In the proposed new CBA, the players' share of revenue would rise from the current 47% to 48% without an extra regular season game, and to 48.5% if and when the 17th game is added. (The expanded playoffs would go into effect this fall).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...cuss-cba-talks
    I don't exactly love only giving a bye to the #1 seed, but I do like adding another wildcard and you can't really do that without taking away the bye from the #2 seed, so I'm on board with it. I don't care much about the 17th game, the biggest issue there is unbalanced home/away schedules (both in terms of schedule difficulty and home ticket sales for the teams that only get 8).

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    How about 17 games, but any player cannot play more than 15.

Make it a chess game wrapped in a football game surrounded by an enigma. Or something.
    Pretty sure you would have to like triple the size of the roster to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't care much about the 17th game, the biggest issue there is unbalanced home/away schedules (both in terms of schedule difficulty and home ticket sales for the teams that only get 8)
    There's been a fair bit of speculation that if they add a 17th game, every team would get a neutral-site game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    There's been a fair bit of speculation that if they add a 17th game, every team would get a neutral-site game.
    I've heard that proposed by random people talking about it, I hadn't heard any speculation from anyone of authority that that's what they'd do. How neutral is neutral? I assume they won't play all the 17 extra games in London or Mexico...right?

I assume they won't play all the 17 extra games in London or Mexico...right?
    The NFL owners are not dummies. Give a bye week to prep/travel, I am sure they are eyeing games in Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul, and Toyko. I would not be surprised to see Paris, Rio, Berlin, Barcelona, and Rome on the calendar too in coming years.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I've heard that proposed by random people talking about it, I hadn't heard any speculation from anyone of authority that that's what they'd do. How neutral is neutral? I assume they won't play all the 17 extra games in London or Mexico...right?
    Well, if it was a person in authority I don't think that would really be speculation. At any rate, the CEO of the Packers, who's on the league's exec committee, talked about it last summer.

NFL owners have raised the prospect of adding a single game to the regular season that must be played at a neutral site, Packers President & CEO Mark Murphy said Friday.
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...07/12/NFL.aspx

As to where the games would be, I don't know about all of them, but I think Jason's right that the league is anxious to increase the number of games abroad.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The NFL owners are not dummies. Give a bye week to prep/travel, I am sure they are eyeing games in Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul, and Toyko. I would not be surprised to see Paris, Rio, Berlin, Barcelona, and Rome on the calendar too in coming years.
    Or St. Louis, Portland and San Antonio.

Sweet! More chances to see the Lions stink!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'