Well Racing Fans.

Is anyone open to discuss the ponies for the upcoming year.

There aren't any Hurley horses really to discuss (Songandaprayer descendants are few and far between, but we'll keep looking).

But, the Thoroughbred Triple Crown Prep Races are about to kick into high gear this weekend with 3 (perhaps 4) preps this weekend.

All races on Saturday, February 1, 2020:

The Withers at Aqueduct, Race 8
Two horses already with Derby Points in this one:
Shotski (10), Prince of Pharoahs (3)
+ Monday Morning QB looks to be the post time favorite, and an obvious weekend hunch bet.
+ Shotski won the Remsen (but then Believe It beat Alydar in the Remsen as a 2YO, so big woo).
+ Portos has big speed numbers, but took 4 races to break his maiden, and now is in Stakes company; big jump.
A lot of early speed. I expect Monday Morning QB to stalk and sling shot to victory.

The Holy Bull at Gulfstream Park, Race 11
Only Tiz the Law (12) has Derby Points
+Tiz The Law was one of the top colts in the 2YO class, until a dull effort on an off track against Silver Prospector (that one lost last week in his 2020 debut). The track figures to be fast, and I'm willing to stand up for the (son of the) Constitution!!! Barclay Tagg avoided the Breeders Cup because it was too soon after the Champagne last year, so he is picking his spots.

+Ete Indien looks wicked fast, but I'm not buying it. Grass pedigree.
+Toledo is by Into Mischief and had traffic problems; top connections. Could be a monster. Works are average.

The Robert B. Lewis, Race 6.
Two horses with Derby Points in this one:
Thousand Words (10), Zimba Warrior (2)
+ Thousand Words is trained by Baffert, is undefeated, has won at this distance, and is the grandson of the recently deceased Empire Maker. A Picture should be worthy of this horse.
+ High Velocity doesn't look fast enough

Note that the 20th horse in the gate at Churchill Downs last year had accrued 40 Derby Points and there are 10 points up for grabs in each of the races tomorrow.

There is also the Swale Stakes at 7 Furlongs for 3YOs tomorrow. Swale is the ill fated son of Seattle Slew who won the KY Derby and Belmont, only to die a few days after that latter race. Why he only meritted a 7 furlong race, I just don't know. But this used to be a prep race for Triple Crown hopefuls. Now perhaps the winner will try to move up to that bunch.

+ Untitled put in an eye-popping debut for Mark Casse. Can he do it again?
+ Green Light Go is by far the class of this field
+ Shivaree may have figured it out and is a tough competitor

If this is an interesting enough topic, I'll add pointers to the Past Performances. Let me know. Otherwise I'll just fade away.

Larry
DevilHorse