Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

17 Game NFL Schedule

Evidently the NFL is proposing adding another regular season game, 17 game schedule.

What do you think?

While I enjoy watching pro football, to me the 16 game schedule is fine. One more game means more tired players and I guess more injuries and then more games decided by backups rather than the starters.

Really wish the NFL would leave it alone.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Evidently the NFL is proposing adding another regular season game, 17 game schedule.

What do you think?

While I enjoy watching pro football, to me the 16 game schedule is fine. One more game means more tired players and I guess more injuries and then more games decided by backups rather than the starters.

Really wish the NFL would leave it alone.

SoCal
    I'm a hard "no" on this.

And baseball should go back to 154 games because games should not be played in November.

And the NCAA should not start basketball until Thanksgiving.

Thank you for coming to my Theodore Talk (which is a Ted Talk by and for old grumpy people).

They have been talking for a long time about lengthening the real season and cutting back the number of preseason "games." Obviously they get ticket revenue from the preseason, but the real money is in the TV rights. 16 should be plenty.

Isn't one of the other ideas in the mix that for a 17 or 18 (or 'N') game schedule, you would have to limit players to a cap of N-2 games they're allowed to participate in.

Would definitely throw a wrinkle into roster makeup and almost forces a confidence pool out of it.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

I guess I'm an old fogey in the "more isn't better" camp, but I can't say I feel strongly about it.

The biggest issue for me is player safety (or if I didn't care about the players, the consistency of the product on the field). Current players (without long term guaranteed contracts) take so much of a beating during the season that adding an extra game will take even more of a toll. Some potential solutions would be eliminating 2 pre-season games and adding a second bye week. Also getting rid of the horrid Thursday games but I don't think that is really on the table. How can the league ensure that players, who can barely make it through 16 games, can get through 17?

After player safety, other issues I've seen surfaced are not insurmountable, such as the unbalanced schedule. I assume instead of some teams having 9 home games and others having 9 road games, the extra game would be at a neutral site for everyone, like London, Mexico City, St Louis/San Diego/Oakland (too soon?), etc. Some interesting potential here to grow the game, so this actually seems interesting to me (other than when I forget to set my fantasy line-up for the 9:30 am London Kick-offs).

Also I've seen concern with the sprawl of the schedule. I assume by shortening the pre-season the NFL won't move games up to have the season start in August, but instead will extend the season deeper into Feb? So displacing NBA/NHL/College BB for 1-2 more weeks? Probably the biggest impact would be the NBA all star game, but with the changes the NBA is considering it may not be an issue.

TL;DR - some logistics that can be solved, if they can take care of the players

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    This is such a dumb problem with such an easy solution.

If the NFL wants to make a lot of TV money by adding an 18th week to its schedule, then do it. 16 games in 18 weeks. It gives the players 2 bye weeks instead of an extra game, which should be okay by the Players Association. Vegas gets another week of action. Concessions and local businesses get no more or less than before. Travel expenses are the same. And the product gets oh-so-slightly diluted (14 games in a week instead of 15). TV providers can't complain because whatever game they lose is more than made up for with the extra week of coverage. The most inconvenienced party is the fantasy football enthusiast, who now has to keep an eye on a second bye week.

I'm sure there are some small glitches to making it happen, but it has to be easier than adding a 17th week of play.

Once again, Roger Goodell has proven himself to be an inferior human being in every way. His continued authority and financial success is one of the great failures of modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

If the NFL wants to make a lot of TV money by adding an 18th week to its schedule, then do it. 16 games in 18 weeks. It gives the players 2 bye weeks instead of an extra game, which should be okay by the Players Association. Vegas gets another week of action. Concessions and local businesses get no more or less than before. Travel expenses are the same. And the product gets oh-so-slightly diluted (14 games in a week instead of 15). TV providers can't complain because whatever game they lose is more than made up for with the extra week of coverage. The most inconvenienced party is the fantasy football enthusiast, who now has to keep an eye on a second bye week.

I'm sure there are some small glitches to making it happen, but it has to be easier than adding a 17th week of play.

Once again, Roger Goodell has proven himself to be an inferior human being in every way. His continued authority and financial success is one of the great failures of modern society.
    In a 17 game schedule, does each team play at home for eight, away for eight, and internationally for number 17?

