Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    There is a small amount of ambiguity in the statement, but the Ivy League appears to have reaffirmed its traditional undergrads-only policy. The transfer portal will be interesting, to say the least.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/colleg...pring-athletes

The Cheats lost another key 2020 recruit.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...he-terps/56246

US Lacrosse magazine is doing sims of the men’s and women’s tournaments, starting with selection shows tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There is a small amount of ambiguity in the statement, but the Ivy League appears to have reaffirmed its traditional undergrads-only policy. The transfer portal will be interesting, to say the least.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/colleg...pring-athletes

The Cheats lost another key 2020 recruit.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...he-terps/56246

US Lacrosse magazine is doing sims of the men’s and women’s tournaments, starting with selection shows tomorrow.
    Ha, not a great look for the Heels when a guy decommits whose brother plays for the Heels and his father was a captain there. Pity.

p.s. I see where seniors for some programs are already announcing they are returning next year (e.g. tOSU) so I guess we can hope to hear something from Duke soon...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, it's really hard to guess who might choose to play another year and who chooses to move on...some have the pros as an option (e.g. presumably Giles-Harris)...
    As the commercial goes, most of the seniors are going to go pro in something other than sports. And even many of those who go pro in lax will also have a day job. So I'm sure that once they know the parameters of returning to school (scholarship availability, what would they actually study, how many slots will there be, etc.), many of the seniors would have to have discussions with their intended employers about deferring jobs for a year. And given the turmoil in the world right now, who knows what types of answers they are getting from the employers.

So there is a lot going on for these kids, much of it far away from the lacrosse field. I'm surprised that anyone is making definitive decisions right now - there is so much in flux.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As the commercial goes, most of the seniors are going to go pro in something other than sports. And even many of those who go pro in lax will also have a day job. So I'm sure that once they know the parameters of returning to school (scholarship availability, what would they actually study, how many slots will there be, etc.), many of the seniors would have to have discussions with their intended employers about deferring jobs for a year. And given the turmoil in the world right now, who knows what types of answers they are getting from the employers.

So there is a lot going on for these kids, much of it far away from the lacrosse field. I'm surprised that anyone is making definitive decisions right now - there is so much in flux.
    that's what surprised me, the various stories in Inside Lacrosse already announcing that kids are returning...I didn't expect they could make a decision this soon...I definitely agree, there are many considerations..

With today's economic climate it may be smart to add a graduate degree to one's resume. Can't hurt. Uncertainty reigns.

that's what surprised me, the various stories in Inside Lacrosse already announcing that kids are returning...I didn't expect they could make a decision this soon...I definitely agree, there are many considerations..
    I don't think this will be a big movement for Duke in or out, but it will be more for our competition. We might fill a specific and immediate need. We might lose some to lack of PT between returning seniors and the incoming class.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    We might fill a specific and immediate need.
    Paging Mr. Goss, Mr. Phil Goss.

I don't think this will be a big movement for Duke in or out, but it will be more for our competition. We might fill a specific and immediate need. We might lose some to lack of PT between returning seniors and the incoming class.
    I'm thinking mostly in terms of retaining a key senior or three

Inside Lacrosse is reporting that the Patriot League will allow member schools to make their own decisions as to how to handle seniors who have the extra year of eligibility. Of course, seniors at Army and Navy will begin military assignments immediately after graduation. Further, a number of the Patriot League schools have very limited graduate programs. The article indicates that Loyola is attempting to make accommodations on a case-by-case basis.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...programs/56252

I'm thinking mostly in terms of retaining a key senior or three
    I'm not worried about key players from 2020 leaving even if they lose some PT, but we will see.

I'm not worried about key players from 2020 leaving even if they lose some PT, but we will see.
    I wonder how many there can be, and if Duke will allocate scholarship money (including partial scholarships) for them...no doubt Coach D would want some guys back more than others...