This is spot on. It's not the extra game they want it's the extra week. I would be in favor of this because it creates a higher percentage chance of having your best players on the field and healthy with the extra rest which in theory should improve your product.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This is spot on. It's not the extra game they want it's the extra week. I would be in favor of this because it creates a higher percentage chance of having your best players on the field and healthy with the extra rest which in theory should improve your product.
    Eh... I suspect owners want an extra game of tickets, tv revenue, parking, concessions, etc. Not just another week of having the season extended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Eh... I suspect owners want an extra game of tickets, tv revenue, parking, concessions, etc. Not just another week of having the season extended.
    Keeping staff "on call" for an extra week might have some additional cost as well (I have no idea how stadium/gameday staffing works, generally).

This is a topic I don't care much about one way or the other.

oh boy, what a deal from the players' standpoint, one more opportunity to incur a serious injury. If the owners had their way, it'd be a thirty game schedule, but at some point you run out of gladiators.

I completely agree with this idea. The bulk of revenues come from TV, so another week of TV allows for larger TV contracts. This gets them there without risking player health or anything else. It would dilute the weekly schedule slightly but the tradeoff is worth it. Also, this would potentially allow for more flexibility in trying to align one of the bye weeks to the weekend before Thursday night games, so the difficulty of those quick turnarounds is minimized. And if they continue to expand the international schedule, the extra bye also helps with that.

The question is whether you cut one (or more) exhibition games to make this happen, or make the season go longer. I have heard rumblings of moving the Super Bowl back two weeks so that it is the Sunday night before President's Day, but I don't know if that has legs.

This thought bears repeating.

I articulated this in another thread, will share again because why not?

Won’t happen due to $$$, the NFL should be reducing the number of games.
    The NFL should also do “something innovative” with helmets that protects the players without weaponising the helmet.

My third proposal would be to have two NFLs, an unlimited weight class, and a sub 225(?) pound league (or pick a weight limit). As big as these lineman are, they cannot be that big without those metal structural support leg braces.

My final wish for the NFL is to replace the players with exploding robots and footballs as popularized (lol) by the arcade game Cyber Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I articulated this in another thread, will share again because why not?

Won’t happen due to $$$, the NFL should be reducing the number of games.
    The NFL should also do “something innovative” with helmets that protects the players without weaponising the helmet.

My third proposal would be to have two NFLs, an unlimited weight class, and a sub 225(?) pound league (or pick a weight limit). As big as these lineman are, they cannot be that big without those metal structural support leg braces.

My final wish for the NFL is to replace the players with exploding robots and footballs as popularized (lol) by the arcade game Cyber Bowl.
    I have long supported an "innovative" helmet solution. Put the padding on the outside of the helmet instead of the inside. This "reverse weaponizing" of the helmet would depend on the laws of physics instead of the referees to prevent inappropriate use of the helmet. Physics is pretty darned consistent in enforcing its rules.*

*I tried to work out how to implement Schrödinger's helmet, but that solution was hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I have long supported an "innovative" helmet solution. Put the padding on the outside of the helmet instead of the inside. This "reverse weaponizing" of the helmet would depend on the laws of physics instead of the referees to prevent inappropriate use of the helmet. Physics is pretty darned consistent in enforcing its rules.*

*I tried to work out how to implement Schrödinger's helmet, but that solution was hit or miss.

you still have to figure out how to stop the brain's motion when the body stops.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    you still have to figure out how to stop the brain's motion when the body stops.
    Absolutely. The concept of a "safe helmet" is absurd.

I'm all for a 17th week. We used to get a few decent preseason games and a 16 game schedule. The preseason games have become a complete joke so I say we replace 1 or 2 of those crappy games with a regular season game. If we go from 4 preseason and 16 regular season to 2 preseason and 17 regular season games, the actual number of games would go down.

So for me it's either, fix the preseason games in some way (free or super cheap tix since only wannabes are playing, or something more than just a regular game since the game's a joke anyway) or add a regular season game.

Note, I don't think a 17th game will ever be added.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I say put a balloon on the top of everyone's helmet and if the balloon pops, you have to sit out a certain number of plays. Certainly the helmet-to-helmet collisions would decrease.
    Plus it would be great watching guys run around with balloons on their helmets/heads!

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I say put a balloon on the top of everyone's helmet and if the balloon pops, you have to sit out a certain number of plays. Certainly the helmet-to-helmet collisions would decrease.
    Plus it would be great watching guys run around with balloons on their helmets/heads!
    The Pats would fill their helmet balloons with helium … and lacquer their balloons so they would never pop.