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    With today's economic climate it may be smart to add a graduate degree to one's resume. Can't hurt. Uncertainty reigns.
    Yes--and this may be a situation somewhat like the last recession, in which many employers delayed new graduates' start dates--the employers might be quite willing to defer offers for a year if their own businesses are projecting to be a lot slower than usual.

I wonder how many there can be, and if Duke will allocate scholarship money (including partial scholarships) for them...no doubt Coach D would want some guys back more than others...
    Good question, although since almost all lax scholarships are partial due to the small number allowed, it might be more of a symbolic gesture for some of the players than a financial necessity. Has the NCAA made any allowances in scholarship allotments along with its eligibility decision?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes--and this may be a situation somewhat like the last recession, in which many employers delayed new graduates' start dates--the employers might be quite willing to defer offers for a year if their own businesses are projecting to be a lot slower than usual.

Good question, although since almost all lax scholarships are partial due to the small number allowed, it might be more of a symbolic gesture for some of the players than a financial necessity. Has the NCAA made any allowances in scholarship allotments along with its eligibility decision?

The Inside Lacrosse article at the link below appeared earlier in the week and indicates that a school may exceed the normal limit of 12.6 men's lacrosse scholarships, "if a player who was on scholarship returns for a fifth year and is given the same aid." There was speculation last month that the NCAA would simply increase the scholarship limit by 25% to account for an additional class of players. The description provided by Inside Lacrosse seems very inflexible and leads to differences among schools, depending upon the amount of scholarship money that was allocated this year to players in the class of 2020.

The article includes a link to the NCAA press release that accompanied the decision by the Division 1 Council. As I read it, the press release does not match the description in the Inside Lacrosse article and only states that there is no requirement that the schools provide the same level of aid as in 2020. The NY Times article that I read on the Division 1 Council decision also did not shed any light on the specific adjustment that is being made to the 12.6-scholarship limit.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...gibility/56229
    Last edited by DST Fan; 04-05-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    The Inside Lacrosse article at the link below appeared earlier in the week and indicates that a school may exceed the normal limit of 12.6 men's lacrosse scholarships, "if a player who was on scholarship returns for a fifth year and is given the same aid." There was speculation last month that the NCAA would simply increase the scholarship limit by 25% to account for an additional class of players. The description provided by Inside Lacrosse seems very inflexible and leads to differences among schools, depending upon the amount of scholarship money that was allocated this year to players in the class of 2020.

The article includes a link to the NCAA press release that accompanied the decision by the Division 1 Council. As I read it, the press release does not match the description in the Inside Lacrosse article and only states that there is no requirement that the schools provide the same level of aid as in 2020. The NY Times article that I read on the Division 1 Council decision also did not shed any light on the specific adjustment that is being made to the 12.6-scholarship limit.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...gibility/56229
    good info. So, now the question becomes which schools will pony up the extra scholarship money. Ordinarily it would be a relative pittance, but if there is no football season this Fall, many schools (not all Lax schools, e.g. Loyola, Denver et al) will be facing huge budget problems...I hope we can retain some of our top guys...

The fine folks at collegecrosse.com selected All-Freshman teams, and Duke is well represented. Dyson Williams and Tyler Carpenter are on the first time, and Kenny Brower is on the third team. Congrats to all.

Princeton’s Michael Sowers, for my money the 2020 POTY, has entered the transfer portal, per IL.

Princeton’s Michael Sowers, for my money the 2020 POTY, has entered the transfer portal, per IL.
    Might we be interested?

Any interest in/from Duke.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

if I'm reading things correctly, our Joe Robertson has a brother who plays at Princeton who is also entering The Portal...

Sowers on what he’s looking for:

“Great academics, obviously, but I want to go win a national championship,” he said. “That’s been my goal since I’ve been at Princeton. I want to win a national championship and bring one to a group of guys that is a special locker room. That’s what we had at Princeton. I want to provide that spark to a locker room and fit into a culture where I can put a program in the best position to win a national championship.”

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/colleg...-to-this-point

Gee, that doesn’t sound much like any place we know, does it?